X

Valve Adjustment 06

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Adjustment 06

Alright I have searched and cannot find a difinative answer. I have a 2006 750 with 1200 miles. It has allot of valve noise. Local dealer tells me I have shimmed valves and don't need an adjustment this early. During my search here I see info that tells me that I have adjustable valves and not shim ones. Cybers site sells the adjustment tool listing up to 2006. Does the 2006 have shims or adjustable screws? Is the dealer feeding me a line or what.
    Thanks
    2006 Katana 750+

well, im not sure about the 750, but I have a 600, and the valves needed adjusting at 600 miles, and im now at 3000, and I can 'hear' it, it needs it again.
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

I believe 98+ Katanas are screw type, I don't think an 06 would be shim types, but I'm not sure.

Comment

The dealer is flat out wrong.

All Katana 750's, and 88-90 and 98-06 Katana 600's have nut-adjuster valves. And the service interval is at 600 miles, then at 7500 and every 7500 after that. It's printed in your owner's manual if in doubt.

Suzuki says the bike needs an adjustment at 600 miles because, statistically speaking, one in twenty valves will be "significantly out of adjustment" at that point. Since your bike has 16 valves, that means there's an 80% chance that at least one of the valves will be significantly out of adjustment.

I'm going to suggest you learn to do the service yourself, seeing how as it appears that your dealer is a bonehead.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Everyone and Cyber. Have adjusted them before on my old honda I had years ago. just knew nothing about these shims he was trying to tell me about how critical getting the shims just right. Will definately do it myself. Never have trusted dealers. Think now he was trying to scare me out of doing it myself. Need to order your tool now.
          Thanks
          Timbercreek
          2006 Katana 750+

Comment

Nope, no shims!
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ok now I can't find how to order Cyber's valve adjustment tool.
              Help!
              2006 Katana 750+

Comment

PM The CyberPoet and include your paypal address and what you are interested in... He usually sends the payment request then.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

gotta ask. Never done my vaves, I can start to hear them..

Q's:: Simple to do? if so.. anyone have a link to the thread on here that explains it. I just get tons of garbage threads w/ the word valve in them..

Thanks, sry to hijack..

-=Peace

Comment

Originally posted by AzCyco

Q's:: Simple to do? if so.. anyone have a link to the thread on here that explains it. I just get tons of garbage threads w/ the word valve in them..

Thanks, sry to hijack..

-=Peace
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves

Thanks, sry to hijack..

-=Peace
                      http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/trinc/valve.htm
                      +1

thanks bro

Comment

It's not difficult, just time consuming -- provided you know how to use a set of feeler gauges correctly and have a torque wrench.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have the above mentioned tools. After looking at your DIY on this. There is a yellow, I think yellow, handled tool I'm not familliar with.. Something I need? or could I use a smaller wrench to adj.

Seems like something I could do, easy. Just not 100% yet. I'll need to read up on this more..

Thanks CP.. !!

Comment

When I did it the first time, I cracked open the motor and just measured everything a few times. Then went and did the adjustment. It's really not that hard if you can get to the point where you have the valve cover off...
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I have the above mentioned tools. After looking at your DIY on this. There is a yellow, I think yellow, handled tool I'm not familliar with.. Thanks CP.. !!
                              That's a valve tappet adjustment tool. I get $7.50 for them delivered in the USA. It's like the key for a robertson screw, specifically sized for your valves.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X