KOTM May 2007 Court93Kat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 06-14-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
DrRodey
Rookie

eBay ID: DrRodey

Default The motorcycle gods Hate me!!!

Long story short, Time for yet another rebuild of my engine.

Extended version, I just replaced the cam chain tensioner spring on my 96 600, no biggie right? that's what I thought too as I fired it up this afternoon after I got it completely back together after the little endevor, only to hear the horrid sound of metal snapping and rattleing around the engine. Tore everything back appart, and ALL of the rocker arms on the intake side... GONE. Snapped all 8 of them off. SO somewhere lost in the bowels of the engine are 8 or more tiny pieces of rocker arm, 8 valve shims, and 16 of these other little funky arched pieces. Happy Days For me...

Sorry.. had to vent a little.

OH and the good news. Since the cost of parts to fix will be in excess of $500 the Wife has deemed that the bike be sold and replaced So anyone want to buy a bike cheap? (if so see the "for sale" board or e-mail me dr_rodey@yahoo.com)

The goal in life is not to leave this world with a perfectly intact, unmarred body but to slide sideways into the grave screaming HOLY SHIT, WHAT A RIDE!!!
DrRodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
md86
Katastical

eBay ID: md86dammit

Sounds like the gods AND your wife hate you . Bummer . But you CAN get a whole nother engine for less than that .

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86
md86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:05 AM   #3
DrRodey
Rookie

If you have a source, I'd love to hear about it.. especially if they have any 750's they'd part with for that price.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:02 AM   #4
md86
Katastical

eBay ID: md86dammit

Most go to Ebay . There WERE a couple guys here selling engines , but not sure if they're gona already . And I know where there's a supposedly good 600 , but not sure what shipping would be to get it to ya . If you're interested , I can ask dude about it ...
md86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:10 AM   #5
DrRodey
Rookie

Tried e-bay, nothing decent close, and shipping is outrageous from most places. And if I'm going to do a swap, i'd like it to be a 750 or larger, so I'll probably stick with plan B and sell her off (God I'm going to miss this bike) and get something new/different.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
tzortn
Kat Master

Unless you have a lot invested in your current bike I would consider plan B. It is a lot more fun to ride your bike than it is to fix it.
tzortn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

So tell us the long story about how changing a spring caused your entire valve system to spontaneously self-destruct...

Curious...
=-= The CyberPoet
Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #8
tzortn
Kat Master

Do you have any pics of all this destruction?
tzortn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
DrRodey
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyberPoet
So tell us the long story about how changing a spring caused your entire valve system to spontaneously self-destruct...

Curious...
=-= The CyberPoet
Your guess is as good as mine brotha... I"m completely baffeled on the subject myself..

sorry I dont have any pix and I've already moved everything over to the side of the garage and burried it in Grand Prix parts from the car i'm working on parting out right now too.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Fingers
Poser

Unless you didn't install the tensioner correctly, and the chain skipped causing the piston to hit the valves, I have NO idea how that could have happened.

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101