Katana of the Month - January 2008  Erki

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
rexazz2
Kat Legend

eBay ID: uburocks

Default Lithium iron battery ??

anybody using them yet ?
http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Wild-Bill
Kat Legend

eBay ID: justbillv

Little pricey. They claim they last 5-6 years under normal use but...

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
HID Projector Retrofit
Wild-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
KatanaGSX92
Kat Legend

I spent a day doing research on this battery and the technology a couple of months ago. I definitely want to try it when the busa needs a new one.
First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles
KatanaGSX92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
scottynoface
Kat King

eBay ID: scottynoface

I'm not impressed with the average life of any Li ion battery right now, cell phones power equipment etc...

I'll stick to my Yuasa, going on 9 years on the one in my 636 although it's showing some age with as little as I've been riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfaerie View Post
I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulless kaos View Post
but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.
scottynoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
ygolohcysp
Track Rider

eBay ID: theovergrowngnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottynoface View Post
I'm not impressed with the average life of any Li ion battery right now, cell phones power equipment etc...

I'll stick to my Yuasa, going on 9 years on the one in my 636 although it's showing some age with as little as I've been riding.
He's asking about Lithium Iron, as in Fe. Not Lithium Ion, as in Lithium with an extra electron. I don't much care for Lithium Ion batteries as far as life expectancy either, although, I've found it's entirely due to the charging states of the batteries.

Lithium Iron is a new type of battery out for bikes, and I would assume cars, or they will be shortly. The claims certainly look nice, and I really like the weight savings. I will be getting a Shorai as my next battery for the Kat, but I don't have any experience with them yet.

As for Lithium Ion life expectancy, I did some research on the Prius as a possible company service vehicle for the company I work for. I had heard rumors about how expensive the batteries were, so I wanted to know what the life expectancy/cost would be to factor in for total vehicle cost. I found that no battery packs have ever gone bad on the Prius due to wearing out, only user error, like putting a screw threw one while installing car stereo stuff, things like that. Toyota put a LOT of research into batteries, and as a result, the charging system in that car keeps the batteries I think between 65-75% fully charged. Never more, never less. Something about the constructions makes the batteries die quicker by being fully charged, and discharged. So your cell phone battery could last longer than 2 years if the hardware wasn't programmed to keep it at 100% when you have it plugged in, but that would also reduce the stand-by and talk times that they report when selling the phone.
ygolohcysp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
scottynoface
Kat King

eBay ID: scottynoface

Oops, missed a letter.

Thought it said Li ion, was wondering why someone would even ask about them...

My best friend has a Civic Hybrid, and it's great unless you're roadtripping through the mtns of TN. That battery disappears in a hurry going uphill and you have to drag the brakes to be able to make it up the next hill. Ask me how I know
scottynoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
indianboy7
Katrider
Supporting Member

A couple of the motorcycle shops around here carry them......They are extremely light, and a couple customers at one store were raving about them in their bikes..I'm leaning towards one for myself when my current battery dies.
indianboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
GSXFJim
Kat Master
Supporting Member

eBay ID: Rogerrat

I have two Shorais. one in my '91 750 and one in the wife's '00 sv650... love em.. I'm also a dealer.. I have a battery sitting on my office floor for a member here.. it showed up with a meter reading of 13.35v.. same as the rest that have passed thru my hands..

I've had it almost a year.. no issues at all. The day i installed it, my kat hadn't run in 6 months.. and it had the power to get it started even after i manged to flood it.

Performance wise?.. it will turn the starter faster.. which, with the carb'd kats will help get the engine started quicker.. mine now is 3-4 cranks from cold and its running, hot.. 2 at the most. after long rides if checked the temp of the battery and its a few degrees about ambient temp.

For me , the best part is that there will be NO MORE corrosion at the terminals.. no acid eating up the paint or vapor eating away at the underside of the seat.. no more nasty gunk on the SA and shock.

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
"You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son
GSXFJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
rexazz2
Kat Legend

eBay ID: uburocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXFJim View Post
.. it showed up with a meter reading of 13.35v.. same as the rest that have passed thru my hands..
so this would keep the coil voltage higher
rexazz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
GSXFJim
Kat Master
Supporting Member

eBay ID: Rogerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexazz2 View Post
so this would keep the coil voltage higher
No.. that's dependent on the wiring.

13.35v out of the box means not having to charge the battery before you use it...
GSXFJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101