X

BEWARE All Balls bearings!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEWARE All Balls bearings!

I have some info you might all appreciate, or not, about All Balls motorcycle bearings.

I will start off by saying that ever since I can remember, I have been "tinkering" on a lot of stuff ranging from maintenance on shop machinery, lawn mowers, garden tractors, boats, cars, bikes, snowmobiles, etc, etc. I am 48, so let's say I have 30 or so years experience. During this time, I have replaced some sort of bearing on all I mentioned above. During this time my bearings of choice have always been Timken (US made since 1899), with SKF, a Swedish company formed in 1907 coming in a very close 2nd. These two bearing companies are pretty much the "standard" when it comes to bearings.

Now, fast forward to the late 1990's or so, a "new" bearing company shows up on the market, aimed towards those who have toys such as ATV's and motorcycles, both items that are well known to be owned by individuals who often have more money than brains when it comes investing in these items. However to be fair, it is not always a "more money than brains" scenario, and can be just a case of misinformation. well, I am hoping this info will help set some folks straight when it comes to that.

FACT: All Balls is nothing but cheap generic Chinese bearings sold in a fancy package, surrounded by a lot of hype created by word of mouth and clever advertising, aimed at a niche market where word of mouth and hype can spread like wildfire once the topic is discussed/shared on public forums such as this one and the million others like it.

I spent the last 2 days doing my homework. I have googled and googled 'til I just can't google no more. I have always been "suspect" of All Balls, but never really looked into them because...well, I am not a All Balls consumer, so I really didn't care. However, I am concerned when I feel my fellow riders are being duped, so I did the research.

RESULTS: All Balls have ZERO information about their bearings. There is no mention of the manufacturing process or where they even come from. However, I did come across some information where one guy actually decided to find out himself, so he wrote to them. This is the info he was given.

From All Balls answering my question; "I would like to know more about your product, Part Number 25-1415. Are the bearing parts "completely" made in the USA with USA "parts" or are pieces to this kit made from China produced materials?"

All Balls:
    "We do the design and specifications on the bearing in house , then they are manufactured in China to our specs. They are a Abec 3 level same as OEM."

Paul Waslin
    All BAllS Racing
    Bearings and Components
    822 North Reading Ave.
    New Berlinville, PA 19545
    T: (888) 228-3323
    P: (610) 473-0505
    F: (888)552-0557
    Email : [email protected]

So, for all you all Balls fans out there....I am really sorry I have to burst your bubble like this, but I can't possibly sit back and keep my mouth shut while so many of my fellow riders are dishing out more $ for cheap Chinese "knock offs" than they would pay for true quality bearings like Timken and SKF. Insisting All Balls are the "best", just tells me they you have been greatly fooled by a lot of hype and very clever marketing. The simple fact is that anyone with a little start up cash and clever advertising aimed at a niche market, can become the new "All Balls". I could contact a Chinese manufacturer tomorrow and secure a supply of cheap bearings and call them "Mojoe Balls" and have a shot at becoming the next "all Balls", with some clever advertising and word of mouth on forums like this.

Take this info as you wish. If you wish to continue to believe All Balls are simply the best bearings for your bike, then by all means, keep on thinking that. But if you truly do want the best, then stay the fuck away from All Balls, because they are nothing but cheap generic Chinese bearings, and I suggest you stick with well known and established bearings from the likes of Timken and SKF. :

Oh ya....if you feel I am just full of shit, well, contact All Balls and ask them yourself. And if the admins to this site truly do care what is best for it's members, this should be stickied or something. All Balls being the best is simply not true. Hell, even All Balls themselves do not make that claim. It's simply false information spread around by the "misinformed" that now has the majority believing it's true.

oh...and one other bit of info. even the replay from Paul Waslin is only half true. All Balls do not do the design and specifications. How can a new company like All Balls design the specifications for a bearing for a 1980 Suzuki, when that design and specifications already exists? That is kinda like claiming they re-invented the bearing, which is as insane as say Ford claiming to having re-invented the wheel just because they paint them yellow instead of the standard black. At most, their "design and specifications" is probably something as simple as "we would like a blue seal instead of a black one so we can appear different, then promote it as the best".
    Last edited by Mojoe; 12-28-2013, 05:48 PM.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

SKF bearings are produced in Sweden and China
    Timken has centers in Bangalore- India, Colmar- France, Keene- New Hampshire, Lebanon- New Hampshire, Manchester-Connecticut, Mesa- Arizona, North Canton- Ohio, Ploiesti- Romania, Shanghai- China

So its good chance that a timken unit can come from the US or any of their plants.

