Katana of the Month - May 2008  XMAN75

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
MikeyZ
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottynoface View Post
Stock is already off by 5-10% from the factory...
The way I read it was that it was fine before he got the chain and sprockets installed...

ah who cares? suck it up or get a DRD
MikeyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
steves
Argh
Supporting Member

GPS is not an accurate representation of speed, although it's not common for a stock speedo to be off 10-15%.

Much of the GPS accuracy will reside in how good your receiver is.

GPS works by sampling, or taking readings over time. Most algorithims tend to calculate speed by measureing distance traveled in a straight line. most roads aren't perfectly straight. The other thing to take into account is movment along a Z axis. I don't know any GPS's that account for elevation when doing the speed calculation.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
cintidude04
Kat Legend
Supporting Member

eBay ID: cintidude04

My zumo 660 does steve.
http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
cintidude04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
MikeyZ
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves View Post
GPS is not an accurate representation of speed, although it's not common for a stock speedo to be off 10-15%.

Much of the GPS accuracy will reside in how good your receiver is.

GPS works by sampling, or taking readings over time. Most algorithims tend to calculate speed by measureing distance traveled in a straight line. most roads aren't perfectly straight. The other thing to take into account is movment along a Z axis. I don't know any GPS's that account for elevation when doing the speed calculation.
I would assume one would test with a GPS by going straight down the highway and holding it at a steady number for a few seconds. It would get EXTREMELY close- close enough that nobody would ever notice.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
steves
Argh
Supporting Member

No it's not, and that's not the case.

I don't think I have data handy, but my Garmin allows me to download traveled route data and display it overlayed on a map. At higher speeds, your sample rate becomes smaller because it's more difficult to manage a lock on more than 2 birds.

So, what I've found is that in the overlaid map you'll see a "line" drawn between two points which represents the route, and the line does not follow the path of the road. GIS data for known entities such as highways is very good in almost all the commercially availibile mapping software.

Your interpretation of "good enough" may still be off by 5 or more percent, so it's not an accurate measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cintidude04 View Post
My zumo 660 does steve.
It accounts for elevation change in the route details, but I highly doubt the speed calculation shown realtime does. I'd like to see that claim.

Last edited by steves; 04-05-2012 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
MikeyZ
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves View Post
No it's not, and that's not the case.

I don't think I have data handy, but my Garmin allows me to download traveled route data and display it overlayed on a map. At higher speeds, your sample rate becomes smaller because it's more difficult to manage a lock on more than 2 birds.

So, what I've found is that in the overlaid map you'll see a "line" drawn between two points which represents the route, and the line does not follow the path of the road. GIS data for known entities such as highways is very good in almost all the commercially availibile mapping software.

Your interpretation of "good enough" may still be off by 5 or more percent, so it's not an accurate measure.

It accounts for elevation change in the route details, but I highly doubt the speed calculation shown realtime does. I'd like to see that claim.
So you don't think if you went on x number of different highways and took your bikes speed versus the GPS speed, they would not be accurate?

Im talking on RT 95- Going 70 MPH (bike speed) for 20 or more seconds and looking at the GPS.

If GPS is not accurate, couldn't you say every way has its discrepancies?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
steves
Argh
Supporting Member

Radar is accurate because the hardware and sofware on the device is designed to account for the dopplar shift.

Every was DOES have it's own issues. I'm just arguing against using a generic GPS unit to "calibrate" your actual speed.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
astevens54
Kat Daddy
Supporting Member

Good post guys, I was just thinking about this very topic. So SpeedDRD or Speedhealer is the way to go if you want to correct speedo errors.

astevens54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
il_ragazzo
Kat Master

eBay ID: 94nakedkat

If you want to calculate your speed measure out a fraction of a mile. Hold a constant speed and use a stop watch to get how fast you traveled that fraction of a mile. Ergo your speed: distance over time.

Do this like 100 times, then take the average use that data to calibrate your speeding. It will be so accurate you wont care.
il_ragazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
christianguitarest
Katrider

fist, no there is not already a speed healer or another device equipped on the bike (darn, I like free stuff). Today I rode and tried real gps (not on my iphone) and found that Im only really 4mph off at 75. So I need to go 79ish to go 75. I think that my wife who I followed must have a led foot or misunderstood me when I said go 65 and maybe she went 75 in stead, the world will never no. But as far as I can tell Im off the factory 5%ish. Problem solved? On a side note I topped her out today, 147ish at redline angry engine mode, holy **** my pants batman!
christianguitarest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101