Katana of the Month - July 2007 - FASHER

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Bodyshop

Bodyshop Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
scottynoface
Kat King

eBay ID: scottynoface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoe View Post
double ditto!

well that all depends on how you look at it. you need to weigh your options.
you know....comparing the cost of what you will lose by selling it now, against the cost of modifying it into something you like better, and the loss in value of the bike which will accompany it.

example: you owe $3k for the bike, then spend another $500 or so in making it a fighter, with the end result being a bike you like better, but only worth $2k (if that) because you made it "non stock". so right there, you have already lost $1500.

on the other hand, you owe $3k on the bike, and you sell it for $2300-$2500, you only lose $500-700.

it all boils down to this one question....do you want to lose more money over the long run, or lose less money now?

personally, if it was me, and I wasn't crazy about the bike, I would not spend money on trying to make it into something I "might" like better. I would just cut my losses and move on to another bike that would suit me better. taking a small hit to the wallet now is better than spending even more money into trying to make the bike into something it isn't, and losing even more money.

that's my 2 cents.

There isnt enough money in the world to make a Katana into a GSXR. If you want a light agile bike, you bought the wrong one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfaerie View Post
I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulless kaos View Post
but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.
scottynoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
il_ragazzo
Kat Master

eBay ID: 94nakedkat

^ agreed.
il_ragazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
rogue_statue
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfaerie View Post
If it feels heavy to you, there are 3 words to fix it...

suspension
suspension
suspension

Seriously, I went from a Ninja 250 to a pre 600 and the Kat felt like a big lumbering whale. Where the 250 was "flicky" in curves, the Kat felt like trying to turn a freight train from side to side. I made plans to upgrade the Kat to a GSXR in a few years because it was so ponderous. Then Tim talked me into going ahead and having Tmod do me up a suspension that would lower it to suit me better and a side effect of that was getting a suspension that was set up for me weight and size wise. The difference was night and day. It went from being heavy and difficult to almost intuitive in the handling. It is like riding a different bike.

Most folks around here will tell you the best bang for your buck upgrade is a Factory Pro stage one jetkit, and I'm not going disagree, but in my opinion a very close second is getting a proper suspension. Looks can be changed with time, patience, and money. I promise that the right suspension will make it seem 75 lighter (until you have to pick it up after dropping it).

Essentially this is my problem. As far as fightering it, that's definitely a possibly because I've seen several Kat made fighters (in pics) that I've been really drawn to. I'd most definitely like a fender eliminator kit. And a jet kit as well. It's all in time I suppose. They definitely seem to be an acquired taste type of bike though. However every day that I look at it. It grows more on me. As far as it riding well, that's not the issue. It's a very smooth feeling bike, until you get into those long curving roads. I think I'm going to explore the possibilties within the bike, do my research, and see what I come up with.
rogue_statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
uncltommy77
Knee Dragger
Supporting Member

I wouldn't put a whole lot into unless ur goin to keep it.
uncltommy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #15
Mojoe
I let "things" slide

eBay ID: riven38

personally, I think you should just ride it for this summer and decide if you really want to keep it. so far, it sounds to be like it is an "oh well, I went in debt to buy it, not really sure I like it yet, but I think it is growing on me, so maybe I will just rip off this and add on that to see if I can come up with something I really like", situation......and those kind of situations usually become very expensive.....usually more than the bike is worth.....then you end up like many on here...really stuck with it because you have wayyyy to much invested to be able to sell it.

for the record....been there, done that, and in the end it can leave you with regret.
now, I don't drop a dime in anything unless I already love it the way it is.

Last edited by Mojoe; 03-20-2012 at 11:07 PM..
Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
cintidude04
Kat Legend
Supporting Member

eBay ID: cintidude04
Crazy Shuttle Champion! Balloon Bomber Champion! Bomb Bandits Champion! Yankee Go Home Champion! Basketball Rally Champion! Crash Down Champion! Penguin Bashing Champion! Twelve Swap Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion! Submarine Champion! Billiard Pro Champion!

I never start fightering a bike that I owe money on... That's just a bad idea.
http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
www.lunchtimecigar.com

cintidude04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #17
Mojoe
I let "things" slide

eBay ID: riven38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cintidude04 View Post
I never start fightering a bike that I owe money on... That's just a bad idea.
chances are his insurance will agree with you....and certainly the financial institution holding the lien on the bike will agree. in fact, I just lumped my Xterra in with my boat purchase when I switched everything over from a personal loan to a credit margin, and they asked me about my Xterra.....such as the current value and if it was still worth book value.

in reality, it's not yet his bike to do with as he wishes. that's why you can't sell anything with a lien on it before first paying it off. of course that doesn't stop most people from modifying it as they wish, but if you lose your job and can't make payments, and they have to take it from you....well if it is missing parts and is no longer worth what you owe on it, they can come after you for the rest.

mind you this is an unlikely possibility, but a possibility none the less.
Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
il_ragazzo
Kat Master

eBay ID: 94nakedkat

Agreed^
il_ragazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
rogue_statue
Poser

Oh no no no. I definitely don't have any plans to change a thing until its paid for. I'm just getting ideas because it being paid for is not to far in the future.
rogue_statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Bodyshop