Katana of the Month - June 2007 - UPSMAN

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #41
ZkatFL96
Rookie

eBay ID: Zski9071

Having idle/lack of power issues while driving after filling up my tank last night for the first time since i got this bike. It actually was pretty scary today for me riding. I was driving and it started to lose power even while i was increasing the throttle, i thought maybe im in to high of a gear as i was only doing about 35mph. I down shift and at that point it had completely died out and caused the rear tire to lock up which lead to me fish tailing and nearly going down. I know it had to be the new gas because it happened last night as well right after the fill up but i just clutched it and rolled to a stop, let the bike sit for a few minutes rode it home and that was that.

My idle was perfect before, i mean as perfect as i've ever had anything idle. Now i cant even get the freaking thing to stay on without holding the throttle. I am going to mess around with it tomorrow when i've got daylight and won't annoy the neighborhood with my loud exhaust.

I have been down once before and after today i am kind of scared. I feel like i could have been seriously hurt if that had happened on the turnpike. I want to ride so bad and im going to continue to keep doing so on a daily basis but this just blows. I feel like ive just bought a rodeo bull for a second vehicle, i just hope that i dont catch a horn.
ZkatFL96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #42
katanarider
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post

It's certainly possible that the vehicles can run 100% ethanol that are designed for it.

It's been mentioned serveral times in this thread about "brazil" and the ability of cars there to run on it... and they do, and have for the last 30 years. With vehichles DESIGNED to do that.

US cars were not.

US vehicles thus have issues using the ethanol.... except the few that have recently been made specifically as "flex fuel" vehicles, or have had after market conversions added.

I don't know of a flex fuel US sold motorcycle at this time... some one got a link?

Krey

Where Katanas offer in Brazil that were designed to run off of Ethanol ?
If so, what are the differences ? I was just wondering if this will lead us here in the U.S.A searching for Brazilian parts to counter the effects.

Also Krey, I'm thinking since your in the mountains that your having bigger issues than alot of us. I know when it rains here my bike runs like crap. As you said, the Ethanol seems to be attracting the moisture.
Are you still running the California carbs? Could that be another factor?

Heres the link to a American built Ethanol bike. I'm surprised you didn't know about this one. I thought all bikers watched American Chopper on Discovery channel

http://www.ocamericanchopper.com/Iow...0Bike%201.html

Last edited by katanarider; 11-04-2010 at 01:07 PM..
katanarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #43
Bart
Katrider

eBay ID: dude_illin_gent

BUMP!!!

This subject is almost wothy of sticky status IMHO. I've been developing problems with mine, just like this. Except that I have zero mechanical skills and haven't yet dared do anything more complicated than an oil change. Messing with carbs will only be done either (A) if someone walks me through it, or (B) the Kat fully breaks, collects dust for a while and I have nothing else to lose.

The problems started Oct 29 '10 (I remember the date b/c I was en route to a halloween party), was coming to a stop and WHAM-WHAM-WHAM sounded like I had a fist-sized wooden block bouncing in the fairings between my knees. After that I've had a slowly increasing problem with startups, throttle hesitation and general roughness esp idle/low speeds. Yes I can still hit triple digits plus, but the power's draining.

Am I doing the bike a small favor by riding constantly (never ever sits more than one week at most) to help keep stuff from goo-ing up? Any more results regarding products/ideas to help this?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #44
KAT TOY
Murphy was an optimist
Supporting Member

Stabil Marine is a fuel additive for E10 in carbed engines. got mine at walmart.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #45
scottynoface
Kat King

eBay ID: scottynoface

Stabil marine is always in my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfaerie View Post
I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulless kaos View Post
but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.
scottynoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #46
DClark
Kat Daddy

I have seen a "new" product called Stabil ethanol (I think it said 'e10', don't remember) that appears to be Stabil Marine in a different package, might be worth trying if it is cheaper than Stabil Marine.
I have been using Starton which is the same price as Stabil, but includes a neat little booklet explaining how it has enzymes in it that do miraculous things for your fuel and motor (sarcasim intended).
I will say that my bike has been running pretty darn good since I have started using these products (including a couple of ounces of Berryman's with each tank).It has warmed up to 36 degrees today, I'll take her out to do some errands.
DClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #47
loudnlow7484
Kat Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
The problems started Oct 29 '10 (I remember the date b/c I was en route to a halloween party), was coming to a stop and WHAM-WHAM-WHAM sounded like I had a fist-sized wooden block bouncing in the fairings between my knees.
And you're blaming your gas for this? That sounds a bit more serious than gummy carbs.
Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.
loudnlow7484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #48
Bart
Katrider

eBay ID: dude_illin_gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
And you're blaming your gas for this? That sounds a bit more serious than gummy carbs.
Thx for noticing. I've posted this same situation here and on another forum, and seems everyone's stumped. Really thought I'd totalled the bike then, but had no choice but to continue riding. She made it to where I was going, then back, then... OK I'm an addict, the Kat's my drug of choice and I've just kept using.

I didn't know what to think. Since then every "problem" seemed to point to either a bad air filter, fuel filter or a carb problem. Heard about the ethanol issue on a site for Houston riders. Re-checked it here and it seems to fit to a T. Combine the hydroscopic (sp.?) qualities with our very high humidity and the roller-coaster temperatures we've been having and carb.'ed bikes are dropping out of commission left and right around here.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #49
kevin2502000
Kat Legend

eBay ID: kevin2502000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Thx for noticing. I've posted this same situation here and on another forum, and seems everyone's stumped. Really thought I'd totalled the bike then, but had no choice but to continue riding. She made it to where I was going, then back, then... OK I'm an addict, the Kat's my drug of choice and I've just kept using.

I didn't know what to think. Since then every "problem" seemed to point to either a bad air filter, fuel filter or a carb problem. Heard about the ethanol issue on a site for Houston riders. Re-checked it here and it seems to fit to a T. Combine the hydroscopic (sp.?) qualities with our very high humidity and the roller-coaster temperatures we've been having and carb.'ed bikes are dropping out of commission left and right around here.
Could b missing back-firing, that can sound like bangs when it does fire.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #50
DClark
Kat Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2502000 View Post
Could b missing back-firing, that can sound like bangs when it does fire.
My bike would pop real loud when the pilots were e10 clogging. One more thing about ethanol:
We all know out bikes came from the factory set to run real lean, ethanol really pushes it. I live at 5,000 alt. I used to use jets a step leaner than what was recomended for bikes at sea level because hey, I live at high alt. Well, my bike now needs those sea level spec'd jets at my 5000' alt to run best. If e15 becomes the main fuel available here, I'll have to find some even bigger mains to run right. I still have yet to see something close to my best of 44mpg (I get 38-39mpg).
DClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101