X

Out of Performance Mods?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Performance Mods?

So, it's been a while since i've been on here, so I've been looking around... trying to see anything that I may have missed... I think I may have done the better part of all of the performance mods on here.... someone let me know if I missed anything... I did : Timing Advance, Shift Kit, K&N Filter, Chain Conversion to a 520Xring with 14-49 sprockets, Iridium Spark Plugs, Vance and Hines Pipe, and I still feel like there's something I'm missing... Now I know that most of you right now are screaming "JET KIT" but... after looking at dyno charts, provided by jetkit manufacturers, these kits only seem to be good for between 3-5 HP. Now while I'm sure this would be noticeable, I'm not sure if it's worth the 150$. So, I guess what I'm looking for are opinions on with the rest of my mods I should see a better gain, or if I'm asking too much. I've been riding for some time now, and I feel as though if I'm outriding the bike. I'm perhaps looking at selling the bike and upgrading to a FZ1 , but I really love the Katana and I bought it off a friend who is now no longer with us, so it has sentimental value. Please someone give me some more ideas of what to do to squeeze some more power out of this thing. I have gus coming up to me telling me that their Kat's will power wheelie all through first and pick it up in second. Not that I care about doing wheelies, but mine won't even pick it up in first without giving it a good bit of clutch. I am about 240lbs though... But I know there are some other "plus sized" riders on here. Thanks for the help guys.
    Nothin like watchin the sparks fly off the footpegs...

BTW, it's a 99 Kat 600

Comment

Well there is of course the Jet kit I have heard good things about Ivans. Aside from that there is always the option of doing an engine swap. There are plenty of people on here who have done it. If you really want to keep the bike take no options off the table. Good luck to you.

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Comment

Weight reduction, wave rotors.
        Bike is sold

Comment

Are you running the stock header?
          Bike is sold

Comment

Yes, running the stock header. Know where I can get just the header for the Vance and Hines?

I've checked ebay dozens of times...

Comment

Take it you want to keep the stock-engine so it will come down to a number off minor gaines giving you a total gain off say 15 at most (pretty optimistic if not unreal) 20 rwHp.
              Did you read CyberPoet's page on upgrading the Kat? (you still miss some..)

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

You could do some mods which will give you relatively more gain, but they are all less or more expensive like gixxer-cams, blueprinting the cylinderhead, increasing compression, installing FS-carbs, but price/performance wise they are all way more expensive than just swapping in a larger engine.
              (a stock 750 engine will give you the same gain even outperform those mods once you mod it with the mods you allready did at less costs and trouble, with stock reliability)

Comment

i've read cyber's list, and I've hit up about all of those i'm willing to do... I picked up some luggage, rebuilt my seat to make it a bit more comfy, but i'm not big on reflective tape or synthetic oils of any kind. I've had bad luck with synthetic in everything i've put it in. other than that, i've done all of the suspension tuning in... and all that good stuff... pretty much everything but the jet kit. and I still can't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on 5-7 HP

Comment

Well, that vance and hines probably cost you well over 200 bucks and probably didn't give you more than 7-10hp max, and I think to get the full potential of it you should spend the 130 and order a jet kit, but thats just my opinion.

I bought a yosh pipe for about 250, put it on, felt a slight gain, then the jet kit came, and the difference was night and day, WELL worth the money.
                  Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                  18v Rigid Drill
                  Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                  New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by katcurvincorners
                    i've read cyber's list, and I've hit up about all of those i'm willing to do... I picked up some luggage, rebuilt my seat to make it a bit more comfy, but i'm not big on reflective tape or synthetic oils of any kind. I've had bad luck with synthetic in everything i've put it in. other than that, i've done all of the suspension tuning in... and all that good stuff... pretty much everything but the jet kit. and I still can't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on 5-7 HP
                    Like I said before, it will come down on small gaines counting up so a 5-7HP gain is substantial.
                    Concerning the synthetic oil, don't be affraid to use it, it will be a great upgrade for the engine.

Comment

welll figured out how to get more power finally...I sold it and bought a Yamaha FZ1... I'd recommend this to anyone.... comfortable, power out the ying yang... relaxed riding position... all of the things I loved about the Kat.... but in a much more powerful package (DYNO'ed at 149.3HP @ 9800) While it's been fun here on the Kat Forums, I've joined the FZ1 forums now... I'll check back on here regularly, and I've gotten a lot of help from you folks. Thanks for the good times. If you're gonna be in South West VA, let me know... we'll hook up and do some riding!

Comment

Enjoy the FZ1! Keep it rubber side down, and ride safe
                        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Working...
                        X