X

Rear Tire Options

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Tire Options

I am sure there is an answer to this somewhere on the site, but this is my first visit and not sure where to look.
    Anyway - Great Site - Hope to get some usefull information and direction.
    Just purchased an '01 GSX600F Katana and will be picking it up Saturday. The rear tire is stock so I assume it is a 150/70/17.

My question is: What is the widest tire I can put on the rear of the bike without doing any mods?

I am also considering going to a 55 or 60 series tire to lower the bike some, but I would also like to have a bit more width.
    Thanks...

basically 160/60/17 is your best option

michelin pilot road 2
    michelin pilot road 3
    continental contiRoadAttack

are good premium sport touring tires
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

look up 180 tire on katana on youtube..u can run a 180 with no modifications..i went with the 160/60 17..waiting on nice weather to break it in,since it`s new.

Comment

Originally posted by KATRIDER98 View Post
        look up 180 tire on katana on youtube..u can run a 180 with no modifications..i went with the 160/60 17..waiting on nice weather to break it in,since it`s new.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yeah you can do 190 too Im sure , go for it , hell maybe a 265 CAR TIRE .....
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

look up 180 tire on katana on youtube..u can run a 180 with no modifications..
            Like everything on youtube is correct????? Just because a few guys with no brains video their stupidity does not validate it. This is total BS.

Comment

Yes, you can shoehorn a 180 tire onto the stock rim. It might even hold air so long as you don't try turning too hard. It's not a good idea, though. That rim is too narrow for a 180 tire to hold its' proper shape an you'll end up with the tread area having to bend more than what it's designed to just to make the sidewalls meet the rim. Added to that is the issue of clearance between the tire and swingarm/chain. You need some space there or else the tire will contact the swingarm and chain as it flexes.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

There are really 3 basic size options for a rear tire on a 98+ Kat. The stock size is 150/70r17. 160/60r17 is an extremely popular option. And, depending on the manufacturer and tire, 170/60r17 is also an option. Some of it will depend on what you are trying to accomplish, outside of replacing your tire. Your rear rim is 4.5" wide. 160/60 is popular because it seems like there are a lot more tires available in that size than the stock 150/70; however, it has a different (shorter) outer diameter than stock so the bike's geometry and handling will be altered some. How much depends on who you talk to, their skill level, and the type of riding they do. 170/60 is much closer in O.D. to stock, but will have slower turn-in due to being wider.

Personally, I have a 170/60 designed for a 4.5" rim on my 03 Kat. It is perfect for me and the riding I do (90% slab commuting). YMMV.

Comment

Michelin, Pirelli, Continental and shinko 170/60-17 are designed for 4.5"-5.5" rim use.

Ive run several different 160 and 170 tires for thousands of miles. I prefer the 170 for the height.
                  the 160/60 is almost 2" shorter then the stock 150/70 so hwy mileage sucks but torque is increased, speedo is also inacurate
                  with the 170 the height is the same as the 150, the shinko Apex 170 measures 168 on the rim at 35psi.This indicates VERY little pinching The Michelin pilot power measures the same on and off the rim. no pinching.

I mounted a BT-003 180/55-17 the tire measured 170. Far too much pinching although the tire was fully seated properly. There is no fear of the tire rolling off the bead however the tire pinched that much rolls the tread around the sides making the contact patch smaller as you lean the bike over instead of larger

I ran the 170 shinko Apex last year at the dragon and surrounding roads. at 28-32 psi the grip from this tire was excelent. handling and braking were also amazing. the bike felt no different then the stock 150.
                  Last edited by hardlydangerous; 03-27-2013, 11:22 PM.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

How to look uninformed 101
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am wanting to change the look of the bike - Not concerned about handling at speeds or cornering. Sounds like 160 is the more practical choice and I do know the difference between can and should. Timberwulf said he was running a 170 that "was designed" for a 4.5 rim". Is there a specific brand or type that is more suited to the smaller rims, or just 170 in general "can" fit but not so much recommended.
                      I've don't understand why they went with such a small tire. The front section and rear tire are the most predominant features on sport bikes. Just my two pennies......

Comment

See post #9

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                          basically 160/60/17 is your best option

michelin pilot road 2
                          michelin pilot road 3
                          continental contiRoadAttack

are good premium sport touring tires
                          +1

I used to run a 160/60/17 on my 06 kat. bike ran well with the michelin pp 2ct. that the BIGGEST you can go without modding anyting
                          Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                          Current Bikes:
                          1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                            ... a 160/60/17 ... that the BIGGEST you can go without modding anyting
                            No it's not. I know Krey (and others) have doubts about the clearance of a 170, but there is clearance. Plenty, including myself, run a 170/60/17 without issue. And again, see post #9. The 170 is closest to the OD of the original 150.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                              No it's not. I know Krey (and others) have doubts about the clearance of a 170, but there is clearance. Plenty, including myself, run a 170/60/17 without issue. And again, see post #9. The 170 is closest to the OD of the original 150.
                              I have no doubts that a 170 on a post 4.5" rim and swingarm setup will fit.

Won't work on a pre though even with a 4.5 rim swap with out further clearance adjustments... perhaps that is why you thought I would have issues.

The bikes are designed to fit any tires desgined for the OEM rims. There are many 170s designed to fit a 4.5" rim.

When you start swapping rims and modding things is when it's nessasary to look further at adjusting other things (swingarm, brake arm, so on...) for additional clearances.

I know of no 180 tire that is designed to fit on anything smaller than a 5.0" rim. A 180 on a 4.5" rim is going to be very distorted and physically pulled in so that it is not wider than 170mm across... so it's really pointless to go over 170 on a 4.5" rim anyways as it won't be wider... just distorted.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X