Finally got it *lowered... PICS NOW UP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got it *lowered... PICS NOW UP

thanks to ne-oublie.

It's an 06 so I had to have the handle bar holder milled out where the forks come through. I dropped it an inch and a half all around. In the back I used a pair of custom fab'ed dogbones made by ne-oublie.

The front was pretty easy. I loosened the bolts on the botton-bracket of the triple tree then loosened the top-bracket bolts one side at a time. Then I just shimmied the right side down while the left fork was still offering enough resistance to not just allow the right to fall uncontrolably. Once I got it down to where I wanted it, an inch and a half, I tightened the right side then repeated same steps on the left. The whole job took about 45 minutes since I was doing it all alone, and I already had all the plastics off.

So what do you thkink?
    Last edited by Drastion; 02-17-2008, 07:06 PM.
    Foolish men search the earth for worldly masters, not realizing that their own mind is the master.

No offense but why did you lower the bike that much?

Comment

Aah you meant lowered. I was dreading seeing another rashed up Kat when I opened this thread.
      Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Let us know how well it handles. And watch out for speed bumps!!

Comment

Well I'm almost six foot tall, but it's all in the body. I have really short legs. Plus I like the way it looks. And as far as handling goes, I took it for a 130mile test ride right after I dropped it, and it's still a comfortable ride.
          Foolish men search the earth for worldly masters, not realizing that their own mind is the master.

Comment

I'm sure it's still comfortable, but how does it lean/corner now? Notice any differences?

Comment

I noticed it turns into the corners a lot faster. I feel more comfortable leaning into the corners, feels to me like it's actually a bit more stable. When I'm traveling down the highway and swerving from left to right to scrub the tires, I can pull it out of leaning left and into right a lot easier, and vice-versa. Overall it feels more nimble.

Comment

I hope you stiffened up the fork springs (using a spacer or replacing the springs with stiffer alternatives, and/or using thicker oil), and jacked up the rear preload to help compensate for the reduced clearance. I'd hate to see you spill because your exhaust or oil pan bottomed out when you were forced to slam on brakes.

PS - looks like a good job was done.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I hope you stiffened up the fork springs (using a spacer or replacing the springs with stiffer alternatives, and/or using thicker oil), and jacked up the rear preload to help compensate for the reduced clearance. I'd hate to see you spill because your exhaust or oil pan bottomed out when you were forced to slam on brakes.

PS - looks like a good job was done.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X