Katana of the Month - October 2007  SEQX34

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki GSXF 650 Talk

Suzuki GSXF 650 Talk A little corner of katriders for the new GSXF 650s.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #41
Mojoe
I let "things" slide

eBay ID: riven38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post
So if I paid $2,100 for my 750, rode it for 5 years, put $400 into repairs, $250 into tires and then sold it for $1,850 when I found a nice 1100, it means...

...I had a lot of fun, right?
that's a decent deal.

how about this one...

bought my 93 katana after my 92 died, for $3k. it was mint. first summer I owned it, an old lady backed into it in the parking lot. $2200 or so in damage. got all the parts off ebay, in mint condition, except for the mirror that I bought new. $500 or so in parts and a day of my time. $1500+ in my pocket....means my bike cost $1500 instead of $3k.

then the next year the towing company drops it twice. another $2k in damages.....and again, because the bike was in such nice shape, they fix it. cost me around another $500....rest in my pocket.

owned the bike 4 years and made my $3k back off of it. all it cost me was maintenance. then I part it out and made around another $1500 off of it.

my last 92 was not so lucky for me, though. paid $3200 for it in mint condition. nice enough to win nicest kat and best in show at 09 rally, but dumped it the same day. it will cost me all of a grand to fix it back up with a nice paintjob. I will have well over $4k in. no choice in fixing it because $3200 is a bit too much to just write off. that bike is far from a "great deal", but hey....everyone has to screw themselves once in a while.

Last edited by Mojoe; 02-27-2012 at 12:51 AM..
Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #42
Mojoe
I let "things" slide

eBay ID: riven38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottynoface View Post
The average biker nowadays keeps a bike for less than 3 years Mike, just an interesting stat.
I don't believe that stat applies to Canadians...at least not Quebecers. the majority of folks I know keep their bikes longer than that. one main reason is that it cost quite a bit to change. not only the extra cash you shell out for something newer, but the damn taxes you have to pay at the dmv. plus like I said before....short riding seasons.

I am sure the "3 yr" things plays a bit of a role here, but probably more with the the younger riders who are just starting out and want to upgrade. older and more experience riders are probably more apt to shop for a bike that they will keep for many years, just because it is more cost efficient to do so. don't forget, our bikes cost quite a bit more than they do in the US. If I could get a bike as cheap as they go for over there, and not have to pay the sales tax we do here, I would probably trade more often myself.
Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #43
LAsunbird86
Kat Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottynoface View Post

I could never sell my 636 because I wouldn't get enough for it to consider letting it go. It can sit in the garage
I'm in the same boat with the kat. I'd be better off getting a corbin seat , an bandit motor and a set of ebay fairings (financially) than buying a new(er) bike.

^Mainly because the only bike I would want is something fuel injected and shaft drive (or a 2002+ vfr).

Last edited by LAsunbird86; 02-27-2012 at 10:18 PM..
LAsunbird86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #44
scottynoface
Kat King

eBay ID: scottynoface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoe View Post
I don't believe that stat applies to Canadians...at least not Quebecers. the majority of folks I know keep their bikes longer than that. one main reason is that it cost quite a bit to change. not only the extra cash you shell out for something newer, but the damn taxes you have to pay at the dmv. plus like I said before....short riding seasons.

I am sure the "3 yr" things plays a bit of a role here, but probably more with the the younger riders who are just starting out and want to upgrade. older and more experience riders are probably more apt to shop for a bike that they will keep for many years, just because it is more cost efficient to do so. don't forget, our bikes cost quite a bit more than they do in the US. If I could get a bike as cheap as they go for over there, and not have to pay the sales tax we do here, I would probably trade more often myself.
The 3 yr figure I quoted is for sportbike riders, so not katanas, not oil cooled, race bikes that are water cooled and fuel injected.

Basically it doesn't apply to old men like you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfaerie View Post
I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulless kaos View Post
but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.
scottynoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #45
boomer_95
Kat Daddy

eBay ID: 613boomer_95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoe View Post
ontario isnt to bad for taxes but for sure the short riding seasons plays in affect. mind you ive rode to work almost everyday this winter. but MOST people put them away around mid fall. i would guess it'd be closer to like 5-6 years here plenty of time to get your moneys worth out of an old bike

parting out my 89 Kat 750
boomer_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #46
arsenic
Captain Metric
Supporting Member

eBay ID: arsenic1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
I'm in the same boat with the kat. I'd be better off getting a corbin seat , an bandit motor and a set of ebay fairings (financially) than buying a new(er) bike.

^Mainly because the only bike I would want is something fuel injected and shaft drive (or a 2002+ vfr).
People actually want that? I thought that was something they did because they can.

A dealer of rebuilt Katana carbs.
Partly Chris's Motorcycles
A rebuilt set of carburetors will cost more than $5 dollars
DREAM Katana

arsenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #47
DClark
Kat Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsunbird86 View Post

Drove 400 miles to Eureka, CA on my kat 1100, then same trip on C14 the following year.
On the Kat, when I got to the motel, I put the bike on the stand, searched a soft bag for a can of chain lube,spun the rear tire and sprayed chain lube on the chain.
On the C14, wow, shaft drive! I merely put the helmet in the trunk and walked to brew pub to get my reward of 4 pints of ale.
It is the little things that help you appreciate a modern bike.
DClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #48
boomer_95
Kat Daddy

eBay ID: 613boomer_95

Quote:
Originally Posted by DClark View Post
On the C14, wow, shaft drive! I merely put the helmet in the trunk and walked to brew pub to get my reward of 4 pints of ale.
It is the little things that help you appreciate a modern bike.
i can agree with you that they are much better in terms of no real after ride maintenance but they do certainly have enough drawbacks for me not to get one.

1) reduce power to the wheel because of the 90 degree gearing
2) most shaft drives I've rode (4-wheelers) lift the arse when you accelerate, were a chain drive squats (ride a honda rubicon and you'll know what i mean!)
3) pain in the arse to change the rear tire
4) if anything ever breaks they can be EXPENSIVE!

i'll stick to a bit of chain lube after a long ride IMHO
boomer_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #49
scottynoface
Kat King

eBay ID: scottynoface

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer_95 View Post
i'll stick to a bit of chain lube after a long ride IMHO
Yezzir.
scottynoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links