Katriders Rally 2007 - Deals Gap, NC

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 02-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
crazymofo
Knee Dragger

Default TPS sensor??!!

i was reading somewhere a while back that the 98+ kats have a TPS sensor on them, so im wondering what function it has since the kat runs carburetors.

is it tied into the ignition? for example, see's the enigine has X amount of throttle, imparts X degree's of ignition.

if this is the case, it looks like ive got some modifications to make to the gsxr1100 carbs i have floating round. i have found a set of bandit carbs, which i have picked up for a song, but i got them bare, meaining if there was a tps on it, i certanly cant tell. the gsxr carbs have a bogger thoat on them too (or so i can see)

cheers.joe.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
zerocool61
Katrider

TPS?? I haven't heard that the Kat has a TPS, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Selby
Katrider

It's listed on the wiring schematic....
Selby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
ThAzKat
KatBusa Owner

eBay ID: ThAzkat93

It is part #3 on this schematic, it repositions it self when the bike is turned on and the same when bike is turned off, controled by the ECU.
1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
Who knows what is next?
Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192
ThAzKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #5
Junior
Kat Legend

THAZ....part #3 looks like a washer to me.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:04 AM   #6
ThAzKat
KatBusa Owner

eBay ID: ThAzkat93

OOOPPSS, typo, #23 is the part you should be looking for.
ThAzKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:42 AM   #7
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

(A) yes, there is a TPS on the 98-05 models. They may also be present on the 96-97 model year, but I'm not sure.

(B) The sensor is a simple hall sensor that tells the system how far the butterflies are rotated, so the digital ignition system (DIS) can tell if the bike is idle (minimum throttle), steady-cruise or WOT. I've been trying to get Suzuki's tech people to give me a concrete answer on how this modifies the ignition timing, but haven't gotten an definitive answer yet. My research indicates that it should affect primarily low to mid-throttle openings and help provide crisp power with added torque in those zones over a non-TPS system (by changing the spark advance). I also suspect the combination of the TPS, the RPM sensor, speed sensor and the DIS mapping for advance change the spark timing at idle and around 4200 RPM to minimize sound levels for compliance with noise regulations at time of delivery. If you look at the wiring diagrams closely, the ignitor box gets feeds from all of those inputs (TPS, speedo, rpm).
Suzuki's own marketing press info states that the TPS improves drivability by increasing mid-range and just-off-idle power, resulting in a wider spread of torque.

(C) On bikes equipped with a secondary thottle valve system (such as the SV650), the TPS also feeds control info to the DC motor that moves the secondary throttle valve(s).

(D) On bikes equipped with injection (such as the 2003 GSX-R), the system uses dual fuel injection maps for each cylinder, with the first map being fed primarily by air pressure, and the second map being at mid to WOT based on TPS info. The '03 GSXR series also uses two sets of ignition mapping as well at the ECM based on which gear the bike is in (1-4 gets one map, 5&6 gets another). Since the Kat doesn't have a gear sensor as such, it may do the same thing by doing some simple math on the speed vs. RPM levels to come up with the gear.

KNOW THIS:
Because of the position of the TPS, it is a lot easier to take the readings for it at the other end of the short pigtail cable than it is to get probes up to the TPS sensor itself with the carbs in place.

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet
Old 02-13-2005, 02:18 AM   #8
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

A little bit more research has led me to conclude that there are different ignitor boxes on the market, meaning that there are probably different maps for the different advancer set-ups.

Example - for a '99 Kat 600:
Switzerland & Austria Ignitor 329000-08F30
Continental Europe Ignitor 329000-08F00
USA 49-state: 32900-08FB0 or 32900-08F20 (not sure which)
California: probably the other of the two above.

The factory service manual (pg 6-26) also shows the TPS info feeding directly into the main CPU within the ignitor as one of the input sources, and the presence of a seperate ROM within the ignitor box as well, meaning it could contain multiple ignition timing maps.

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet
The CyberPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:31 AM   #9
crazymofo
Knee Dragger

wow cyber, im impressed! thanks for that info.

it basicly affirmed what i originally thought. i thought i could be a cheap dodgy bastard and just fit the gixxer1100 carbs, but! i'll modify them to accept the tps at the end of the throttle shaft.

thanks again ppl.. problem solved.... er.. nearly LOL

cheers.joe.
crazymofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:42 AM   #10
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymofo
wow cyber, im impressed! thanks for that info.

it basicly affirmed what i originally thought. i thought i could be a cheap dodgy bastage and just fit the gixxer1100 carbs, but! i'll modify them to accept the tps at the end of the throttle shaft.
If you're going with the turbo, I'd consider leaving the TPS disconnected. It would probably be far easier to tune the carbs if the TPS isn't modifying the ignition timing. The other thing is that I have no clue how you could modify a set of carbs not intended for TPS to take a TPS signal (the shaft isn't there for it to read off-of, right?).

Finally, why are you swapping carbs at all unless you are changing displacement? The smaller diameter 750 carbs should result in a higher intake charge velocity at the carb & intake valves, resulting in better cylinder loading at virtually all RPM's (or did I miss that you are going to an overbore or bigger engine?).

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet
The CyberPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101