Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My 2004 600 katana caught on fire and explodes!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2004 600 katana caught on fire and explodes!

Two days ago was the saddest day of my life. I am riding going about 90 mph for about 15 mins. I was in 6 th gear and my revs were only about 6000 rpm. Suddenly, I feel a burning sensation on my leg. I start to slow down and pull over. And when I am off the highway and out of harms way, I look down and behind my left leg, on left hand side of bike, it is on fire. I jump off the bike at this point, after I have came to a complete stop and I try to take my jacket off and put the fire out, however, its too late the fire overcomes my bike and that's all she wrote. I run away at this moment cause my tank is full of gas. Then kaboom. My bike explodes.

The bike had about 8450 miles on it. I had taken it to a Suzuki mechanic about a month ago. They performed the full point inspection, changed the oil and told me my bike was good to go. The fastest I have ever driven the bike is about 110 mph the day before the explosion. I do like to accelerate a lot when I am at the head of traffic in red light situations because I prefer to be passing cars then to being passed in traffic. I feel a lot safer that way. I love the Katana style handling and power however, what assurance is there that the next Katana I get doesn't do the same thing. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Please help? Can I go back to Suzuki for this failure? Was I pushing the 600 passed its limits? Maybe I should upgrade?

I am trying to upload pic of bike with description of approximate location of fire, but web page keeps saying upload failed. I did find a site with a description of a recall for this bike. The link is:
    motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

If someone can send me their email then I can email the photo and perhaps they will have better luck uploading this pic.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've never heard of a bike just catching on fire. Now 2 in like 3 days? You realize if you hold a match to fuel it'll burn right?

Comment

Same bike...Friend posted pic for me.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      I've never heard of a bike just catching on fire. Now 2 in like 3 days? You realize if you hold a match to fuel it'll burn right?
      that not funny fyi..this is pretty serious
      Last edited by offett; 07-04-2012, 01:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

My guess is the fuel dripped onto some old dried wiring under the seat...

Just glad you're all right, now you've got a story to tell your kids later in life.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by offett View Post
          http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...KATANAGONE.jpg

that not funny fyi..this is pretty serious
          Actually, it's kinda funny even if it is serious.

The area you have circled is where the battery sits. I'd wonder if the charging system might have gone bad and sent too much juice into the battery.
          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

that area could be fuel or electrical
            unfortunately unless you have fire coverage your probably SOL

I've never heard of a bike just catching on fire. Now 2 in like 3 days?
            Looks like it could be the same bike BTW
            Last edited by rexazz2; 07-04-2012, 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
              Looks like it could be the same bike BTW

Fuel vapors do ignite, every so often it seems to happen...like SP said in the other one though usually it just melts the wiring not sparking everywhere.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Okay, that would make sense.

Comment

Okay, that would make sense.

Most likely....

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                  and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Anyways... did run acorss this thread from a few years back.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78165 but didn't see a "conclusion" on it.

And recently there was this thread...

and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Basicaly a guy who had a fire in the airbox but it burned out before spreading to large.

There are a multitude of reasons the fire could have started. An investigation should be done to confirm where and how/what started it for sure.

Electrical shorts (battery, fuse box, main harness junction) is at that point.

Airbox is the return for the crank case vent, and will collect fuel/oil in it (thus the drain plug). All it takes is one good back fire and you could be looking at an issue.

Tank drain lines are on regularly left off.... and that could have let fuel drip/drain on the engine or alternator.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hmmm if they just did a inspection,,,,they over looked something

Comment

Originally posted by zukilover View Post
                      Hmmm if they just did a inspection,,,,they over looked something
                      at the time they inspected it every thing was OK
                      A lot can happen in a month
                      If you wanted every inch" inspected" you probably couldnt afford to have it done
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

O nevermind didnt see wereit was done a month before thought it was a couple weeks

Comment

Originally posted by zukilover View Post
                          O nevermind didnt see wereit was done a month before thought it was a couple weeks
                          Doesnt matter if it was yesterday. Unless you pay for them to check over every line, fuse, ect on the bike then it doesnt matter when it was done UNLESS the fire or damage was due to them touching something.

An inspection and oil change shouldn't have effected anything here.

In this instance I would guess as Krey said a vapor line or such most likely showed its age and caused a slight leak of fuel to hit an electrical connection thus causing a fire. Once it climbed into the vapor line game over for the bike...

edit:read other post wrong and misspoke
                          Last edited by soulpatch; 07-05-2012, 02:29 PM.
                          I am a Penn State fanatic.
                          Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            Most likely....

Anyways... did run acorss this thread from a few years back.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78165 but didn't see a "conclusion" on it.

And recently there was this thread...

Basicaly a guy who had a fire in the airbox but it burned out before spreading to large.

There are a multitude of reasons the fire could have started. An investigation should be done to confirm where and how/what started it for sure.

Electrical shorts (battery, fuse box, main harness junction) is at that point.

Airbox is the return for the crank case vent, and will collect fuel/oil in it (thus the drain plug). All it takes is one good back fire and you could be looking at an issue.

Tank drain lines are on regularly left off.... and that could have let fuel drip/drain on the engine or alternator.

Krey

I did have a problem with my idle a couple of days before this happened. She was idling up and down. Do you think that was due to a problem with my valve alignment and/or float needle malfunction?

I have to bring this problem to closure so I don't skip this fatal error for my next bike. Also, I can pass this info to my friends. I may have lived or survived to save someone else...You never know! lol Anyways thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by offett View Post
                              I did have a problem with my idle a couple of days before this happened. She was idling up and down. Do you think that was due to a problem with my valve alignment and/or float needle malfunction?

I have to bring this problem to closure so I don't skip this fatal error for my next bike. Also, I can pass this info to my friends. I may have lived or survived to save someone else...You never know! lol Anyways thanks for your help.
                              Honestly I dont think you will come to a set conclusion since a lot of things have burned off now. You can chalk it up to carb maintenance but one will never know.

What your real take away should be here is that something was amiss with your bike and you did not investigate that at the time but instead continued to not only ride it but ride it hard. You are not in a car. You are on a vehicle with very lttle room for error. Somethign goes amis on it and you best damn sure stop riding it and check it out to make sure it is safe. Had you done this your bike would still be here today as you would have found the likely fuel leak causing the irregular idling.
                              I am a Penn State fanatic.
                              Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Working...
                              X