The set of AB wheel bearings I put on the front wheel of the kat were marked skf, the head set bearings I don't recall, but since they don't make complete revolution, its not an issue.

The bottom line is don't but the cheapest thing you can buy.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Yes, Timken has plants around the world. They are actually established in something like 30 countries. Plants will be set up around the world to furnish the needs of the world. standard wheel bearings for a motorcycle are just that, standard bearings. they apply to more than just motorcycle or else bearing shops wouldn't carry them. chances are there is a plant in the us that is putting them out. or not.

It doesn't matter because I think you are missing the point. unless all balls are getting their bearings from Timken or SKF, they are pushing inferior bearings off on bikers. in the "bearing world", if you will, those two brands are synonymous with quality. "can't go wrong with a timken", any machinist, engineer, technician, mechanic, etc, etc, will agree upon.

and then along comes all balls? suddenly they have become the "quality" bearing? so much so that people will actually pay 50 to 100% more to order it online, then pay at least $5-10 more for the shipping, just to have this "quality" bearing? it is really so much better than going to the local auto parts store and pick up a timken or skf, the brands anyone in the industrial sector will agree are the "standard" in quality, for $8-10?

I wish I didn't have to be a bit of an ass to get my point across. I wish I could be all nice and politically correct and polite and shit, but no one is going to listen to "um, guys, do you, ummm, think it might be possible that all balls might be charging a bit too much?".

that shit just don't work, so here I am as the devil's advocate. all balls ain't worth the damn effort. cost you 3x as much after shipping for a chinese bearing with, so far, zero knowledge of who is making it. no quality reputation to speak of.

hey... I'm done. if just one rider can actually comprehend what I am saying here, and think, "makes perfect sense to me. screw all balls, I am picking up a timken at napa", then I will feel I have done my job. more would be better, but hey, one is a start. then that is one more soldier to battle the "all balls are the greatest motorcycle bearings out there", myth.

"it's all bullshit, folks, and it's bad for ya". George Carlin was a effin' genius.

Oh ya, I know it stings to hear this. especially to you guys who might have just bought a set. It's going to sting anyone who owns, or intend to own, all balls bearings. You first instinct is going to be denial. You would think I am an ass shooting my mouth off with no clue as to what I am talking about. I am pissing in a lot of bowls of corn flakes. I can totally understand this, as I too have had my bubble popped before. It really does suck to find out everything you believed was "great" about something, was really just hype. some of you iPhone users out there who have waited in anticipation for the next new toy, must be familiar with that feeling?

But I assure you, what I am telling you is truth. You can verify it yourself, or choose to remain in denial and ignorant to the subject. I just don't know how else to put it without ruffling any feathers. if you don't get it by now, you never will, and anything else i say will just be a waste of breath.

peace out.

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
      The set of AB wheel bearings I put on the front wheel of the kat were marked skf, the head set bearings I don't recall, but since they don't make complete revolution, its not an issue.

The bottom line is don't but the cheapest thing you can buy.
      Bingo? So why buy all balls when you can buy that same skf at napa for probably half the price with no shipping? just to pay for their name and packaging? it's what people are doing.
      Last edited by Mojoe; 12-28-2013, 11:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I knew the first second that allballs was a low grade bearing. I just looked at it and felt it. Its casing is the worst. its cheap metal that bends. I dropped one of the bearings on the table from fairly low heigt and the casing was bent. However I didnt buy allballs because of quality I bought it because its cheap for me. I dont know about the prices you get over there but SKF is very expensive over here in Norway

with that said though, my steering bearings are pushing roughly 40 000km now even with the cheap stuff ( expensive to you maybe )
        Last edited by mammut89; 12-29-2013, 03:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

how much were the SKF?

This site might interest you if you want to purchase from the UK.

If you need a bearing for say a GSX750F 1989 to 97, the rear wheel bearings are number 6303 2RS for both left and right side.

on this page it lists the 6303 2RS for 7.42 euros, or pounds, or whatever it is.

this bearing is likely just as good as all balls. one thing certain, it will work in a bike with no problem and not likely to ever give you any problems.
          it sells for a whoppin' $3.87. I would not be afraid to use it all. it appears to look just like the timken bearings I bought, but half the price I paid at UAP.

