Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

Bike gradually lost power and died while riding, starts again after 3 minutes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike gradually lost power and died while riding, starts again after 3 minutes?

I have a 93 katana 600, all stock, 23k. I was riding today going about 60-65 and all of a sudden the bike started to feel a little boggy and i gradually began losing power for a minute or so until the bike just died completely. There was no motor knocking or strange noises. If I try to start the bike again immediately it wont start but will start if I leave it sit about 3 minutes or so. I can ride it for a minute or two until it gets boggy and the same problem happens again. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you so much!

I had a similar Problem check your grounding wire!

Comment

sounds more like starving for fuel, to me. you know...like you run your float bowls empty and it took 3 minutes to fill them back up again. this could be because of a few problems, but could be as simple as something restricting your gas flow...like crud in your fuel line.
      and if it did it again...well I am almost convinced you are starving for gas.

I have seen something similar before and it was as simple as the petcock not being completely in the "on" position. it works like a ball valve. close is closed...on is on....in between the two is half on/half off....which means you will get fuel to the crabs but just not at full flow rate. so do the simple thing first and check that it is fully in the one position.
      Last edited by Mojoe; 08-21-2011, 09:25 PM.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

starved for fuel or too much fuel? being too rich fouls plugs, then gets flooded?
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
          starved for fuel or too much fuel? being too rich fouls plugs, then gets flooded?
          possible, I guess.....but never seen an engine flood so much that it will stall, then start up again in 3 minutes. usually if it floods enough to stall it, it is really flooded....and cranking on it more makes it even more flooded. and if it ran fine before...well, just can't see it all of a sudden getting that rich in one instant. if the plugs are so fouled that it will stall the bike, I can't see them clearing themselves up in 3 minutes and starting again. maybe possible, I guess, but it isn't my first guess.

but that is just my theory on it.

but hey....could be just like Knight said...a wiring grounding out somewhere. but that wouldn't be my first guess either. I am sticking with starvation for fuel. not claiming to be right....just my guess. well..it's not a guess really. I am just going by something that happened to me once. I ran my 1100 flat out wide open on the hwy once, and then it just died out on me like that. basically, my fuel line couldn't supply enough gas to my carbs while running that speed for a distance, and I sucked the bowls dry. I let it sit for a bit, and it started right back up. :
          Last edited by Mojoe; 08-22-2011, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Fuel issue... petock faulty, vacuum line has a hole, fuel line kinked/clogged up, fuel filter installed is clogged/not high enough flow, fuel system is not vented causing a build up of pressure.... etc...

Those are the first things I would check.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Fuel issue... petock faulty, vacuum line has a hole, fuel line kinked/clogged up, fuel filter installed is clogged/not high enough flow, fuel system is not vented causing a build up of pressure.... etc...

Krey
              ..so, you think it might be fuel related?
              2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Thanks alot for all your advice guys, I'm going to drain my tank, maybe recoat it then install a new fuel pump and lines and see if that changes anything. If you have any more ideas that would be great. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by eddiegajdosik View Post
                  Thanks alot for all your advice guys, I'm going to drain my tank, maybe recoat it then install a new fuel pump and lines and see if that changes anything. If you have any more ideas that would be great. Thanks again

You don't have a fuel pump. Fuel is gravity fed from the tank. This is the reason all the possible issues I listed can play such a prominent part in effecting the fuel flow.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

oops *I meant to say fuel filter. sorry for my newbness!

Comment

Originally posted by eddiegajdosik View Post
                      oops *I meant to say fuel filter. sorry for my newbness!
                      If you have a fuel filter on a 93 600, that is your problem. Remove the filter. 88-97 Kats are not designed for fuel filters.
                      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

I think it's more that... Aftermarket filters are not designed to be used with the katana.

I'd bet a properly mounted and located post OEM kat filters would work on a pre... if you put it in the right spot and not up near the tank like most people do.

The problem with most of the aftermarket filters is they simple do not flow enough fuel to keep up with the kats needs.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

The OEM filter from 98+ is just a strainer, not a filter as I recall.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            The problem with most of the aftermarket filters is they simple do not flow enough fuel to keep up with the kats needs.

Krey
                            well, sort of, I guess. I think it's just more along the lines that people don't pay attention to what they are buying when they do buy a fuel filter. I am sure if they took the time to look for a hi-flow filter, they would be just fine.

my bro would have the right suggestion. he runs an extra filter on his skidoo...one that also collects moisture. and his skidoo probably sucks more fuel than a kat does. but if memory serves me right, it is a bit big. not huge, but probably not easy to hide on a kat.

Comment

Alright guys heres the deal. The bike only had .3 gallons left in it when it was dying out. I put the petcock on reserve just to try to drive it and see if there was a difference from ON. I drove it about 8 miles and it rode like normal, I went and filled it up, switched it back to ON and rode another 8ish miles without problems. Then just for the hell of it I ran some seafoam thru it to clean it out and went another 10 miles, bike rode even better. Should I trust the bike or do you guys think I still have a problem? thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X