X

Front Wheel Installation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Wheel Installation

ok this might sound very very stupid. But nothing i mean nothing else has given me trouble threw the bike, except for the damn wheel. The front wheel of the kat. I looked on the rim for the direction and i used it but no matter what i do it is always short on the right side and the caliper kits the rotor. What am i doing wrong.

"and the caliper kits the rotor"

I dont understand that, but if your having trouble figuring out wich way the wheel goes one side has a spot where the speed sensor hooks up to
    HILLBILLY DELUXE!!.........SLICK PICK UP TRUCKS.....LIVIN IT UP IN A SMALL TOWN....yep thats me

Comment

i mean that the right side is short and the caliper hits* the rotor. The kat i have is a 98 and uses the old front fender style.

Comment

That doesn't compute. A caliper goes over a rotor.

Define 'a caliper hits a rotor'.

Comment

the caliper does go over the rotor, but where the caliper connect to the fork there is not enough space between it and the rotor and the little rings in the rotor hits the caliper just some but enough to scrap the rings.

Comment

Missing any washers? spacers? How much are you off by? whats the distance between the ousides of the pads and the outsides of your rotors? can we get a pic.

ThiS IS huRting My hEaD Too mUcH ThiNking!!
            HILLBILLY DELUXE!!.........SLICK PICK UP TRUCKS.....LIVIN IT UP IN A SMALL TOWN....yep thats me

Comment

If i cant figure it out by tonight i will send a picture. Lets just say i can fit my finger complete around the left outside rotor and the fork and on the other one i can even go half way.

Comment

If anyone can tell me what the series of steps are for the wheel. Example like 1.Bolt 2.Fork 3.Spacer 4.Rotor 5.Wheel with barrings 6.Spacer 7.Fork 8.Washer 9.Nut

Comment

Check the microfiche on ronayers.com
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

you need to take your calipers off, mount your wheel, and then put your calipers back on the bike.

I have never had to do an orange county on the axle.....meaning beat it with a really big hammer, and then still not know what i am doing.

it has always went right in.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Blackraven you do these steps here

1st. Get the wheel where you can put it in the space. Have someone help you or use a block of wood to help hold it up.

2nd. Make sure you have the wheel sensor in on the right side (if you are standing in front of the bike) and the spacer that goes on the left side. These 2 parts go between the rotor and fork.

3rd. Slide the axle in from the right side( as you are looking at the front of the bike) to where it catches the speed sensor and the rim.

4th. Get the other side of the wheel in place to where you can slide the axle all the way thru the rim. Now if yours is the one that comes all the way thru and is held on with a castle nut. You will put on the washer then the nut toruque to spec and install a cotter pin.
                      Now if yours is the axle that screws in do just that. If I am correct those go in from the left side of the bike if you are looking at it from the front.

5th. reinstall your calipers and torque to spec.

If you can not get it right after this then PM me your number and I will call you tonight after I get home from work. I can walk you thru the steps. Once you do it a few times you will be a pro at it.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

It took a little bit of time to kinda figure out but trust me i will never for get how to put that tire on again. Also thanks again to the guys that helped me last night do this. The bolt goes in from Left to right. The spacer that is in the fork is on the right. Look at the wheel and on the rim is shows the rotation with an arrow. Follow the direction and make sure its faced towards you. Now that the wheel is in in the proper position, then the spacers can only go one way. When you put in the spacer on the right make sure to put the washer in before the fork then once you pass the fork with the spacer in side you only need the castle nut because it already has a washer built in. Note: THIS IS THE PROBLEM I WAS HAVING. This might sound stupid but i guess its just one of those you make a mistake and correct it. If you do not put the washer on the end of the right spacer your rotors will always hit the little rings on your rotor, because you always wind up short. Follow this and you should have no problem at all.

Comment

Glad I was able to help you out and you are back on the road. I called KatanaBob while on the phone with Raven and we were able to get the right sequence of the front parts as to how they should go.

Everything he is talking about is if you are in front of the bike looking toward the back of the bike.
                          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

glad to here you got it.next week i too am removing it but my ? is what trick did you do to put all the weight on the back of the bike so the front was off the ground.w was going to strap the rear to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by rwcreigh
                              glad to here you got it.next week i too am removing it but my ? is what trick did you do to put all the weight on the back of the bike so the front was off the ground.w was going to strap the rear to the ground.

if you have a small floor jack, take a 1/2 to 3/4 in board about 3-4 inches wide and slide it between your header and your oil pan. then make a block that will fit between #2 and #3 downpipe and jack it up just enough so the front wheel clears the ground. of course this will work like shit if you don't have a center stand...lol.

I have always used a jack.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X