No announcement yet.
X

Bandit Calipers on Kat 1100 Revisited!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit Calipers on Kat 1100 Revisited!

Ok folks,

I put a question out there about a week ago on the compatibility of Suzuki Bandit brake calipers on a pre-94' Katana 1100. Because I really didn't get any definitive answers on the subject, I decided to just buy a pair of the calipers to find out for myself, and report back my results.

Here is are the results:

THEY WORK!

They are indeed a straight bolt-on option - no plates. adapters, or spacers required... BUT, once they were bolted on, I quickly realized that the stock brake lines were too short to reach the new calipers. Fortunately, I found a very cool shop nearby that set me up with some extra stainless lines they had laying around, and sold them to me for $50 (I threw in a six-pack of beer to show my appreciation). The lines were a hair short so they look a little goofy, but it all works really well. I might get some longer lines cut later, when I have nothing left to tinker with.

All in all, I am super psyched to have a nice set of four-pots on the front now, with SS lines, and just wanted to let others know that this is about as simple as it gets. My total investment in this project (excluding brake fluid) was $140+beer. Not bad!

I have attached photos for you to all look at in case you want to make the change.

-Chris
    Attached Files

Update:

On a second inspection, I just noticed the there is a slight discrepancy with the alignment to the rotor. The smaller set pf pots on the caliper contact the outer circumference of the rotor so the pad is slightly misaligned. So far this does not seam to create any problems, but the definitely overhangs the edge of the rotor slightly, so I might have to consider purchasing larger diameter discs. This would not be a bad thing, but not something I expected I would need to do either. Going to ponder it a little before deciding what to do.

Comment

You can see that your only using part of the rotor. Larger rotor would help or fab a bracket to drop the caliper down, pretty close fit though. If I remember right there was a thread where brackets were made for nissin calipers, from what bike I can't remember. found it, it was a set of gsxr1k calipers. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...issin+calipers
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 06-01-2013, 04:32 PM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        You can see that your only using part of the rotor. Larger rotor would help or fab a bracket to drop the caliper down, pretty close fit though. If I remember right there was a thread where brackets were made for nissin calipers, from what bike I can't remember. found it, it was a set of gsxr1k calipers. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...issin+calipers
        A bracket would probably be easy enough to make, but I prefer the clean look without. Trying to figure out a rotor swap solution, though I took a look at the pads, and they are running at a slight angle, so brackets might be the best way to go.
        Last edited by chrishophoto; 06-01-2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I wonder if the calipers are the same as the gixxer? If they are, maybe the brackets are still available.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

not an 1100 but i tried my bandit sixpots against my pre 750 0ne hole was about 3/8s off ,but its just a rat so i,ll put the 2 pots back on

Comment

So I have finally decided that this experiment is over. I am certain that I could make some brackets that would work for this, but my vanity says no. I'd rather have a clean looking fork set-up than something that looks too Jerry-rigged. A big part of this decision is because the other idea I had was to get some larger diameter rotors to fit, but that is when I noticed that the 1100 Kat uses six mounting bolts on the wheel, while almost every other Suzuki (Bandit, GSXRs, etc.) use a five bolt pattern, making finding a compatible disc a probable nightmare.

So, it's back to the stock calipers, which I just bought off of ebay a short while ago. I may decide to upgrade the master cylinder to a GSXR one if I am still not happy with the brakes once I have them together.

It was a fun experiment to do, and now I know. I'm sure I will probably swap things out to 17" wheels anyway sometime down the road, so this is only an inconvenient steppingstone.

-C

Comment

From what I got from the prior thread, the ready made brackets didn't look to bad, might try it myself.
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 06-06-2013, 08:45 AM.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

OK, let's take a look at this. This may be a great option as part of a 17" wheel swap. What year Bandit did those rotors come from?
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                    From what I got from the prior thread, the ready mode brackets didn't look to bad, might try it myself.
                    I'm sure they look ok, but I personally, want to keep it looking stock to an untrained eye.

Wait!... I just thought of something absolutely brilliant! I'll have custom brackets made that can be tigwelded to the front of the forks, mounting the non-stock calipers upside down covering the front of the discs, and keep the stock calipers in their traditional locations. thus having two calipers in per disk. I will have to split each line three ways to accommodate everything. It will probably look like some sort of strange creature grabbing my wheels, not to mention a significant increase in unsprung weight, but think of how good the brake modulation would be!

-C

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      OK, let's take a look at this. This may be a great option as part of a 17" wheel swap. What year Bandit did those rotors come from?
                      It wasn't the rotors I tried to swap, it was the calipers. The stock ones that came with the bike were in poor shape, so as long as I was going to replace the calipers, or spend the same amount on small parts to rebuild the ones I had, I thought I might as well upgrade. Too bad it wasn't a match but I know I can get what I want out of stock calipers, stainless lines and possibly an upgraded master cylinder .

Comment

Originally posted by chrishophoto View Post
                        I'm sure they look ok, but I personally, want to keep it looking stock to an untrained eye.

Wait!... I just thought of something absolutely brilliant! I'll have custom brackets made that can be tigwelded to the front of the forks, mounting the non-stock calipers upside down covering the front of the discs, and keep the stock calipers in their traditional locations. thus having two calipers in per disk. I will have to split each line three ways to accommodate everything. It will probably look like some sort of strange creature grabbing my wheels, not to mention a significant increase in unsprung weight, but think of how good the brake modulation would be!

-C
                        So, some potential issues... mounting the caliper upside down means that the bleed screw is upside down. Also you are changing the forces involved. Right now when you brake, the caliper is "pushing" on the fork. The opposed calipers will now "pull" on the fork.

The floating discs will now essentilly be grabbed in two directions.

I'm not sure why you would need an extra set of calipers, frankly it sounds silly. TOO much brake can ALSO be a bad thing. You run the risk of VERY easily grabbing a handful and flipping yourself over the bars.

What is the issue you are trying to address overall with the braking performance?
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                          So, some potential issues... mounting the caliper upside down means that the bleed screw is upside down. Also you are changing the forces involved. Right now when you brake, the caliper is "pushing" on the fork. The opposed calipers will now "pull" on the fork.

The floating discs will now essentilly be grabbed in two directions.

I'm not sure why you would need an extra set of calipers, frankly it sounds silly. TOO much brake can ALSO be a bad thing. You run the risk of VERY easily grabbing a handful and flipping yourself over the bars.

What is the issue you are trying to address overall with the braking performance?

I wasn't being serious, but thanks for thinking it through anyway!

-C

Comment

thats a cool swap. I dont really see the need as the stock kat brakes will lock up the wheel pretty easily lol. And whats exactly stock looking when you have huge racetech stickers on the forks lol, I also dont think your rotors are stock as they look alot like my EBC rotors (have less holes drilled in them than stock).

I wonder is this would work on the pre 600s with the 17" rim?
                            1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                            fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                            55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                            R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                            Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

IIRC, the 600s and 750s have the same hole spacing for the calipers. As ratana 7fiddy discovered, the holes were about 3/8" off.

chrishophoto, Sorry I mis-spoke, what year/model bandit were those calipers from?
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X