X

Chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain

Hi I'm new to the site, but not quite new to the katana. I just happened to find this site, and I think its awesome. I am a member of swmosportbikes.com, but it is sometimes difficult to find out anything about my katana on there so here is my first question. What is the best way to clean my chain and keep it clean?

Suzuki recommends, and I follow, their guidelines for my '05 Kat....kerosene to clean and automotive oil to lube. I personally use 10W40, but a heavier weight would probably not fling off as much (I use whatever is left from my cager changes). I use a cheap brush which I cut the top 2/3 off to keep the bristles firm (someone is just begging for me to say "stiff" right?).

I clean my chain every 500-700 miles, but oil it every 2-3 weeks (or right after she's run through the rain).

Comment

thanks kerosine was what I was thinking. I use chain lube instead of oil though. I just spray it on after a ride so the chain is hot then let it cool and wipe all of it off that I can get because the chain has already taken what it needs and enough stays on the chain to keep the rust off.

Comment

I use kerosene and an old toothbrush to clean my chain. I clean it about every 900 miles and lube it about every 200-300 miles, normaly I lube right after every gas fill up. with http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...m=MCS_375-0067

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Ok thanks I just wanted to make sure kerosene was the way to go. I don't think my room-mate will mind me using his toothbrush.

Comment

by the way florida kat I'm rooting for the saints this weekend.

Comment

I found the easiest, fastest, simplest way to clean a chain (any chain, including the Kat's) is a product called a Moose Chain Scrubber:

Make sure you pick the one for a 530 sized chain (unless you did a 520 conversion).

It comes with a 16 ounce bottle of SludgeAway that works miracles. 2 minutes after starting, you chain is utterly clean and ready for fresh oil/lube. As the chain passes through the box, it turns brushes inside against the links/rollers, and the brushes then dip down into whatever chemicals you put in the bottom (like the sludgeaway it ships with).

I've been using one for almost 5 years now and still swear by it.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION: the instructions show using it with the engine running to move the chain. DO NOT DO THIS! Bike in neutral, engine off, put the box over the chain and rotate the rear wheel by hand instead. Two passes through the box will normally clean every link as well as 25 minutes of hand-scrubbing.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Does any one know where I can get these in Canada - Moose Chain Scrubber. It appears that the Oemcycle guys do not ship to Canada.

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

I just cleaned mine last night with one of these and degreaser. It is so easy. Just put it on the centerstand, put this around the chain, and rotate the tire while turning the brush back and forth. I rinse it with hot water after words the same way by rotating the tire. Then lube and it is good to go.

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

Hey Mike, Two Wheel Motorsports sells them @ $39.95 CDN.
                    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever."

Comment

Originally posted by mcmahonm
                      Does any one know where I can get these in Canada - Moose Chain Scrubber. It appears that the Oemcycle guys do not ship to Canada.
                      Moose is a Canadian firm as far as I'm aware, and their parts are available via any PartsUnlimited distributor, so that chain scrubber should be available through your local dealers simply by asking them to order it out of their PartsUnlimited catalog.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by katanasoldier
                        I just cleaned mine last night with one of these and degreaser. It is so easy. Just put it on the centerstand, put this around the chain, and rotate the tire while turning the brush back and forth. I rinse it with hot water after words the same way by rotating the tire. Then lube and it is good to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FINISH-LINE-BIKE...QQcmdZViewItem
                        THAT'S waht I meant to buy when I got that Moose box that I never could get to work right . Thanks ! Right now I just use a paintbrush to wet the chain with K1 , then an old toothbrush to clean it , then old socks to dry it (old socks are GREAT for this . Wear 'em like mittens , grab the chain , and have at it ) . Then a straw and oil to lube , and often some wax on top of that . But I'm paranoid about losing a chain after losing TWO while riding .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                        X