X

license plate light

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• license plate light

I was told by the guys who inspect my bike every spring that I need to light up my license plate. Last year I cut off the shovel and made my own bracket but didn't run any lights or wireing to the bracket. So this is where you come in.

It needs to be lit and Im up for ideas, now I am kind of hands on and was thinking of LEDs but its hard to find orange ones and Im not sure if I want to light up the whole bike with orange LEDs but at the same time I think 1 LED on the rear would look stupid unless I use only 1 white LED. Are there any other opions? Now what ever I use needs to be able to run off of the stock battery and sleaker the look the better.

You can drill like I did and pop your stock light in there. I can snap a picture later for you. You cant even tell it is there unless you look under but it lights up the plate well.
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Look for LiteBolts. They replace your license plate screws and the have white LEDs in them. Work fine for a plate light.

Comment

I drilled through the plastic with a huge drill bit. To make sure it was a good fit, I used wood to test the diameter first. You could also heat up a socket if you don't want to buy the huge bit. I don't recall what size the bit was. Then I just stuck it in there facing down of course.
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Comment

Here are some pics

Comment

Also, much much easier if you remove the tail fairings when you drill.

Comment

so is the bulb is open to the elements? What I mean by that is there a cover over the light or is the light all by its self?

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                Look for LiteBolts. They replace your license plate screws and the have white LEDs in them. Work fine for a plate light.

http://www.dalhems.com/electronics/litenbolt.html
                I think Sweetlou used LED washer sprayers..
                I'm putting these on my list..
                Thanks for the link Junior!

After reviewing the prices I'll be making my own!
                I thought it was $39 CDN.. ($4.99 USD right??)

Comment

I bought a set of these. I got the red reflective ones in the hopes they will satisfy the requirement to have a red reflector on the rear in Texas.

They work really well, but they don't look as slick as the LED bolts.
                  1994 Naked Katana 600
                  Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Did it work?

Comment

Do a search at Targa. They have quite a few options.

I did mine like katanasoldier. Mine is exposed to the elements, which bothers me a bit. When I get the new tail put on, it won't matter anymore.
                      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                      -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                        Did it work?
                        They function great, but it's not due for inspection for like another 10 months, so I'll have to wait and see.
                        1994 Naked Katana 600
                        Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Yup slightly exposed but tucked in good. Beats getting pulled over at night.

Comment

Off Ebay I bought a couple of LED Bolts .. they are basically bolts that have been drilled out and had LEDs mounted inside them .. they were as cheap as chips .. drilled up into the plastic undertray just in front of the plate bolted them in and wired the up to the old plate light .. and its looks good.. I got the white LEds because the cops here get peaved if you use colours .. but they come in a good variety of colours ..
                            2001 GSX750F
                            1995 ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGodfrey
                              .. they were as cheap as chips .. .
                              Nice phase there!!

I may drill my own. How much did you pay on Ebay?

Comment

Working...
                              X