No announcement yet.
X

Custom Gear Indicator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you giving it an input for a gear? The gear indicator switch provides a ground path to complete the circuit and turn a light on (in the case of neutral) So the way I see it is, you should be grounding one of P1 -P6 to simulate the a gear position. Can ya get a pic of your circuit for everyone to look at?
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I'm using a jumper wire from the ground feeding the circuit to P1-P6 to simulate gearing position, but nothing. I have to figure out how to make my pics smaller (smallest I have are 640x480) so I can post 'em. As soon as I do, I will get some pics up, Thanks Guys.
      RUN WITH IT!!

W.F.O.......The only way to go!!!

'06 600 Katana

Comment

You can email the pics to me if you would like and I'll resize and post them for ya. The suspense is killing me, you got me hooked on this project now. LOL
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Sorry guys, I haven't had time to take some pics and get them posted. Will try to have some up by the weekend.
          RUN WITH IT!!

'06 600 Katana

Comment

Since it is not working at all, you've likely got bad power or ground somewhere. First use an ohmeter to check that each chip is properly grounded. Next, check that each chip in the cct is getting proper power - re-check that you've got 5VDC at Vcc, then check the power pins on each chip to make sure it is powered.

If that's ok, work through the cct, left to right and see what you've got at each point.

Ground P1, and check U1 pin 2 for an output.

err - I just noticed that this schematic doesn't show the power lines for the quad inverter. Have you run power to pins 7 & 14 of the 7404? And the 7432?

Anyways - post when you've got this far, and we'll figure out what's next!

Comment

Any more interest in this? Did you get anywhere Shanec?

Comment

some time ago i explained the problems with the diagram. quickly - they tied some of the output of the gates together & not using open collector devices.

it was said to work so i was wrong. i basically built the circuit & took pictures of the output on my scope to prove my point. it will work - for a while but the design is poor. someone beat me to the punch & came up with a better design ( fewer parts too ). search around, it may still be around.

tim

Comment

What are you building the circuit on? Try building a test circuit on a proto board, and then take it down and have an integrated circuit built.... That way you can get all of your trouble shooting done on something much easier to work with.

Comment

I did run power to the pins on the 7404 and 7432, but still nothing. I haven't had time to investigate alot, but I'm planning to this week. Trinc, do you have the better design, or know where I can find it? This would help me tremendously!! I would VERY much appreciate it. I also appreciate the help from everyone else. Will update soon!
                    RUN WITH IT!!

'06 600 Katana

Comment

Originally posted by shanec
                      I did run power to the pins on the 7404 and 7432, but still nothing. I haven't had time to investigate alot, but I'm planning to this week. Trinc, do you have the better design, or know where I can find it? This would help me tremendously!! I would VERY much appreciate it. I also appreciate the help from everyone else. Will update soon!
                      give me a few hours and i'll draw it out.

tim

Comment

ok, someone posted a 'better schematic' using a 74148 encoder. since it seems to have been lost i have redone it.

so here it is. wire in the gears where marked and wire 12v ( i'd use an inline fuse also ) to the 7805 regulator & of course the ground.
                        Attached Files

Comment

so do anyone build this?

Comment

I half remember that my old GS550L had a shift indicator. Can you jack something like that onto the Kat?? That would be cool, and cut down on the number of times I grab for seventh gear.
                            "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

where on earth are you getting the signal for the gears? I don't understand..... is there a switch already in the motor for each gear or something? I figured to do something like this, you'd have to put 2 switches on the shift mechanism, and hook that up to a counting circuit.

If there is indeed an output already on the bike for each gear, then it should be pretty easy to maybe hook up an LED for each gear, maybe have all 7 across the top of the gauges, to show which gear you're in.
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484
                                where on earth are you getting the signal for the gears? I don't understand..... is there a switch already in the motor for each gear or something? I figured to do something like this, you'd have to put 2 switches on the shift mechanism, and hook that up to a counting circuit.

If there is indeed an output already on the bike for each gear, then it should be pretty easy to maybe hook up an LED for each gear, maybe have all 7 across the top of the gauges, to show which gear you're in.
                                You have to follow up from the original thread. MrClean who started the whole project on his bike modified the neutral light switch on his motor to supply the signal for the circut.

He sent me the original write up as a pdf file a while back. try to contact him first but if he doesn't chime in I will send it to you.

Damic

Comment

Working...
                                X