Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Oil leaks when bikes running quits when I shut it off.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leaks when bikes running quits when I shut it off.

Hey everyone this is my first post here so here it goes. I just bought a 97 kat 600 with 14,000 miles for cheap. Im trying to fix it up slowly and I havnt gotten a chance to take the fairings off yet, but I have a oil leak and it only leaks when its running. I noticed it comes from the front of the lower fairings some where, so I was just wondering what I should look for that would make it leak only when its running. Im not sure what work the bike had or anything so I figure I have enough time to get her goin before ohio summer sets in. Any help is much appreciated.

Pull fairings , hoes down with something (I like brake cleaner or Purple Muscle) , then see for SURE where it leaks from . Could be from a few places , really . Cylinder head cover , oil lines , head gasket , side cover .... best bet is to clean it first and locate the leak .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Uh oh. Check that oil plug. The Oil pan might be stripped completely or partially and the guy left it for you to fix. I would not ride her at all until you get it resolved. All it takes is for a little oil to hit that tire and you will become an airborne ranger in the worst way.

Mine is out of service right now as I wait to replace my oil pan due to me stripping it like a bonehead. It is easy to do and only takes a little pressure. When you change your oil again, get a fumoto drain valve and never worry about it again!
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

I don't think its the oil plug. ShownLow states that it appears to be coming from the upper front of the engine. With the miles on the bike(kinda low for a 10 year old bike) it might have sat for a time. I'd guess its the head gasket since they usually get leaky if the bike sits. My brothers 96 GSX750F had the same issue when he got it two years ago with 14,400 miles on the ticker.
        Washing the engine and then letting the bike run for awhile should clear up where its coming from.
        2005 Aprilia RST1000
        2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
        1998 Chevy Tahoe
        www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

i'm voting for oil line or valve cover - not head....again -like everyone else said - clean it and see where its coming from - hell - might be as simple as a loose clamp
          97 Katana 600
          [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

oops..I meant valve cover gasket.
            2005 Aprilia RST1000
            2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
            1998 Chevy Tahoe
            www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Thank's for all the replies so far makes me feel welcome!! Anyways I checked it out and it appears that (I dont know its called) a bolt just below the valve cover and on the top of the head on the left side (shifter) has a leak its on the top left. Looks like a pain in the arse cause 1/4 of it is behind the frame. I cleaned it all up and the washer looks smaller then the other ones and I do see a small gap where its coming out of. Im guessing Im gonna have to unbolt the motor and try to move it back like half inch to get to it. Anyone have this happen or did I just confuse you lol.

Comment

Originally posted by shownlow97
                Thank's for all the replies so far makes me feel welcome!! Anyways I checked it out and it appears that (I dont know its called) a bolt just below the valve cover and on the top of the head on the left side (shifter) has a leak its on the top left. Looks like a pain in the arse cause 1/4 of it is behind the frame. I cleaned it all up and the washer looks smaller then the other ones and I do see a small gap where its coming out of. Im guessing Im gonna have to unbolt the motor and try to move it back like half inch to get to it. Anyone have this happen or did I just confuse you lol.
                On the top, or on the side of the motor? I think a picture will get you a much better answer.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It's on the side but at the top right below the valve cover so if your looking at the left side of the motor its at the top left right below the valve cover. I might be able to gete a pic tomorrow with my gf's camera phone. Like 1/4 of the bolt is covered by the frame its a really big allen wrench that fits it. Id say about 10 inch's to the left of the gas petcock.

Comment

At least you diagnosed it. Now time for surgery!
                    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Pretend this pic is of the other side of the motor... can you circle the spot the oil is coming from?

-Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Hows this.[/url]
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like an oil gallery plug.

number 28

Is that where yours is leaking?

the 'gasket' is #29 [$0.70], but the plug may just be loose.

I think you will have to rotate the engine cradle down to get at it.... not a big deal. Some one will go into more detail if this is what you need to do :]

Comment

You posted that pic faster than I type, that is the plug I was talking about!

Comment

Almost forgot I looked at the other bolts and the one that is leaking seems to have a smaller washer then the rest like its not flush all the way around.

Comment

Working...
                              X