Katriders 2010 SoCal Rally

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Riding Tips

Riding Tips First bike? Old rider that learned a new lesson?
Post your questions, tips and experiences here so we can all learn from them!

Old 06-27-2006, 02:34 AM   #1
bradja
Squid

Default Muscle Pain/Strain in the back of the neck when riding.

Anyone have any tips for eliminating or reducing the discomfort I'm experiencing from even fairly short rides. Is it just an endurance thing being a new rider? Should I try to find a newer, lighter weight helmet? The full face Arai that my brother gave me is a few years old and seems to be fairly heavy.
"The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then - to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you.
-T.H. White from The Once and Future King
bradja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
iwannadie
Kat Daddy

build up your muscles, either hit a gym or give it time for your body to strengthen up. your prolly using mucles when riding that never got that kind of stress before so it can be expected. even if you got the time and dont want to ride go sit on the bike in your riding position for w while just go get the muscles working.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
fordfurious
Knee Dragger

eBay ID: fordfurious

KOTM Mar 2007

it comes with time. practice, practice, practice. ride, ride, ride.

fordfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
Scrappy
Tank Slapper

So many people don't realize how physical riding can be. It can be both physically and mentally exhausting. Just as with any sport, be sure to stretch before and after your ride. While you're warming up your bike, warm up your body. Personally, I think your neck and back suffer the most while riding because of the position you're in. Try to stretch when you stop for gas as well. All this stretching will help to keep you limber and get your body used to the new demands that you're placing on it. When you're sitting around at home, do some neck rolls and then touch your chin to your chest and then back up to normal position a few times.

Hope this helps. It helped me when I first started. Ride safe.

Scrappy

http://www.nmburn.com (#73-Defensive Tackle/Offensive Guard)

Hi. :bigfinger Cram it.
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Dan Dubeau
Have campfire, will travel

eBay ID: Katmandan

The one thing I find that really helps on the long highway commutes (or just less "involved" riding) is to keep your head down, and look through the top of the visor. When I'm railing or in traffic i have my head tilted back more and level with the ground.

Another plus to stretching though. It's often overlooked, but helps out tremendusly.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
bradja
Squid

Yeah, I've been stretching quite a bit. I learned the importance of stretching back when I studied Shaolin Kung Fu for three years.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
bradja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
GytRDunKat
Kat Legend

I like to call it the "Suzuki Death Grip" hehe. Bar weights fixed me right up... I went from numbness to cramps (after adding wieghts). I magically found that my gloves were just a titch too tight. Now I don't have any poblems at all.

New to Katriders? Click Here!
GytRDunKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
Gromit
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau
The one thing I find that really helps on the long highway commutes (or just less "involved" riding) is to keep your head down, and look through the top of the visor. When I'm railing or in traffic i have my head tilted back more and level with the ground.
+1

I find this works well for me on longer rides. It's also a good idea not to lock your head into one position for hours on end! Move around a bit, stretch, try to stay supple.

Personally, I get a bit of upper neck/back discomfort. But it doesn't seem to worsen with time on the bike. It's just a low-level thing.

But I do find I have to consciously stretch my low back to avoid locking into a position that curves my lower spine the wrong way.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #9
jonnykuhns
Chicken Strip

I've had a problem with a pinched nerve in my neck for years now... It's taken some adjusting to not irritate it while riding for long periods of time, but I found that changing position and generally trying to relax (not death grip things...) has helped out with it quite a bit.
jonnykuhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
MDNTRDR
Squid

bought carbon fiber (expensive!) helmet after neck injury from lowside and weight of inexpensive helmet that pain in the neck went away
MDNTRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Riding Tips