Katriders Rally 2007 - Deals Gap, NC

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 08-14-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
backdraft51185
Katrider

Default headlights dont work

im having a problem in which i cant get either of my headlights to work on high or low beam, im sure its an electrical problem just having trouble tracking it down, anyone else ever encounter this/have any trouble shooting tips?
backdraft51185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
nitros222
Hardley Ableson

hey man,
I have the same problem I pulled my bulb tonight. I had to take off all the plastic on the sides to get it off. My bulb was toasted try that

nitros222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
backdraft51185
Katrider

both my bulbs are fine is the issue
Old 08-14-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

In order:

Headlight, Tail-light or main Fuse.
High-low selector switch.
05 models only: headlight relay defective.
Headlight plugs (melted from using over-rated bulbs).
Wiring bad
Plug disconnected at multi-pin connector over headlight (yellow or black 16 to 20-pin connectors).

I have a whole webpage dedicated to this topic to help you work through it, see:
CyberPoet's "Motorcycle Headlight Electrical Diagnostics & Troubleshooting Page" at motorcycleanchor.com, now offering cheap permanent hearing protection for riders!

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet
Old 08-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
CoNViCT
Katrider

Ive been having problems with my headlights for about a month now, sometimes they work sometimes they dont. The last 2 weeks they have been working fine, however yesterday I went for a ride and they stopped working after I got some gas, then they decided to come back on Ive checked all my wires, ohmed out the connections, I think I just need to do the dieelectric grease thing and they should be fine, I think for me it has something to do with poor connections on the handlebar switch from humidity condensating in the switch oir something....I donno anyhting else it could be and Im really sick of messing with them.
CoNViCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
crazyaussie
Track Rider

eBay ID: crazyaussie

I had the exact same problem about a month ago. My headlights (both low and high beams) just shut off all of a sudden (both bulbs). I looked at the fuses and they looked fine (even replaced the both the low and high beam fuse). I went so far as taking all the fairings off and checking every electrical connection on the bike but to no avail. Finally I just took my bike into the shop. It was a blown TAILLIGHT fuse. There is a relay between the taillight and headlights, so make sure you check that fuse...visual inspection sometimes isn't enough, so try replacing it. Hope this helps...I certainly could have saved $30 if someone let me know about the relay between the two.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
backdraft51185
Katrider

found a blown port in one of the the connector boxes in the wiring and also the soder off of one of the wire in the high/low selector switch had come off and the wire was just hangin there
Old 08-16-2005, 03:10 AM   #8
kiba
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaussie
There is a relay between the taillight and headlights, so make sure you check that fuse...visual inspection sometimes isn't enough, so try replacing it. Hope this helps...I certainly could have saved $30 if someone let me know about the relay between the two.
You sure? 'cause if you do have a relay, then either it's aftermarket or my Suzuki service manual is flat out wrong as it's not mentioned anywhere, even in the schematic

/kiba
kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:15 AM   #9
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiba
You sure? 'cause if you do have a relay, then either it's aftermarket or my Suzuki service manual is flat out wrong as it's not mentioned anywhere, even in the schematic

/kiba
I've never seen it in the 98 - 04 North American models either. Some other markets had mandatory four-way flashers and may have had this relay. The '05 model has a headlight relay (whether it's tied into the tail light is beyond me; I haven't seen the updated wiring schematic for the '05 models yet).

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet
The CyberPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #10
crazyaussie
Track Rider

eBay ID: crazyaussie

Huh...that's weird; the mechanic that worked on the bike said there was a relay...maybe HE was wrong. All I know is that when they replaced the taillight fuse, the headlights started working again. Maybe he just used the wrong terminology and being the newbie I am, I accepted his words. I'm curious now though that if there isn't some sort of relay, why would the headlights go out with a blown taillight fuse?
crazyaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101