R6 tail on a pre 98

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R6 tail on a pre 98

Hey,
    I am currently working on an R6 tail conversion for my pre 98. I am not modifying the kat subframe, instead slotting the tail over the existing frame which fits perfectly and I love the look. However it unfortunatly creats the problem of how to make the seat and the tank match up as I dont want to lift the front of the tail in order to cover as much of the Kat rear frame as possible.
    Has anyone out there tried to lower the gas tank on a Kat??? I know this requires mods or removal of the bar on top of the frame as well as the piece that the tank bolts on to and im guessing also the relocation of the battery box. Also wondering how it would affect the frame or handeling of the Kat w/ the bar removed?
    Will post pics as soons I find a digital camera

Lowering how far? I would bet you could lower it a solid half inch without incident, but then you run into the airbox, engine-top wiring, etc.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Hope to achieve between 2 and 3 inches eventually though im not sure thats possible.

I have already removed stock airbox and have plans for a custom that will relocate air filter basicly has homemade filters w/ velocity stacks on it right now

As far as I can see this big of a drop is only gonna be possible by either cutting and modding the tank or removing the bar that runs across the top of the frame (not really sure what it does??)

Will also have to relocate the fuel valve so that it clears the top of the carbs

So far its looks like everything else will clear

Comment

That bar has been absent on both of my kats. I find it no big deal.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Are you running fairings or no? If you are, the edge of the tank will hit the top edge of the fairings

Comment

no fairings as of yet right now I plan on getting the tank and tail done and waiting to see how it looks before deciding if I want to add more plastic.

Does anyone know if dropping the tank that far will effect the airflow enough to mess w/ the air cooled Kat motor??

Comment

Do you have a 600 or 750. I was going to use the r6 tail too and with it just sitting on the stock subframe it looked as though a 600 front seat would fit fine.

There is a guy on here who did a r6 tail on his kat, there are pics in the album
              Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Id do a new seat pan over modifying the tank if it was me - you can build it all custom and cover as much as you want without changing anything major - any shop that does vinyl repair can make you a custom pan that will fit perfectly for minimal $$
                97 Katana 600
                [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Only had to work a half day today so I managed to get the first steps done with everything pretty much temporarily bolted in place.

Removed Bar from top of frame
                  Removed Stock Air Box Still have to make a custom one
                  Dropped stock tank bracket down below frame w/ spacers. Was able to remove the rubber spacers of the battery box and drop that enough w/ a few bends to allow it to remain in the stock position.

Instead of doing a custom fuel valve I turned the stock one around backwards and removed the plastic knob looks a lil funny but works

Few other misc things that I had to cut or otherwise modify but actually took alot less work than I had originally thought.

Will Post Pics tomorrow its too dark to take em now

Comment

Sorry for the double post
                    BlackKatnWV I have a 750 No idea about how seats would match up I used an R6 seat too

Comment

Here are some pics if anyone is interested sorry about the poor quality
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dogodell
                        Here are some pics if anyone is interested sorry about the poor quality
                        I guess you have to change your subframe because this isn't realy lookin g pretty

Greetz
                        Look at --> Rebuilding my GSXF 600

Comment

Honestly it looks like the tank and tail are both sitting way to low and the tail is at an unnatural angle. I'd keep working on it.

Comment

Re: R6 tail on a pre 98

Originally posted by dogodell
                            Hey,
                            I am currently working on an R6 tail conversion for my pre 98. I am not modifying the kat subframe, instead slotting the tail over the existing frame which fits perfectly and I love the look. However it unfortunatly creats the problem of how to make the seat and the tank match up as I dont want to lift the front of the tail in order to cover as much of the Kat rear frame as possible.
                            Has anyone out there tried to lower the gas tank on a Kat??? I know this requires mods or removal of the bar on top of the frame as well as the piece that the tank bolts on to and im guessing also the relocation of the battery box. Also wondering how it would affect the frame or handeling of the Kat w/ the bar removed?
                            Will post pics as soons I find a digital camera
                            Wouldn't lower the gastank if I were you dude, sure could hurt your gasmileage, not sure bout your safety either but that may be untrue.
                            For sure I wouldn't remove the front tankrest it's not just there to hold up the gastank it's allso a brace for the frame.
                            The looks? not my cup off tea have to agree with Waltari.
                            Either cut off the complete rear like I did or mod the lower subframe, you won't cover it, you'll get it out off sight.

Comment

eh,
                              im not to sure bout it as of now either thats why its still temped on

One thing I should mention is that the tail should look better once I raise the rear end of the bike up again. Previous owner lowered it close to 3 in couldnt figure out why people had so many problems getting the front wheel up until I found that one
                              Parts for that should be here end of the week

After that project has to go on hold till after the holidays and I get a lil extra $$ saved up

Thanks for the input I'll post again once I make some more progress

Comment

Working...
                              X