X

custom pipes for a 1995 600 ??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom pipes for a 1995 600 ??

i want to keep the dual cans because it just looks better with the skinny rear tire. my local exhaust guy is into bikes and i was thinking of having him make me bigger head pipes. anybody ever try this? id like to know what pipe diameter to use and the best placement for the equalizer pipe (i noticed some newer models have the pipe close to the cylinders and only connect the two center cylinders rather than conecting the mid pipes after the collecters)

or if another dual can bike (1100) head pipes would fit to make this easier... thanx

Good question.
    Knee jerk answer:

Use the same diameter tubing but control the bends and welds better. You could match the Siamese pipes of the pre or post IMO. Make the collector (under the engine) similarly. I think the deal is that after X number of cylinder diameters away from the exhaust port the exhaust isn't very important. But I can't remember if that is two strokes only. Exhaust is a viscus fluid, however it is pulsed so you need to think about it more as a sound wave than a fluid like water. Bigger is not always better. Bigger pipes have a different resonant frequency and could reduce performance.

Comment

Regarding the equalizer pipe (called a crossover pipe on cars) the rule is to take a yellow or white crayon/grease pencil and draw a stripe down from your collectors to the cans and then take it for a short, hard run.
      The point where the crayon (or grease pencil) is burned away on each pipe is the place to mount the crossover (the hottest points). It's worth about 10hp on your average V8.

This probably has zero to do with motorcycles, but I thought I'd share this tidbit of cager lore with everyone.

Comment

Hmmm Interesting....

Comment

thanks for the info.... i was really considering increasing the pipe diameter slightly to gain a bit more volume, both flow and noise. i don't want a "loud" pipe but the bike is just to quiet. what o/d do the aftermarket pipes have ? im assuming the cans are packed, rather than baffled so i wont be able to gain anything on that end.

Comment

Working...
          X