X

Katana 600 as a first bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by black&blue View Post
    about the only thing that really makes it dangerous to a beginner is going past about 7k and the fact that it's HEAVY.
    I never said they were dangerous, ....
    The last thing a new rider needs is an R1....
    Sure looks like you did. And why steer the conversation towards an R1 when it is a Kat we are talking about?
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

i can see his point were it may be a little much for a beginner to hit the power band. but tht being said, most people wont hit those rpms when they start out anyways. and being that its soo week, i wouldnt worry about it much. i started on a 750 Kat. no problems. just take a training course and your golden
      if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
        i can see his point were it may be a little much for a beginner to hit the power band. but tht being said, most people wont hit those rpms when they start out anyways. and being that its soo week, i wouldnt worry about it much. i started on a 750 Kat. no problems. just take a training course and your golden
        I can understand it may be too much for certain people. But I caught him in a lie and subsequent attempted change of subject when trying to refer to an R1. Just want to see him ride this out
        Last edited by cintidude04; 04-27-2012, 07:33 PM.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I know that just for riding just a little over 3 weeks my opinion doesnt hold much weight as others, but my 06' Kat600 is my first bike and I'm very pleased with the purchase! Others have posted this, but I really believe that riding with the right attitude goes a long way. I'm in FGATT and I'm taking things SLOW. It is very easy to see how even this bike can get you into trouble, and I respect that and keep that in mind every time I get on my bike. Take a training course, and by all means make sure the bike is comfortable to YOU. Just my little $0.01
          "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
          1 Corinthians 10:31
          sigpic

Comment

Uh Oh... another Ohio River Valleian.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
              Uh Oh... another Ohio River Valleian.
              Yes sir! I like my chili with noodles and cheese!
              "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
              1 Corinthians 10:31
              sigpic

Comment

I didn't ride much before I got the Kat, and generally speaking it's a very civil and easy bike to learn on - about the only thing that really makes it dangerous to a beginner is going past about 7k and the fact that it's HEAVY.

I think the Kat's heaviness may have a lot to do with why I've dropped it when I have.
                since cinti's so interested in my reply to this one, re-reading my exact statement, you can see i'm implying that it isn't a dangerous bike to learn on in general, and for someone not at all used to motorcycles, it can be a bit much - remember, this isn't really about your perspective or mine, it's coing the perspective of a rider with zero experience and how they might perceive it.
                To someone not used to riding, Kats CAN seem pretty fast. The delivery of power is totally unlike that of a car, and the sharp change in character of power delivery can be scary to a new rider- it's just fast enough to be able to surprise you enough to be unsettling. The kat is a good bit more powerful than the commonly accepted "beginner" bikes like the CBR250 and Ninja 250, but the Kat isn't a bad choice as a first bike.

I stand by my statement that the kat is heavy and could prove tricky to manage for a newer rider.
                Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
                Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
                2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Maybe if you had replied last month I would bother reading your response.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

i disagree. i think a 600 kat would be an excellent bike to start on. you have to respect the power that the bike has . remember speed kills but so do bad decisions. i have rode enduro's for years , mostly trail but a lot of hardball to. you have to watch other people . my 05 750 is my first true street bike, and im taking it easy and trying to stay safe . sharpen your skills before you get crazy. be safe out there
                    im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

I agree with Ragti. The Kat is a great beginners bike. it is also a bike that after you learn on you will want to keep for a season or two. I learned how to ride this season on my 06 Kat. I worked my way around the neighborhood but by day 2 I was on the freeway riding 65mph. A few months later, I took the MSF course too(experienced riders) becauseI had to. But then again I am a responsible driver and a quick learner.

i say go for it if its a good deal.

Comment

Probably a bit late, but I will add my thoughts anyway. Bought the 2006 Katana 600 last year and I had ZERO riding experience. I rode a 4 wheeler when I was 12 for about 30 minutes, but I wouldn't consider that experience.

Took my friend who has been riding for years to check out the bike. He said it was a great deal so I jumped on it. Got my learners a few days later and he drove it to a truck driving school that was closed for the day and I followed him in my car.

Once out there he went through the basics again. Spent a few minutes getting used to the clutch, pulling forward a few feet stopping then starting again. Once I had moving forward down we went to turning, using the islands on the edge and the cones in the lot for practice. Whiskey throttled into a cone but didn't drop it, so that taught me really quick to release and not tense up as you would in a car (haven't whiskey throttled it since).

Spent about 10 mins on turning before he told me to open it up straight line but not above 40 in the lot.

After the straight line he ran me through what the DMV would do for the test. Drive forward and lean over to the right after a cone but before the next cone. Cone weaving, 90 degree turn, quick stops using both brakes etc . . . after about 2 hours of him drilling me we took it on a long stretch of road with no traffic. He was in my car and was giving me the feeling of driving close to cars, spent 10 mins on that then drove home on the busiest road in town.

So about 2 1/2 hours of instruction and I was hooked. Main roads are easy, neighbor hoods were where I wanted to work. Turning from a stop, stop signs on hills, coming to a crawl without putting my feet down. I spent about 2 without taking main roads, just making sure I felt comfortable. No lay downs, no drops. I didn't ride with anyone on the back until I went though about 4 months of riding.

I'm 6'4 200 pounds and any other bike would have been insanely tiny for me. I get on his GSX-R now, and I just think "Man this bike is little." Katana had the right size with the right amount of power for me to learn on. Since I'm not trying to race it, I really don't see the point in going up to a bigger size engine with a smaller size body to it. Still thinking about engine swapping this one though.
                        All the world's a stage,
                        And all the men and women merely players;
                        They have their exits and their entrances,
                        And one man in his time plays many parts,
                        His acts being seven ages.

Comment

Working...
                        X