X

Converting from hydro clutch to cable

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting from hydro clutch to cable

Woking on a bobber with an 86 gsxr 750 motor. It currently has a hydraulic clutch set up, and I'd like to convert to cable. As far as I can tell (haven't really dug too deep, as it's not even in a frame yet) all I need is lever perch, cable, sprocket cover and the pin, is that correct? Can anyone name some bikes and years that would work, to help broaden the list I can scour for?

Thanks
    Brian

1. Why would you want to do that?! I converted my '96 750 Kat from cable to hydraulic because I like the self adjusting hydraulic so much better.

2. If you really want to do this, I'd see if a pre-98 Kat's sprocket cover is a match. It sure looks like it'd fit.
    Last edited by Wild-Bill; 05-10-2012, 05:22 AM.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      1. Why would you want to do that?!
      Better feel at the clutch lever.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by venturesomerite View Post
        Woking on a bobber with an 86 gsxr 750 motor. It currently has a hydraulic clutch set up, and I'd like to convert to cable. As far as I can tell (haven't really dug too deep, as it's not even in a frame yet) all I need is lever perch, cable, sprocket cover and the pin, is that correct? Can anyone name some bikes and years that would work, to help broaden the list I can scour for?

Thanks
        Brian
        Hey Brian,

I am actually looking to go the opposite way, and convert my '88 to a hydraulic clutch instead. Hoping it will be a bit easier for me to pull the lever. If my existing levers will fit your clutch, any interest in swapping parts?

Thanks!
        Christine
        Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

sigpic

Instead of telling someone who rides a motorcycle how dangerous it is -- LOOK TWICE before switching lanes, making turns, or pulling out of a drive way. Stay on your side of the road, especially in corners. Don't FOLLOW too closely; bikes can stop faster than cars can. Keep your eyes on the road and off your cell phones. If you care about someone who rides a motorcycle, please repost

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          Better feel at the clutch lever.
          I guess it must depend on the bike. I think that my hydro clutch on the busa has a smoother (better) feel than my kat with the cable clutch.
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
            I guess it must depend on the bike. I think that my hydro clutch on the busa has a smoother (better) feel than my kat with the cable clutch.
            Its definitely a matter of preference. I can't stand the feel of a hydraulic clutch on a bike...too...numb? I don't know, not saying id kick a bike out of bed for having one.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by cwalmsley View Post
              Hey Brian,

I am actually looking to go the opposite way, and convert my '88 to a hydraulic clutch instead. Hoping it will be a bit easier for me to pull the lever. If my existing levers will fit your clutch, any interest in swapping parts?

Thanks!
              I only have the the sprocket cover, no res, and no line. But I'd be interested in even a partial trade.

One of the biggest reasons for the swap is plain and simple - money. I am adhering to a strict limit of $1500 for the entire running, rolling bike. I don't have a line, or master and the cable is cheaper. This includes everything, from bearing grease to the spray bombs I'll paint it with. Just something I want to do to challenge my self.

Two - Is that I would just simply prefer a cable (although I must admit the only reason I would keep it is the look of two matching masters on the bars)

Three- is that I am using drag bars, and all of the the reservoirs that I can find are either tilted for clip ons, or astronomically priced. I need to find a matching set (brake and clutch) as I don't have either, and do it on the cheap. When I make the switch to cable, there are an ungodly amount of them to choose from.

Comment

I prefer a cable clutch for performance riding.... then again im a dirt rider as well and tend to slip the clutch a lot.
                Its a lot harder to slip a hydro clutch under power to keep the wheel spin under control or when gearing down and controlling tire slipping.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                X