Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Bodyshop

Bodyshop Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
rogue_statue
Poser

Default Slimming the katana down?

Hey guys.

I'm new to forums and new to owning a katana. It's an 05 750. I was wondering if you guys had an ideas/suggestions on how to slim it down a bit. I know it's a sport touring but it just seems to be really bulky. I thought about a street fighter project but I don't know of I want to go that route.

Another question, did they ever come out with katana specific bodywork that's aftermarket?

I feel dumb asking all this. But I'd definitely appreciate the help and tips.
rogue_statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
cintidude04
Kat Legend
Supporting Member

eBay ID: cintidude04

Slimming it down size-wise or weight-wise?
Either way the only real answer is to fighter it and chop off every single unnecessary piece.
http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
cintidude04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
rogue_statue
Poser

I guess a bit of both. I'd just like it to have a slimmer sleeker look if at all possible.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
cintidude04
Kat Legend
Supporting Member

Trade it in for a GSXR?
Lol not saying the kat is a bad bike, but sounds like its not what you were after.
The katanas made before 1998 don't have the bulky looking fairings like the post models do. Maybe you should looking into getting one of them if you still want the sport tourer with a less bulky look, plus the engines in the pre's are better IMO.

Last edited by cintidude04; 03-19-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Old 03-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Badfaerie
Kat Daddy
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cintidude04 View Post
Trade it in for a GSXR?
Lol not saying the kat is a bad bike, but sounds like its not what you were after.

I think post Kats look like overweight Pokemons. I think the pre's are much nicer looking. If you like the bike, but not the look, fighter it. If you don't like the look or the ride, get a different bike.

Badfaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
rogue_statue
Poser

Lol that's the problem. I love the way it rides. I'll probably end up fightering it I suppose.
I'm still paying for it anyhow so my hands are tied until the end of that. Them I might look into trading it depending on the cost to fighter it. The problem would be to find someone to trade :P
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
il_ragazzo
Kat Master

eBay ID: 94nakedkat

The Pre's if modded well can look very slim. The fighters can shed about 50 pounds off the bike. but the heaviest single part of the bike is the frame...second to that is a full tank of gasoline in the metal tank (or maybe one of the engine sections). both of those can be replaced but your not going to have the same bike by then...

The post katanas look all weird and bulbousy to me fully faired, but once again 50 pounds can be removed easily by fightering.

lighter weight battery placed lower on the frame can help the bike feel a lot less top heavy giving the impression of lightness.

for real weight savings read :
http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...emoving+weight

So if really light touring bike is what you want then I would look for an Aluminum framed sport Tourer.

Last edited by il_ragazzo; 03-19-2012 at 09:20 PM..
il_ragazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Badfaerie
Kat Daddy
Supporting Member

If it feels heavy to you, there are 3 words to fix it...

suspension
suspension
suspension

Seriously, I went from a Ninja 250 to a pre 600 and the Kat felt like a big lumbering whale. Where the 250 was "flicky" in curves, the Kat felt like trying to turn a freight train from side to side. I made plans to upgrade the Kat to a GSXR in a few years because it was so ponderous. Then Tim talked me into going ahead and having Tmod do me up a suspension that would lower it to suit me better and a side effect of that was getting a suspension that was set up for me weight and size wise. The difference was night and day. It went from being heavy and difficult to almost intuitive in the handling. It is like riding a different bike.

Most folks around here will tell you the best bang for your buck upgrade is a Factory Pro stage one jetkit, and I'm not going disagree, but in my opinion a very close second is getting a proper suspension. Looks can be changed with time, patience, and money. I promise that the right suspension will make it seem 75 lighter (until you have to pick it up after dropping it).
Badfaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
cintidude04
Kat Legend
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfaerie View Post
I promise that the right suspension will make it seem 75 lighter (until you have to pick it up after dropping it).
Old 03-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Mojoe
I let "things" slide

eBay ID: riven38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cintidude04 View Post
Trade it in for a GSXR?
double ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_statue View Post
Lol that's the problem. I love the way it rides. I'll probably end up fightering it I suppose.
I'm still paying for it anyhow so my hands are tied until the end of that. Them I might look into trading it depending on the cost to fighter it. The problem would be to find someone to trade :P
well that all depends on how you look at it. you need to weigh your options.
you know....comparing the cost of what you will lose by selling it now, against the cost of modifying it into something you like better, and the loss in value of the bike which will accompany it.

example: you owe $3k for the bike, then spend another $500 or so in making it a fighter, with the end result being a bike you like better, but only worth $2k (if that) because you made it "non stock". so right there, you have already lost $1500.

on the other hand, you owe $3k on the bike, and you sell it for $2300-$2500, you only lose $500-700.

it all boils down to this one question....do you want to lose more money over the long run, or lose less money now?

personally, if it was me, and I wasn't crazy about the bike, I would not spend money on trying to make it into something I "might" like better. I would just cut my losses and move on to another bike that would suit me better. taking a small hit to the wallet now is better than spending even more money into trying to make the bike into something it isn't, and losing even more money.

that's my 2 cents.

Last edited by Mojoe; 03-20-2012 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Bodyshop