X

Starter Problem!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Problem!!!

I have a 98' kat 600. My bike has been running great this summer, just got the oil changed and new tires. Ive never had problems with my bike starting but today after a short ride I stopped off for a break. When I tried to resume my ride my bike wouldn't turn over. All my lights and gauges work but I got zilch from the starter. The bike isn't even turning over which scared me but I was able to push start it in first to get home. Im not really sure what caused this, it was a little warm today (mid 80s) so i thought maybe the bike had overheated but I would think it would still turn over.

Im looking fr any suggestions on what to check/replace. Is this electrical or mechanical? Has anyone had anything similar happen? Im a little boggled on this one since it kind of just happened suddenly with no prior problems. Yes my kickstand was up, yes it was in neutral, no the kill switch was not engaged, and yes I checked the two wires by the clutch lever to be snug and fitted. Any HELPFUL replies would be appreciated
    Ride it like you built it!

The clutch safety switch probably went bad, the 2 wires you checked. You can jumper them where they plug into the harness at to test.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
      You can jumper them where they plug into the harness at to test.
      Im not sure what you mean by this, care to elaborate?

Comment

Follow the two wires that run from your clutch handle to where they plug into the wire harness. One is male, the other is female. Plug thems into each other on the harness and it is by-passed.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

thanks for the help! ill try this out in the morning and hopefully itll work

Comment

Check your side stand kill switch too.
            Kyle

Comment

I checked my side stand switch and tried to dummy jump my clutch wires but no luck. I decided to pull the bike apart and start the rebuild Ive been putting off. Hopefully by disassembling and reassembling everything the problem will work itself out or Ill find the source in the process.

Comment

don't forget about the manual and wiring diagrams in the wiki.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

if you jump the starter solenoid does it crank AND get spark?

I had the same problem with my bike, turns out that the start/kill switch assembly was bad.

After i jumped the wires for the kill switch together and the wires for the start button, i could then get it to crank and get spark.

By jumping those switches the bike would crank by simply depressing the clutch with the key on.

Basically tricks the bike into thinking the kill switch is in the run position and the start switch has been depressed.

Hope that isn't confusing lol
                  Last edited by jamieXD; 05-22-2013, 03:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  Shit happens when you party naked

You're supposed to be team muscle...don't make me come over there and make you team pus*y! - F&F6

Comment

Did you ever figure out the problem?

You're supposed to be team muscle...don't make me come over there and make you team pus*y! - F&F6

Comment

I have my bike half way broken down with no tank on it right now. I did dummy jump the wires but haven't tired to start my bike for a little under 2 weeks. Should be back together before Monday and ill let you know

Comment

Cool cool, I hope its something cheap to fix!

Comment

Still cant get my bike to turn over.... jumped the wires but she still didnt crank. i even took apart my starter switch assembly to ensure i was getting connection when depressing the button. im really starting to think my stater is bad which i really hope its not... again this happened just after a short ride started fine before hnd but once i turned the bike off i havent been able to start it. can anyone think of anything else that might be causing this?????

Comment

I am experiencing this same thing right now.. since I read this thread and am going to try your advice and see what happened. I should be able to test it on Wednesday and let you guys know..
                            Knee Touchdown!
                            00' Katana!
                            sigpic

Comment

Have you jumped the starter relay, large post to large post? please ensure that it's in neutral or on the center stand first. that will tell you if it's the starter.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X