X

how to pick the right exhaust?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to pick the right exhaust?

I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to the different types of cans that can be fitted to a bike, so I've got a specific question I'm hoping you guys can help me with. A friend of mine who I ride with here in the United Kingdom has recently bought a new can for his CBR with the main purpose to simply increase his engine's volume. His thinking is, the louder he is, or the deeper and more throaty the engine sounds, the better the chance is that car drivers will notice him that much sooner. Since it get's dark here before 4:30 in the afternoon here, it seems like a good idea to me. I think it certainly couldn't hurt to make myself louder, as long as it wasn't too difficult to do so and the end result was still street legal. My bike still has the stock exhaust on it, so I guess I'd have to have the pipe cut so a slip-on could be fitted. Is this something I could do myself? Also, how do I know which one to pick? There's no way to know what the sound will be until it's hooked up, right? Any help, advice or sources of good (cheap!) cans would be appreciated. Thanks.

(A) The pipe doesn't get cut. There is a connector that can be unbolted where the midpipe meets the collector (forward of the muffler) -- the exhaust system would be replaced from there back with a new aftermarket-muffler.

(B) The concept that loud pipes save lives is flawed, because most cagers are insulated from noise well enough (esp. in cold weather like the UK late fall/winter) with the windows up, the heater blowing and the stereo going (not to mention the cell phone) that a low-pitched noise is likely to go unnoticed. More-over, low tones are generally interpretted as being non-directional to cagers in sealed up cars, so hearing you doesn't necessarily translate into knowing where you are.

(C) You'd probably be far safer investing the same ££ in a RoadCraft or other safety-oriented advanced rider course than in the pipe, but the pipe would sound cooler.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So you might say that, while there are alot of good reasons to get a new pipe, making myself heard isn't one of them. If there's no real problem with the stock one I have, will the performance enhancements be the real reason to change?

Comment

On a pre-98, owners claim some performance improvement (1 HP is commonly claimed, although I'm suspicious at best).

98+, I have yet to see a muffler increase the actual output of the bike (dyno outputs compared) without an aftermarket exhaust header matched to it, although the noise may improve the perception of the power to the rider. The primary constriction in the intake/exhaust system is the collector itself, which doesn't change size with a muffler swap.

Thus, as before, if you do it, do it because you love the sound, not for any other benefit.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok, Thanks.

Comment

find a EVO Blue Flame or a Scorpion...since you are in England!

Comment

i could use some advise on picking a slip-on
              i was planning on a yoshi, but i've just recently moved into a family type area ... don't want the neighbors to hate me and be the black sleep of the neighborhood because i wake them up at 7am every day riding my bike ... i'll give them other reasons for that

i hear yoshi is quiet, but how quiet compared to stock ?

are there others that could more quiet at lower rpms ?

thanks for any input !
              money can't buy you happiness, it can at least buy you beer !

Comment

My D & D slip on is loud and rude!
                "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by stickygreen
                  i could use some advise on picking a slip-on
                  i was planning on a yoshi, but i've just recently moved into a family type area ... don't want the neighbors to hate me and be the black sleep of the neighborhood because i wake them up at 7am every day riding my bike ... i'll give them other reasons for that

i hear yoshi is quiet, but how quiet compared to stock ?

are there others that could more quiet at lower rpms ?

thanks for any input !
                  I'm told that when I pull into the driveway noone EVER hears me . I guess that means my Yosh ain't too loud . But when someone I knew pulled in with a stcok can , I couldn't help but chuckle at how quiet the thing was . Not that that's a BAD thing , it was just kinda amusing . Didn't realise these bikes could be SO quiet .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thanks ... i think i'll stick with getting a yoshi then
                    it's not like i'm gonna be gagging it through the neighborhood .. usually around 4000rpm until i get on hwy 98
                    money can't buy you happiness, it can at least buy you beer !

Comment

I COULD ty to get soundclip of mine eventually , but it PROBABLY doesn't sound "ideal" , connsidering my bike is "rough" and PROBABLY will be due for repacking again soon . Did it last almost 2 years ago .

Comment

Moonrs:

There's a mag out of the UK that had an article a couple of months back that basically offered an updated view of the "hurt report". Completely backs up with CyberPoet is saying here. Wish I had kept the thing, but I can't find it to give you a month and title.

Another book I've looked at claims that less than 3% of the accidents come from behind. With that percentage, louder wouldn't do you any good. Your better off investing in the advanced rider course described, or figuring out a way to make yourself more visable from the front. Modulating headlight comes to mind, but you'll want to check local restrictions on such kit.

Cheers,
                        ND

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                          I COULD ty to get soundclip of mine eventually , but it PROBABLY doesn't sound "ideal" , connsidering my bike is "rough" and PROBABLY will be due for repacking again soon . Did it last almost 2 years ago .
                          Ok , if someone can tell me how to upload this video thingy , I took a short clip of mine . Probably needs repacked , though .

Comment

Working...
                          X