Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anyone convert a factory 4/2 into 4/1 exhaust?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone convert a factory 4/2 into 4/1 exhaust?

I posted about this in another thread, but though posting a new thread would be more appropriate.

The '94 Kat 600 poject bike I just bought has had the factory dual exhaust and modified by cutting the muffler off one side and welding a connector pipe from that outlet to the other muffler. It was not done with particularly good craftsmanship, but that's beside the point...

I haven't got it to running condition yet to see how this affects performance, but my guess is it would be restrictive. Since the one remaining muffler appears to be stock (not opened-up in any way), this system would theoretically only flow half as much now. Question is, does the system have excess flow capacity as standard, so one muffler would flow enough. My guess is no, but it's only a guess.

Has anyone heard of someone doing this, and the results from that mod?
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Put on a 98+ exhaust system. The headers fit and the pipe is a single. The only thing you'd have to do is peen down the collector a bit to clear the oil pan. that can be alleviated by putting on a 98+ pan as well.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

yeah what Brooder said I think.
      '06 600 Katana
      http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
      Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
      Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

Re: Anyone convert a factory 4/2 into 4/1 exhaust?

Originally posted by SlipKid
        I posted about this in another thread, but though posting a new thread would be more appropriate.

The '94 Kat 600 poject bike I just bought has had the factory dual exhaust and modified by cutting the muffler off one side and welding a connector pipe from that outlet to the other muffler. It was not done with particularly good craftsmanship, but that's beside the point...

I haven't got it to running condition yet to see how this affects performance, but my guess is it would be restrictive. Since the one remaining muffler appears to be stock (not opened-up in any way), this system would theoretically only flow half as much now. Question is, does the system have excess flow capacity as standard, so one muffler would flow enough. My guess is no, but it's only a guess.

Has anyone heard of someone doing this, and the results from that mod?

Never heard someone doing this but the stock mufflers are absorbtion-damped mufflers, guess it won't be that restrictive, would be something else if they were mechanically damped.

Comment

Absorbtion damped? Does this mean that they use fiberglass packing around a perforated tube instead of metal "barriers" and "passages" inside of the muffler?

It sounds like a 98+ is the way to go, especially since they can be disassembled at the mid-pipe. Shipping a pre-98 would be ridiculuosly expensive, as they are duals and don't come apart lengthwise!
          '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Originally posted by SlipKid
            Absorbtion damped? Does this mean that they use fiberglass packing around a perforated tube instead of metal "barriers" and "passages" inside of the muffler?
            right.

Comment

Working...
            X