Katana of the Month - August 2008  lee3645

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
radon
Chicken Strip

Default Bike won't run without choke

The bike won't stay running without the choke on. Just stalls. Once its running I can shut the choke off quickly and give it some gas to keep it going above 4k or so it runs fine but then when i let go of the throttle it stalls again.

Replaced plugs fouled plugs because I ran it to long with the choke on. Done a carb clean myself following Carbs 101 didn't change anything. Had a shop sync up carbs and clean everything, still didn't change anything. Mechanic said the carbs didn't look terrible but made sure the pilot jets ( i think thats what they are called ) looked clear. Battery has a charge. The oil is a generic brand I found at an autostore for four stroke motorcycle engines. Fairly apparent the previous owner didn't take really good care of the bike. Has just over 50k miles so one of the previous owners did though. Mechanic said everything looked good except for the lack of being able to have a constant idle. Any suggestions? I have searched and lots of ppl have similar problems but I have tried their solutions without success.

Also the bike is a 1996 GSX600F Katana with 50k miles. Any suggestions short of a new motor would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
radon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
md86
Katastical

eBay ID: md86dammit

Well , it sure SOUNDS like the thing ain't fueling properly at idle for some reason , which USUALLY means there's crap in the pilot circuit , not necesarrily the pilot JET .... Usually it's the 3 little holes near the front that are plugged , or the pilot needle/screw .

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86
md86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
radon
Chicken Strip

where exactly are these three holes? do you have a picture and don't you think the mechanic would have checked/cleaned those?

Another symptom that I failed to mention was the bike with the choke on will run but have varying rpms like the motor never seems to settle down it just varies from like 2k - 4k.

I will have a look at the carbs for the three holes.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Damian
Katrider

Even though the carbs are synched, they could still need to have the pilot screws adjusted. Do you know how many turns out yours are?

I did the poor man's jet kit this morning and tweaked the pilot settings. This made a huge difference in the idle problem I've been having. The screws don't seem perfect right now, but I'm sure I'm within a half-turn. They are 2 turns out right now.

Do you have the stock needle and jets?

Can you adjust the idle screw enough to keep it running?
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
md86
Katastical

eBay ID: md86dammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by radon
where exactly are these three holes?
Inside the float bowl is this little cirlce section near the engine-side . Plus the hole for the pilot screw . If you look in the engine-side carb thoat and push the butterflies out of the way , you'll see the holes on the floor .
md86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
radon
Chicken Strip

Just started to drill out the brass plugs to get to the a/f screws (those are also considered the pilot screws right?)
The two that I have checked seem fine (set to 2 turns out) but I need to get to the other two and check. I will play with idle to see if i can get the bike to run without the choke on. hopefully I don't foul the plugs trying to run it.

On a side note doesn't look like I will be riding soon anyway b/c of the weather. It snowed/rained lastnight and everything is slushy and a mess this morning.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
Black_peter
--Zombie--
Supporting Member

eBay ID: caferacer1964

Since you have the carbs out, hose everything down with carb cleaner. All the tiny holes you can get to.
Also carefully run those screws all the way out and spray in the ports, clean the tips etc. Be very careful of the washer/spring/oring set up. Get that oring pinched or damaged and furgettaboutit. Clean those ports then clean them again (did I mention cleaning them?).
Even after I disassembled and cleaned the carbs I had to get in there twice with carb cleaner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
I did the poor man's jet kit this morning and tweaked the pilot settings.
Can you fill me in on that? I don't know about this.
Black_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Damian
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
I did the poor man's jet kit this morning and tweaked the pilot settings.
Can you fill me in on that? I don't know about this.
I was talking about the technique of placing a shim under the needles and richening the pilot screws.

At two turns out, this has worked pretty well, but I think it's still a little lean at idle. I'm going to do another half or quarter turn out.

I haven't noticed any performance increase from doing this, though the RPMs drop back down to idle much quicker.
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

Nobody else asked, but I definitely will:
What air filter are you running?

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet
Old 04-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
radon
Chicken Strip

The air filter is a basic oem cone filter. I also changed it recently when I found gas or oil inside the air filter housing.
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101