Katriders 2010 SoCal Rally

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 04-09-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
toobalicious
Poser

Default JB weld-- ok for minor engine case repair? opinions? advice?

ok... some of you may know that i bought a 1993 gsx750f kat dealy from special K... some of you may also know that the bike had been down prior to my ownership (nothing apparently major, but did cause a little damage)... two things: under the timing cover a little chunk of the mating surface is missing and it leaks (prior shoddy epoxy job)... also, i removed the oil pan to solve a mess of RTV and another leak, and clean the pickup screen while i was in there... once i got the pan off, i found the casting where the middle-of-the-pan bolt goes sheared off in the bottom of the pan... it doesnt appear to be structural, and in fact, i cant really understand why in the f it is there, but what do i know... cant decide if it was already busted or if i got it whilst using the rubber BFH to unstick the RTV--- the bolt was installed and intact, as best i can tell.,.. the pan has been welded to fix a crack, so it must have taken a hit at some point...
i thought i might JB weld these pieces... i have used JB weld before with good results, but this spot is actually *in* the oil sump, and i havent any experience in that kind of application... i may just have the timing cover area TIG-ged and be done with it, but i think the casting under the pan will be too much of a PITA to fix that way... K hooked me up with fresh gaskets, and i have my hondabond handy if it looks dicey--- thanks keith...
what do you think, folks?
a

BTW, this is the second pickup screen i have picked little orange balls of silly-cone out of... friends dont let friends use RTV on their close-tolerance engines!
toobalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
md86
Katastical

eBay ID: md86dammit

Well , I COULD be referred to as the JB Kwik king , becasue at one time pretty much ALL the engine covers on my bike had SOME JB on them ! I had a bunch of it smeared on the inside of my oil pan for almost 2 years before it sprung a leak , and that wasn't because of the patch , a bolt punched a hole in the pan ! Yeah , it'll probably do the job , but if you can find new covers eventually , that might be good ...

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86
md86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
bigtwan251975
Tank Slapper

also fixed fairing good to
Old 04-09-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
Macka
Katrider

What is RTV?
Old 04-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
md86
Katastical

RTV is a sealant that (I BELIEVE) is used on gaskets . Used it for that myself . Think silicone ...
Old 04-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
toobalicious
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by md86
Well , I COULD be referred to as the JB Kwik king , becasue at one time pretty much ALL the engine covers on my bike had SOME JB on them ! I had a bunch of it smeared on the inside of my oil pan for almost 2 years before it sprung a leak , and that wasn't because of the patch , a bolt punched a hole in the pan ! Yeah , it'll probably do the job , but if you can find new covers eventually , that might be good ...
heh, i hear you... the thing is, the timing cover *has* been replaced---this is the actual engine case (a little harder to replace )... i have had the bolt casting soaking in acetone, and wil try that piece first... i have the regular JB weld, not the KWIK... seems i remember the KWIW having a lower temperature threshold?...

macka, RTV is your worst nightmare... Room Temperature Vulcanizing silicone... great for filling in gaps in say, an intake manifold on a V8 chevy... lots of folk use it as a "gasket bandaid" of sorts, because it is impermeable to gas and oil once it is cured... my honda is working on a two year aniversary for repairing the front master cylinder reservoir (dont ask)--- no leaks... however, when used as gasket sealer, some inevitably gooks out into the engine cavity as you mash the parts together because it has definate positive thickness (i.e. doesnt compress like a gasket would)... no biggie, except that these "gook-outs" tend to separate off, which means you now have theve non-soluable rubber boogers rolling around in your oiling system... in small passageways like cam journals and oil pickup screens, it gets stuck, and lives there until physically removed by you... it may or may not completely disrupt oil flow (remember what a good sealant it is)... if you have leaks, BUY A FECKING NEW GASKET! it is cheap assurance... a non-hardening gasket sealer like hondabond is a much better alternative if the surfaces are mangled, but you need to have a clean suface to start with (i.e. new gasket)...

ok, RTV rant mode off...

a
a
toobalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #7
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobalicious
heh, i hear you... the thing is, the timing cover *has* been replaced---this is the actual engine case (a little harder to replace )... i have had the bolt casting soaking in acetone, and wil try that piece first... i have the regular JB weld, not the KWIK... seems i remember the KWIW having a lower temperature threshold?...
Yup... you heard it from me recently. JB Weld's 4-minute stuff has a temperature ceiling of 300 degrees (F), while their standard stuff has a 600 degree use ceiling after curing. Since the oil in the Kats can easily exceed 300 degrees on a hot day of highway driving, don't use the 4-minute JB Weld "Quick" formulation on it.
There are also other alternative epoxy compounds out that will do as good or better of a job of fixing metal.

PS - used oil pans in good condition usually run $20 - $40 on ebay.

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet
Old 04-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #8
md86
Katastical

Well , like I said , I've had pretty good luck with the stuff on my oil pan and engine covers . Dunno if I just got lucky (I and someone else whose bike I did the same to ! ) or what , but there you go . I've HEARD of people using JB to repair holes in engines using a quarter or something as filler , but that was of course on the JB Weld website .
Old 04-09-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
ThAzKat
KatBusa Owner

eBay ID: ThAzkat93

Oh man, JB weld, IMHO one of two tools to be sure to have with you. The other being Duct tape.
1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
Who knows what is next?
Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192
ThAzKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #10
md86
Katastical

I keep BOTH in my bag ! Also don't forget ... wire ties , electrical tape , super glue , and a few tools !
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101