Offers low price, high quality power transmission products including pillow block bearings, ATV Bearings, roller chain, disc harrow bearings, Arctic Cat Bearing, Honda Bearing, Yamaha Bearing, ball bearings, and flange bearings.

About: http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/index.html
          Last edited by Mojoe; 12-29-2013, 05:33 AM.

Comment

that would be a good price, will check them out next time I need bearings. thank you
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

no problem. glad to be of help.

Comment

I would like to think as I'm traveling down the highway at untold speeds
                that my bearings are of good quality,wouldn't you? The 1100 front wheel
                takes a special bearing 09262-17034 B1 17X42X13 BEARING
                ( smaller ) & I could only get it at Suzuki. $30.00
                approx. The other bearing 08123-63037 B1 17X47X14 BEARING is a standard size along with the rear wheel bearings.Like Mojoe said SKF or TIMKEN are the ones to buy.My dad showed me 30 + years ago how to repack
                bearings. They were timken bearings.
                Attached Files

Comment

Any one in the Uk looking for bearings give these guys a try, iv been using them for 30 years for work and cant tell you how good they are. I bought a set of Micron bearings for the headstock on my lathe a few years ago and these guys saved me close to £300 pounds on the bearings.
                  I have also used them for car and bike bearings and they only supply good quality bearings no chinese crap.

Again in the UK if you need drill bit or taps and dies try this lot, they supply the best cutting drills money can buy and the taps and dies are as good as it gets.

Huge Range of Drill Bits & Accessories. Same Day Despatch before 4pm! Customs Available -Milling Cutters, Reamers & Much More | Order Now - 01293 774 911
                  sigpic
                  "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Comment

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
                    I would like to think as I'm traveling down the highway at untold speeds
                    that my bearings are of good quality,wouldn't you?
                    The 1100 front wheel
                    takes a special bearing 09262-17034 B1 17X42X13 BEARING
                    ( smaller ) & I could only get it at Suzuki. $30.00
                    approx. The other bearing 08123-63037 B1 17X47X14 BEARING is a standard size along with the rear wheel bearings.Like Mojoe said SKF or TIMKEN are the ones to buy.My dad showed me 30 + years ago how to repack
                    bearings. They were timken bearings.
                    exactly, and I have seen ZERO proof that All Balls are indeed quality bearings. All I have seen is a whole lot of bikers claiming they are, with a good chance that more than half of them have no experience with bearings at all aside from replacing the ones on their bike. I will admit that they must be "good enough", in the sense that no one has crashed and burn from them that I have heard of, but that doesn't mean they are the best.

and yes, the 1100 does take one bearing that can only come from Suzuki. as far as I know, it is the only bike in the Suzuki line-up that is like that. the rest are all standard.

as for repacking bearings, be careful with that. some folks believe you should just pack them full of grease, but that is not the case. Just imagine you are running in mud. which will be easier...mud up to your knees, or mud up to your crotch? a bearing works in a similar way. pack it too full and it will heat up more and it will just leak bearing grease. With a company like Timken or SKF, who have been around forever, I just assume they know how to pack a sealed bearing. I have read on other forums how some will remove the seal, pack it full, then put the seal back. This is something I would not do, myself.

anyway, bottom line....I think All Balls suck ass. Not necessarily because they are "bad" bearings, but because of all the hype they have generated. I have not come across one stinkin' bit of proof that they are the premier motorcycle bearing, aside from a whole lot of claims to that by other riders, who as I mentioned before, likely lack any real mechanical experience.

oh, and for the record, the chances of any bearing just failing in a way that will cause you to wreck your bike is somewhere between "when hell freezes over" and "not likely". There are warning signs before that happens, and if I was a rider concerned about my bearings, I would learn what to look for in bearing failure, before worrying too much about which one is supposed to be the best.

Originally posted by KevinGambrell View Post

Again in the UK if you need drill bit or taps and dies try this lot, they supply the best cutting drills money can buy and the taps and dies are as good as it gets.

http://www.drill-service.co.uk/
                    Like other companies, that one doesn't manufacture. It resells what they get from their suppliers. There is a good chance they carry cutting tools from Tivoly, a European company that I used to work for. They have one factory in the US, in Derby-Line, Vermont. It is the picture on the bottom left. I worked there for 3 years. Also that plant is a lot bigger than it looks. Half of it is in Canada and it is joined by a small walking bridge over the river that is the border. The Canadian side closed down and it is where I rented my shop when I was in the used motorcycle parts business.

