X

swingarm liscence plate mount

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swingarm liscence plate mount

check it out... just found it on ebay....

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
    "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

That's cool. Anybody know if it's legal? Wish it was SS or Aluminum though...
    Mario
    91 Katana 600

Comment

Legality would depend on your location. I know it's illegal in my state. For some reason the Harley guys get away with it, but everyone I know who has done it to their sportbike has gotten nailed for it.

Here's the section of the Indiana code, note that the plate must be both horizontal and at least 12 inches from the ground. The swingarm mount obviously fails the horizontal part and possibly the 12" depending on the bike and the mount.

IC 9-18-2-26
      License plates; display
      Sec. 26. (a) License plates shall be displayed as follows:
      (1) For a motorcycle, trailer, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.
      (2) For a tractor, upon the front of the vehicle.
      (3) For every other vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.
      (b) A license plate shall be securely fastened, in a horizontal position, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:
      (1) to prevent the license plate from swinging;
      (2) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate;
      (3) in a place and position that are clearly visible;
      (4) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and
      (5) not obstructed or obscured by tires, bumpers, accessories, or other opaque objects.
      You may want to check your local laws for similar language. I don't usually mind fudging a bit on the law with aftermarket turn signals and loud pipes, but I leave my plates where they're supposed to be. The swingarm mounts have always struck me as a bit "chopper-ish" anyway.
      I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXtreme
        That's cool. Anybody know if it's legal? Wish it was SS or Aluminum though...

There you go.

I'm willing to bet most cops have more important things to do than worry about a swingarm license plate mount. More than likely it would be an "add on" ticket when you got pulled over from a major infraction like speeding.
        Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
        http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
        http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

Comment

Sweet. Cops are a pain here though... My minitruck had a angled tag on the tailgate and I got pulled over for it multiple times so finally I gave up and straightened it.
          Mario
          91 Katana 600

Comment

I like the concept as well, but also think it's chopperish.. But at night time you'll have no light on the plate. I always thought you had to have a liscense plate light on yer plate?

The way I ride. Last thing I need is another write up to go along w/ the ticket..

-=Peace

Comment

Here in Louisiana I get a bit spoiled though too. We have numerous channels to get "help" with tickets. I personally only have two tickets for riding a motorcycle without a helmet from 10 years ago. The kicker is I just bought my first bike in September of '06.
              Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
              http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
              http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

Comment

I can't believe it!!!

I can't believe it, but it appears this would be legal in Virginia.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

§ 46.2-716. How license plates fastened to vehicle; altering appearance of license plates.

A. Every license plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer to which it is assigned:

1. So as to prevent the plate from swinging,

2. In a position to be clearly visible, and

3. In a condition to be clearly legible.

B. No colored glass, colored plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or any other type of covering shall be placed, mounted, or installed on, around, or over any license plate if such glass, plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or other type of covering in any way alters or obscures (i) the alpha-numeric information, (ii) the color of the license plate, (iii) the name or abbreviated name of the state wherein the vehicle is registered, or (iv) any character or characters, decal, stamp, or other device indicating the month or year in which the vehicle's registration expires. No insignia, emblems, or trailer hitches or couplings shall be mounted in such a way as to hide or obscure any portion of the license plate or render any portion of the license plate illegible.

C. The Superintendent may make such regulations as he may deem advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of the license plate on the vehicle.

(Code 1950, § 46-102; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-107; 1960, c. 119; 1986, c. 186; 1989, c. 727; 2000, c. 258; 2001, c. 19; 2006, c. 549.)
                2000 Katana 600 (Sold )
                2008 GSXR 600

Comment

Working...
                X