X

Noob Tire Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Tire Question

How long do your tires usually last? I believe these are the original tires, which would mean they have about 10,500 miles on them (but they have at least 6500 miles on them). I'm not really sure how to tell when they need replacing either, unless they have cracks or are otherwise extremely obviously past due for replacement.

I would like to get Metzler RoadTec Z6 tires, but I don't want to toss these ones if they still have a lot of life left. How different would the Z6 tires feel? How many miles would you guestimate them to last?
    Attached Files

If you want metz I would get a pirelli angel it's $152 in FL not sure what it would be there but there suppose to last twice as long as a met or Michaeline, and the Angel hugs the road very nice and there super sticky for awesome performance! just your preference and how you ride! I would buy a tire depth gauge I think when it hits 3 or something you could replace them I'm not to sure on the replacement of these tiress
    1992 kat 600 Mods, mesh sides dual head lights custom mounted gauges, racing chain, integrated tail light, custom mounted license plate mount. :bunny2

Comment

Check the date code on the sidewall to tell how old your tires are. I copied this from an article that was posted on the web:

"Here’s how you can check the age of your motorcycle tires. Look for an 11 or 12 character serial number on your tire’s sidewall. No, you don’t have to de-code that entire long number, just look at the last four digits (for tires made since the year 2000). Those last four digits tell you the week number and year that the tire was made.

For example, if the number ends with 2103, the tire was made during the 21st week of the year 2003. This code works for tires that were made since the year 2000.

Before the year 2000, only the last 3 digits told you about the date. For example, if the last 3 digits were 508, then that means that the tire was made during the 50th week of year 8 of that decade. Was it 1998, 1988? There may be ways to determine which decade, but why waste time on that? Go get some new and safer motorcycle tires on your bike soon!"
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

I guess the reason I'm asking is because a couple times I've felt like the rear tire started to slide during a hard lean. One time, on dry pavement, my rear tire actually slid and I thought it was going to go out from under me. Perhaps I accelerated a little too hard while in the sharp turn, but still it was quite scary (although kinda fun too, I never want to experience that again). There have also been a few times I've leaned enough to scrape the pegs or my boot without any problems though. The code on the tire seems to indicate they were made in late 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
          I guess the reason I'm asking is because a couple times I've felt like the rear tire started to slide during a hard lean. One time, on dry pavement, my rear tire actually slid and I thought it was going to go out from under me. Perhaps I accelerated a little too hard while in the sharp turn, but still it was quite scary (although kinda fun too, I never want to experience that again). There have also been a few times I've leaned enough to scrape the pegs or my boot without any problems though. The code on the tire seems to indicate they were made in late 2008.
          get rid of those tires asap.
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

They still look fine to me.
            you have some cold tearing on the front so they have not gone hard or anything and dont look cracked.

Harder compound tires last a lot longer. Michelin Pilot active tires last forever but the grip is crap compared to the pilot road or power 2ct.

A softer tire wont last as long but if you ride more agressive a softer compound tire is usually a better suited tire.

FWIW I get about 6000km from my tires. But I tear the **** outta my bike, heavy throttle, knee draggin twisties, and lots of clutching up the front end.
            Normally I run sport tires up front, sport touring tires in the back.

The metz Z6 were a little hard for me and take a lot longer to warm up then I prefer.
            Id put them below my top 5 favorites.

This spring im going to run sport tires front and back. The Conti motions will be taken off and saved for the fall winter riding. Either michelin Pilot power 2ct or Conti sport attack.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Based on what I don't see.....I don't see any wear bars. Sometimes a tire will seem to "slide out" from under you because it's not warmed up enough and getting on the throttle too early. Personally, I wouldn't get rid of them yet.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

can't tell from the pics if the center is flattened. that can cause the strange sensation.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I would trash those tires without a seconds hesitation. That's just me though.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I think its funny half of you say the tires are fine and half say get rid of them ASAP lol. Well motorcycle superstore and revzilla are both having sales on Metzler Z8s, so I'm ordering them. They're newer than the Z6 so they've gotta be better right? They have excellent reviews too though.

Comment

Working...
                    X