Modifying the Fairings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying the Fairings

Hey All,

I've got a 95 Katana and I'm thinking about modifying the fairings.
    The bike was dropped but the PO provided a new left side fairing. The left tail fairing is about 85% prepped for paint but the the belly pans are fairly beat up. I was thinking about cutting the bottom 2/3 of the side fairings off, keeping from the top vent in under the wind screen, following the contour of the side fairing to just below where the side and tail meet and attach to each other, then gut the lower portion of the tail off as well.

It will keep *most* of the attachement points for stability, but will show the bottom 1/3 of the airbox.

I know it may be blasphemy to chop fairly decent plastic up like that, but I don't dig the fully faired look, and I hate that gap between the tank and frame. This seems like a reasonable compromise.

Has anyone see any mods like this and can point me to some pictures? If I can see what it looks like before cutting it down, I would be more comfortable with the whole idea...

After this I can start thinking color...

Thanks!
    EJ

I believe we have a few examples of what you are planning, some turned out real nice.
    Will see if I can find some on here

Found these, I am sure there are more examples

Last edited by yngveny; 01-05-2012, 06:05 AM.
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Id sell the nice one and buy a crap piece to use, those fairings are pretty rare in good shape.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have an entire fairing set off an 06 I will sell for 100 dollars plus shipping if you don't want to destroy a nice new set. The set I have is nice but has a few scratches. Perfect for what your doing. Lmk
        "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
        "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

Thanks yngveny!
          When I did a quick search I came up empty handed. Those are great example of what I'm shooting for. I do plan on keeping the front of the fairing, like the white one, but keep it tied in to the side still. I like the naked look, but having a wind screen is more comfortable for me.

scottynoface, Drinknthink, I'd be happy to swap plastics with someone, but I'm way over budget on this project as it is and I'm trying to keep the price low where I can. Another $100 + shipping when I've got usable plastic here isn't worth it. I'll put out a message for anyone in my area though and if you hear of anything, let me know.

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it!

Comment

I have some beater farings that I would be willing to trade.
            I need some better fairings. Mine have been repaired a few times by the PO. They might not be what you are looking for.
            If anyone has a good left upper fairing for a 93 drop me a line.
            --- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
            --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

Originally posted by ChandlerW View Post
              I have some beater farings that I would be willing to trade.
              I need some better fairings. Mine have been repaired a few times by the PO. They might not be what you are looking for.
              If anyone has a good left upper fairing for a 93 drop me a line.

How much is shipping gonna run?
              Its all about the $ for me...

Comment

the primered one is awesome

Comment

What I ended up with:

So, unfortunately no one near me had any plastics to swap so I just cut what I had. Here is what I ended up with. I was trying hard to use natural curves and keep as many mounting points as possible, while not looking hoonish... Tryin'

Comments?

Comment

Not bad, reminds me a bit of the SV.
                    Guess you are planning to repaint?
                    It will flow much better with the decals removed.
                    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
                      Not bad, reminds me a bit of the SV.
                      Guess you are planning to repaint?
                      It will flow much better with the decals removed.
                      Naw,I thought I just leave it as is. Black is so last year

Now that you mention it, it is a bit SVish and yea I plan to strip the decals and repaint for sure!

Comment

Hey guys, I have a few questions. I have the chance to buy a 95 katana 600. What I want to know is, how wind resistant are the fairings on these bikes? I ride over a 3 mile bridge that crosses a very large bay. It gets quite windy. And are the fairings on a newer kat any better? Will they fit on a 95? Thanks.

Comment

Wind resistant? What do you mean by that?

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                            Wind resistant? What do you mean by that?
                            I guess I meant to say redirection instead of resistance. I'm a smaller guy( 5'6 145lbs) and I ride a cruiser. The wind feels like its pushing me off the bike. How well do the fairings keep the wind/cold off of you?

Comment

Originally posted by Billyhanak View Post
                              I guess I meant to say redirection instead of resistance. I'm a smaller guy( 5'6 145lbs) and I ride a cruiser. The wind feels like its pushing me off the bike. How well do the fairings keep the wind/cold off of you?
                              Kats are a fairly heavy bike and definitely offer more "shelter" than a cruiser in a headwind....especially if you tuck in behind the screen. If you experience gusts from your left or right.... just loosen off your grip and don't tense up.
                              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                              ------------------------------------------
                              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X