Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 05-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
efozie
Katrider

Default Oil advice for Katana 750

Does anyone have an opinion on what is a good oil to run in the Katana? I've seen some articles but I prefer someone who has used the oil on a Katana...if there is any difference...
Old 05-21-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
paradoxmd
Kat Champion

Tournaments Won: 1

i'm running castrol gps semi-synthetic. 10w-40 in the winter, 20w-50 in the summer. it made such a difference in the performance of the bike and the clutch over whatever the guy before me used.

Long Live the D
paradoxmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
Kat-A-Tonic
Kat Champion

There are many types of oil and you'll get a different response from everyone. However, as a general guideline, I recommend the following oil characteristics:

- JASO-MA Certified and API SG
- A 10W40 rating
- Synthetic or Semi-synthetic if you ride hard

Other than that, just change the oil at the required intervals and you'll be fine. Personally, I use Castrol Grand Prix but you can use other oils such as...

- Mobil 1 MX4T
- AMSOil AMF 10W40
- Castrol GPS
- Castrol Act-evo
- Motul 300V Sport
- Valvoline 4-Stroke

I hope this helps.

Kat-A-Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:57 AM   #4
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

I feel like there's an echo in here... (good job, Kat-a-tonic!)

I too run the Castrol GPS 10w40 in cooler weather and 20w50 through the peak of the summer (mixing the two in the spring & fall as the Florida heat dictates). Oh, and ParadoxMD, it's a full synthetic these days (has been for a couple years now).

-----------
A cool read:
Castrol tested their newly revised R4 race oil for 100 hours on a brand new CBR600RR (12,600 miles before the first oil change)..

The latest issue of Bike [UK] has a nice write up on their testing robot, which automatically learns any bike when attached to it (including the shift pattern, clutch points, etc).

The UK will be offering R4 variants in other weights than 5w40. I don't know if the US will also be offering the change, but I do have a request in to find out.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet
Old 05-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
paradoxmd
Kat Champion

Tournaments Won: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyberPoet
Oh, and ParadoxMD, it's a full synthetic these days (has been for a couple years now).
even better.
paradoxmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
Gripp
Katrider

I'm runnin Amsoil full synthetic 10-40. I haven't noticed any changes in performance from the non synthetic 10-40.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripp
I'm runnin Amsoil full synthetic 10-40. I haven't noticed any changes in performance from the non synthetic 10-40.
If you want a performance benefit, try running Castrol R4 just once... you'll feel the difference in the seat of your pants...

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet
The CyberPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
FloridaKat
Track Rider

I found a huge difference in performance after switching from Castrol Actevo to Mobil 1 MX4T.

I now find myself looking at the site glass and am amazed that the oil still looks light brown (the Actevo got pretty dark after about 200 miles or so).
FloridaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKat
I found a huge difference in performance after switching from Castrol Actevo to Mobil 1 MX4T.

I now find myself looking at the site glass and am amazed that the oil still looks light brown (the Actevo got pretty dark after about 200 miles or so).
I suspect this may also have to do with the fact that we left the drain open for a long, long time (hours?) and drained the cooler as well...

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet
The CyberPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
FloridaKat
Track Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyberPoet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKat

I suspect this may also have to do with the fact that we left the drain open for a long, long time (hours?) and drained the cooler as well...

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet
I changed the oil the day after we did the valve adjustment, but agree the cooler was probably laced with dirty oil. I did leave the drain open for about 1/2 hour. The next time, I'm definitely going to look at cleaning the metal shavings and screen in the oil pan (thanks for the great advice!).

The biggest difference I've noticed with the oil change is with shifting; I'm finding it easier to shift in all gears, especially from 1st to 2nd. Wierd huh?
FloridaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101