Concepteur & fabricant d'outils coupants & accessoires électroportatifs
                    Last edited by Mojoe; 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hello Mojoe,
                      Drill services do re-sell but they also manufacture.
                      sigpic
                      "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                        So why buy all balls when you can buy that same skf at napa for probably half the price with no shipping?
                        because I'm a dealer and I buy at cost.
                        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

All Balls being the best is simply not true.
                          The funny thing to me is that I have never seen anyone claim they are the best. Ever. I will say that they do offer easy solutions. Rather than the average person trying to figure out the bearing specs for their bike, they can type in "1991 Suzuki Katana Bearings" and probably find a package from All Ballz containing what they need. That convenience is worth it sometimes.

Not trying to sway anyone either way, just pointing a simple fact out.
                          Ron
                          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I have the All Balls brand bearings in my rear wheel. I personally wouldn't just replace it with one that fits, id want the right bearings designed for the job. Thats just me.
                            And this was in reference to ordering All Balls..

I order from BB now and then, but they charge me a minimum of $40 plus duty no matter how small the order and if its larger they charge me more. Ebay was $25 plus $20 ship.
                            And if you pay total attention and go back a couple of years worth of posts, you will see quite a few references to members who have ordered All Balls online, and paid shipping fees, for essential a bearing they can pick up at napa for 1/2 the price.

As for "convenience", it's actually easier to get the right bearing size than it is to get oil filter number. Bike Bandit list my wheel bearing as 20X47X14, which is all I need to get a new bearing. Yet BB just lists a part number for the oil filter, which has to be cross referenced.

In a nutshell, it is no more difficult to figure out the right bearing as it is the right oil filter. the part number is stamped on a bearing the same way it is stamped on an oil filter. and imho, if you can't figure out how to walk into napa with your bearing number and get a timken or skf, then you should probably not be screwing around with your bearings in the first place.

So, not to be too harsh or anything, but I think "convenience" means more like "ignorant" or lazy". With the info I just gave on All Balls, there really is only 3 reasons why one should keep buying them. 1) You just aren't smart enough to be able to locate the part number that is clearly stamped on your bearing. or 2) you are just too lazy to take that part number into Napa and ask for a timken or skf that matches said part number, or 3) you don't believe a word of the facts I posted and continue to think All Balls are worth paying twice the price for.

As for you not seeing anyone claim they are the best....well, meanstrk, they don't have to. when you start seeing a trend where everyone start replacing oem with All Balls, you just have to assume that many of them believe they are getting the best, or else they would not be paying more for them, and the shipping it costs to receive them.

Anyway, I am done with this. It was only my intention to bring some FACTS to light. If folks want to pay the extra for All Balls because it is more convenient, or because they can't figure out how to take down the number on the oem bearing and walk into Napa with it to pick up a quality timken or skf, or even if they think I am full of shit and still believe All Balls are the best bearing for their bike.....well, that's their choice.

Comment

where you quoted me about "not just replacing with one that fits"...I said that because I don't know bearings...I wouldn't wanna advise someone to find a bearing that fits if it weren't up to carrying the same load or being exposed to the same situation. For example having an open bearing that is the same size but will be exposed to water, salt, sand etc and require more frequent re-packing whereas the one for this application would be encased to hold grease and deter the elements its exposed to. Again im not all knowledgeable on bearings but this is based off of common sense and being cautious. Now granted theyre made in china but realistically...what isnt these days lol.

Out of convenience and peace of mind I ordered mine with a bunch of other stuff online with free shipping. Knowing that a part is sold on numerous well known sites as well as used by a bunch of members on here for the exact purpose I intended was good enough for me to give them a try. Now will I go to napa and get cheaper price bearings in the future? yea sure. Problem is its somewhat inconvenient lol the nearest napa I know of is 50 miles so the cost difference would wash out plus the time it would take.

In your defense mojoe I did find that the all balls bearings had slighlty more drag than the oem I had. An not tryin to bash your point or anything just trying to share my point of view. I do appreciate the time you've invested researching and going out of your way to inform us
                              Last edited by crazycraven420; 01-01-2014, 07:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                              X