X

What kind of problem is this?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of problem is this?

On friday I came to a red light and the bike died on me and would stay running at idle. I had to keep it revved up so it wouldn't die. On Saturday I changed the plugs to the iridium plugs because that's what other people with similar problems have done and mine had brown ceramic and were fouled I guess. Yesterday I rode it for about an hour and it ran fine but on the way home same thing happened. I thought maybe it was bad gas so I drained the tank and put fresh fuel in it to no avail. The fuel filter has some black that I can see through the plastic but I guess that's normal because isn't it a charcoal filter? Does anyone have any suggestions? The bike's only mods are a D&D exhaust. I did screw the A/F screws out an 1/8 of a turn and it ran fine for 1000 or so miles however now they are at 2 and 1/2 turns out. The bike only has 2100 miles on it so it's still under warranty but I'm hesitant about bringing it in. It anyone has any ideas what's wrong please let me know. Thanks in advance.

update---I just checked the iridium plugs and there is no sign of fouling they look almost new. However the plug covers were slightly loose so I tightened them up but this didn't solve the problem. I'm just getting really frustrated because the bike is so new and has run fine so far and now it just feels like a 5000 dollar peice of crap that I doubt I'll ever trust on a long ride again. I almost want to sell it and just get a gixxer 600.
    Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

If the D&D is the only mod you did and the bike is still under warranty? bring it in.

Comment

I'm BETTING that your old plugs were fine . Brown ain't bad . BLACK is .
      Lesse ...... What's it idle at ? Ride it much ? Do anything at ALL to it before it started doing this ? How much slack you got in your clutch cable ?
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Compare your old plugs to this chart:
        NGK post-use Spark Plug Condition Chart with pics

As for the fuel filter, the OEM fuel filter for your bike has no charcoal, but consists of a plastic case, an almost-flower shaped magnet and a very wide copper or brass mesh screen.

Normally, if you are seeing black in the filter, I'd suggest that you might have rust or water in your tank. I'd forther suggest draining the float bowls on the carbs into a glass container so you can examine it -- plus open up a float bowl and look inside it for evidence of rust coming from the tank.

The other likely problems are:
        1. Crappy fuel containing too much alcohol or methanol. Change gas stations.
        2. You forgot to reconnect some vent tube/hose when you removed/replaced the tank to gain access to the spark plugs to change them (doubious, but possible).

BUT SINCE YOUR BIKE IS STILL UNDER WARRANTEE GIVE IT TO THE DEALER AND MAKE IT THEIR NIGHTMARE. MAKE SURE YOU BRING YOUR OLD PLUGS AS WELL.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The bike is running great today. Last night I had to tighten the the plugs a little more because I didn't tighten them all the way and push down on the plug caps because same thing didn't push them all the way on. Plus the exhaust was leaking a little. I guess it was a combo of all these things.
          Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
          http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
          http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

Comment

If it's running fine NOW , then maybe .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
            X