KOTM May 2007 Court93Kat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Welcome to KatRiders.com! > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to KatRiders.com! We're glad you found us!
Please take a minute to introduce yourself and tell us about your bike.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Apex
Skid Mark

Default Hello - New Dude in the PNW

Hi Guys,

Just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I have a 2006 Katana which I rescued from an individual who did not want to take the time or effort to learn to ride. Got it for pocket change, basically I replaced my truck with a bike some time ago, and ride every day, rain, shine or snow. Came from the BMW world, which is also the world of $2000 clutch replacements and 35" seat height . I currently have another Suzuki and three Hondas. Looking to take the Kat touring and to a number of schools and track days. I'll be hitting the obstacle course as soon as I put new sliders on - I try to go once a week. She gets ridden hard, but is loved like no other. I do all of my own work, and don't let mechanics near my bikes.

I am replacing the Braunstein sliders with T-Rexes after having one break in a 3 mph drop while turning around and the other take a hunk out of a cooling fin. Basically stock other than that and a Scorpion can.

I've never ridden an oil cooled engine hard at low speeds before (except for my 550), and am worried about overheating. Have there been any issues with this? I am running regular 10W40 currently. Also, any issues with running 26W blinkers and 2357 brake bulbs vs 21W and 1157? Wiring is crap on my 550 - hopefully Suzuki changed that for the Kat!

Hope to learn a lot here!

Doug

Last edited by Apex; 04-01-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
BlackburnD
Kat Daddy

eBay ID: JeepTech81

Welcome to KR. Clean looking bike you picked up

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool
BlackburnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
KAT TOY
Murphy was an optimist
Supporting Member

Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
torgy
Squid

welcome from Kent. Meet up sometime for a ride!
torgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
KatanaGSX92
Kat Legend

Welcome!
First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles
KatanaGSX92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Scout
KR SWAT Leader

eBay ID: Scout3058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Hi Guys,

Just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I have a 2006 Katana which I rescued from an individual who did not want to take the time or effort to learn to ride. Got it for pocket change, basically I replaced my truck with a bike some time ago, and ride every day, rain, shine or snow. Came from the BMW world, which is also the world of $2000 clutch replacements and 35" seat height . I currently have another Suzuki and three Hondas. Looking to take the Kat touring and to a number of schools and track days. I'll be hitting the obstacle course as soon as I put new sliders on - I try to go once a week. She gets ridden hard, but is loved like no other. I do all of my own work, and don't let mechanics near my bikes.

I am replacing the Braunstein sliders with T-Rexes after having one break in a 3 mph drop while turning around and the other take a hunk out of a cooling fin. Basically stock other than that and a Scorpion can.

I've never ridden an oil cooled engine hard at low speeds before (except for my 550), and am worried about overheating. Have there been any issues with this? I am running regular 10W40 currently. Also, any issues with running 26W blinkers and 2357 brake bulbs vs 21W and 1157? Wiring is crap on my 550 - hopefully Suzuki changed that for the Kat! I've also heard that running MMO in the gas can help - would that jack with the fuel filters or jets?

Hope to learn a lot here!

Doug

Nice looking bike! About your oil...You should be running motorcycle oil. 10W40 (automotive oil) is to thin for your wet clutch set up.You will certainly develop issues with 10W40. I am by no means an expert mechanic (really...ask anyone), but I learned about the automotive oil thing recently. I think you should drain it as much as possible, and run Amsoil, Shell Rotella or some other such NON ENERGY CONSERVING synthetic oil through it. And once you get a hundred (or couple) miles, drain and repeat.

Seriously...ask any of the long timers here. They'll tell ya.

And, welcome aboard! I have family in the Sea/Tac Olympia area. I love the scenery there, hate the rain.

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000

MakeShop Kamiya crew (2013)
Team Paddock Matsuda (2014)

US Marine veteran
Semper Fi
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Apex
Skid Mark

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

Torgy, nice to hear that, we should touch base sometime.

About the oil...I meant regular motorcycle oil ie. non-synthetic Valvoline, Lucas, etc. Looked in the wiki and answered my own questions Love the site.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
nuera
Squid

nuera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Wild-Bill
Kat Legend

eBay ID: justbillv

Welcome. Riding 365 in Tacoma's a pretty ballsy thing. I remember a lot of rain and some pretty significant black ice issues from when I lived there.

Scout's confused about the oil. the important thing is to avoid the "energy conserving" friction additives in automotive oil and stick with oil for wet clutch motorcycles. If that's what you've got then you're fine, synthetic or no. Personally, I don't see that synthetic is really necessary. Can't give too much help on the bulb thing. The wiring isn't great on these bikes. It's just like any other bike--thin and prone to corrosion. A lot of guys go to LED bulbs and a solid-state flasher unit. Nothing else, the LED bulbs last a really long time so you're not replacing them pretty much ever.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
HID Projector Retrofit
Wild-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
stretched600
Kat Champion

eBay ID: mistyndel

Welcome to KR from NC!!! Congrats on your steal
stretched600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Welcome to KatRiders.com! > Introductions