X

throwing Flames out exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throwing Flames out exhaust

I just redid my engine on my 97 750 Kat . I change it to a 816 as they call it and re did the head and the vavles. I also put a factory pro advance on it an put K&N pods on it the shop I go to said that I should run a 144 size jet but I think that is to big . It starts up fine but i'm throwing blue flames out about foot or so when it's running. Should I go down in jet size or should I change the air mixer screw. I have different jets . If someone can help me I would be great full. I forgot I'm also running a D&D show an go exhaust on it.
    e black

Wow Blue Flames....some people pay money to get that effect...they make a kit that will allow you to do that but your's is stock doing it...I say get a passenger with a wire hanger and a bag of marshmellows and you'll be set...

Seriously I just wanted to post so that your thread would be sent back to the top and maybe someone with more experience than me could help you out...

Got any pics of your problem? Would like to see it...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Did you just change jets, or did you install a full stage 3 jetkit?
      Scratch that -- there is no stage 3 for the 98+ Kats

Also: did you change your exhaust at all, or is it still the stock 750 exhaust?

Here's probably what you need:
      Adjustable full stage 1 kit.
      Aftermarket headers, AND/OR scrap the pods
      About 2 hours on a dyno-machine with exhaust gas analyzer.

Good Luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Flames ? NICE!!!! I wish mine did that. COOL
        I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

CP: He said at the very end he is running a D&D........
          Also, pretty sure there IS a Stage 3 kit out there..........if not, the only real difference is the jets they include in each kit.

Definitely too rich....................lean it out.

Check your floats - make sure they are set at the proper height. I think its 12mm, but check the manual. (It's gotta be more accurate than my crappy memory! )

Set the A/F screws to 2.5 turns out from dead stop.

Synch carbs FOR SURE!

I agree on the dyno with EGA - they only way to go with your set up, for sure!
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

That is cool! The blue flames would match my Blue Kat! :P
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

I must have either misread it, or he corrected his original post to change the model year (from 98 to 97). Yes, there are stage 3 kits for the 97 Kats from FactoryPro (the one I would recommend) and from DynoJet.

And I wasn't sure if the comment on the D&D was muffler only or full exhaust (headers+muffler) set-up.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CP it would have to be a full system, if it were slip-ons on a 97 there would be two of them. I'm pretty sure since D&D and V&H are the only companies that make 4 into 1 ehxaust systems for the pres it is a full exhaust.

Comment

s

maybe check your exhaust valve clearances. they could be slightly open when motor is ignighting the fuel. does it backfire?
                  HILLBILLY DELUXE!!.........SLICK PICK UP TRUCKS.....LIVIN IT UP IN A SMALL TOWN....yep thats me

Comment

Working...
                  X