Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

ugh.. But I dont WANNA clean my carbs.... again.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ugh.. But I dont WANNA clean my carbs.... again.

Well guys, i went and did it. I left gas sitting in my bike from November to January. I tend to procrastinate. Anyway, last year the carbs were clean as a whistle, bike ran beautifully, started beautifully, and idled beautifully at cold temps. But then I had to go and turn my back on the ol' girl all winter. I partially blame the ice storm that rolled through knocking my power out for 5 days followed by long cold months under 4 foot of snow but im getting side tracked again.
    I pulled the carbs before it started getting warm and very carelessly cleaned them using about 3/4 can of carb cleaner. The main jets looked good, the O-rings still grabbed the holes pretty well and the little o rings on the black plugs were in good shape too. I said screw it Im gunna blast some cleaner through and call it good....

Nope. Not good, what so ever.

Pretty sure the pilot jets are still clogged. Wont idle without the choke. I adjusted the idle and fully warmed it up and it was idling at 3K so i turned it back down and it wants to peter out and die at almost every red light. I had to combine feathering the choke and throttle to keep her up when stopped. PITA. Soooo... I guess today when I get home, instead of going out riding like a good little boy, I will be hunched over my workbench inside cleaning my carbs.... again.... For all you noobs out there, take it from me, cutting corners doesnt get the job done. It just draws it out.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Thank you captain obvious

Comment

wasnt trying to tell anyone anything that they didnt already know. (although it seems that theres alot of people on here that just dont get it.) more of a rant than an educational piece.
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I'd rather just buy a set of those arsenic carbs they just look so clean and pretty on ebay

Comment

Did you message me on eBay today? Pre 600, V&H full exhaust, if it wasn't you, it was a bike just like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Did you message me on eBay today? Pre 600, V&H full exhaust, if it wasn't you, it was a bike just like yours.
            Ha i wish don't have that kinda cash yet but as long as u brought it up do you have and and what would be the price and what should I do with my old ones if I were to buy some from you

Comment

Originally posted by Shield2009 View Post
              I'd rather just buy a set of those arsenic carbs they just look so clean and pretty on ebay
              Do that every year when they need cleaning and you'll become Arsenic's best friend and superannuation plan all in one.

Comment

Luckily, the longest I went without riding was two weeks. Not so fortunate for my CRF450X. Went to start it and the same problem. Choke only and bucking on off feeling if you try to ride it just above idle. This brings up a question that would apply to all carb bikes.
                I have heard of three winterizing procedures. Which is best if you need to winterize?

1) fuel stabilizer in the fuel then run it to get it into the carb.

2) fuel stabilizer in fuel and drain the float bowl.

3) drain the float bowl.

Does it hurt the rubber parts like orings and float needle seats to keep them dry over the winter?

Comment

Well, when i pulled them the first time, i cleaned the pilot jets. when i pulled them the second time, the pilots were clogged again. I dont have any chemdip at the moment so I sprayed carb cleaner through the pilot circuits till i was covered in it, put seafoam in the tank and ran the bike for a while. it was raining so i just let it idle for about 5 minutes, killed it for 10-15 minutes and let it idle for 5 minutes a couple of time to get the seafoamed fuel in the system. I need a new idle adjustment screw mine is a PITA to get to because the extension part was busted off when i got it. Hopefully I can get it to half ass run until I get a replacement idle adjuster then when i pull them to replace that, i will probably be dipping them. Man o' man would it be nice to be able to just buy a new set every spring. Sure would make life easier but at the same time, not putting off winterizing the damn thing until the dead of winter would also probably make life alot easier. Ya live ya learn. i knew i was going to have to go through this come spring time, but like i said above. I've been known to procrastinate.... Especially when the temps are below -20 degrees like they were this past winter.
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

i always find a can of seafoam at the beginning of the year works wonders for keeping the carbs clean

Comment

Working...
                    X