X

Firing order?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firing order?

ok I got the bike running but now very well. Does anyone know the correct firing order for a 89' 600 I did some searches on this site and found the following results.

"On the 98+ it should be 1-2-4-3. I think it's probably the same on the pre-98's."

But I went to a small motorcycle shop in Mckinney and the guy said
    "1-4-3-2" This one fires up the bike but runs like a push mower

its 1243 just like you said

Comment

Ok thanks for the reply but there is one more thing I would like to clear up. Are the coils numbered 1-4 and 2-3? or 1-3 and 2-4?

Comment

yes 1-4 and 2-3

Comment

Alright im not trying to be annoying here, but I cant get it to fire with the info thats posted. Could it be foul plugs causing it? Also I was wondering if you can use either set of (Negative),(Pos) terimals from the harness on either coil? The orange wire from the harness is (Pos) and the Yellow-Black striped wire is (Negative) right? Last Q is there any kinda of safety wire or device Im not seeing maybe causing this?

Comment

Here's what I drew up to help me remember ...
            Attached Files
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              Here's what I drew up to help me remember ...

THANKS!!!!

you just helped me start my bike for the first time -

i've been doing a lot of un-needed disassembly ~
              amazing what firing order can do ...
              (pops, flames through carbs, won't start, won't take fuel)

Thanks again MD86

Comment

That's why I wrote it down before I took all the wires off !

Comment

I slap labels on the coil wires (LT for left top, RB for right bottom, etc) before I disconnect them, so it's never a memory issue... so far it's never failed me on any bike I've worked on.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    I slap labels on the coil wires (LT for left top, RB for right bottom, etc) before I disconnect them, so it's never a memory issue... so far it's never failed me on any bike I've worked on.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    I dont think I fully understand what you ment by o/w, w, and so on. I have the orange wire on LT yellow on LB. Yellow/black wire on RT and orange on RB.

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      That's why I wrote it down before I took all the wires off !

yeah, yeah - i know

actually, i'm putting this back together.... someone laid it down in 2002 - only had 600 miles on it when i bought it middle of last year to rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by mad max
                        I dont think I fully understand what you ment by o/w, w, and so on. I have the orange wire on LT yellow on LB. Yellow/black wire on RT and orange on RB.
                        o/w - Orange & White Wire
                        w - White Wire
                        b/y - Black and Yellow Wire

R- Right
                        T - Top
                        RT - on the right side, closer the the sky, not closer to the ground

made sense to me

Comment

That's wht I labled mine like I did . I made it so that basically , the o/w wire goes to whatever side has the #1 plug wire , the w goes to #4 , and so on . That way , even if you put the coils on upside-down or something , the wires will still be easy enough to figure out .

Comment

My white wire was turned orange-ish for some reason so I had to peel back the tape on the harness. Thats why I was so confused

Comment

SIMPLE APPROACH:

LOOK at the connection faces of each coil. You will note that down near the connection terminals ONE on each coil has a raised "+" near it!!!!!! This is your POSITIVE terminal.

Now, I'm going off memory here (too lazy to go out to the garage and grab the book, or look at a bike! ), but I'm pretty sure that for each set of wires going to the coils from the wiring harness, the WHITE wires are your negatives or ground wires. The O/W and B/Y are your positive wires.

And, as others have alrady noted, cylinders 1 & 4, and then 2 & 3 always fire together off the same respective coil.

Don't make the mistake of noting bottom or top for these connections, as I've seen alot of folks do, 'cause they then mount the coils backwards or upside down!!!!!!!!!!!

8)
                              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                              X