KOTM May 2009 DreKat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
DClark
Kat Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post
Seafoam will NOT make it worse. Your talking about 2 completely different beasts.

Obviously since seafoam is only 10-15 ISP, and you only add 1 oz of seafoam to 1 gallon of E85, which is 85% Ethanol.... well... that math is pretty simple. It's like putting out a fire with a thimble... Nope, not gonna work for that.

Thus the reason for the original posting... Seafoam doesn't make it worse, but it's becoming appearant that the newer increased amounts of Ethanol in the fuels is over riding the preventative properties of Seafoam....

Krey
The E10 clogs up the pilots so that the bike starts to run lean. Any alcohol added will aggravate this situation. Yes, it can be argued that the amount of alcohol being added is not much, but any alcohol added is a step in the wrong direction. I can easily picture a frustrated owner putting in an extra dose of Seafoam and getting more pops out of the motor. My motor was running so lean that I could see some damage occuring to it if left unchecked.
I drained my tank this morning and filled it up with water, then dumped it out. Currently, it is out in the backyard where hopefully, a day spent outside with 95+ degrees will dry it out.I'll whip out the carb spray, fill up the fuel hoses, before connecting the tank. Tank will get new premium fuel filled with a double of startron and I'll see how it goes.
DClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
rexazz2
Kat Legend

eBay ID: uburocks

Do you southern guys ever see Gas line De/icer?
Since the fuel bowls are a PIA to drain ,the first sign of poor performance I throw a whole bottle into a tank of fuel
Its like a $1 for a bottle and most gas stations here even have it on the shelf in summer
It is probably mostly IPA but with some addatives because there is a carb or FI version
Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #23
Kreylyn
Kat King
Supporting Member

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DClark View Post
The E10 clogs up the pilots so that the bike starts to run lean. Any alcohol added will aggravate this situation. Yes, it can be argued that the amount of alcohol being added is not much, but any alcohol added is a step in the wrong direction. I can easily picture a frustrated owner putting in an extra dose of Seafoam and getting more pops out of the motor. My motor was running so lean that I could see some damage occuring to it if left unchecked.
I drained my tank this morning and filled it up with water, then dumped it out. Currently, it is out in the backyard where hopefully, a day spent outside with 95+ degrees will dry it out.I'll whip out the carb spray, fill up the fuel hoses, before connecting the tank. Tank will get new premium fuel filled with a double of startron and I'll see how it goes.
I get your point, but you still trying to lump together 2 completely different issues to support "it's all bad" statement.

Ethanol isn't a problem for me because it runs a little bit leaner, or has less energy per volume so the MPG decreases some. I ride a motorcycle (high MPG comparatively) for fun/hobby (discretional spending, and certainly no different for me than say spending an extra $1.00 for cheese on a burger...). If all Ethanol did was decrease the MPG, and make it run a little leaner... I'd adjust my A/F screws a 1/4 turn and smile and go on....

Ethanol is causing the gas to go bad (engine won't run on it) and not just leaning out jets... actually clogging them up. Stopping the fuel from flowing at all. No engine running = no riding at all.

Additives to help prevent that may also lean things out. Again, adjust the A/F screws, maybe shim a needle... not a big deal if that is what needs to be done. If I wasn't buying more gas, I'd be paying more per gallon anyways... they are gonna get their money somehow.

My problem is a fuel additive (ethanol) is causing the fuel to stop flowing in the carbs at all... not that additives can lean things out. Seafoam wont' cause things to clog. Ethanol does.

Again... I agree any additive will lean things out... but that isn't that big of a deal.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #24
BareKat
Kat Daddy
Supporting Member

eBay ID: KR Member since 2005

Hey Kreylyn, you could always try this tool to check your fuel... google Daansen Fuel Tester

2005 750 Kat Custom bar risers w/Bikemaster Daytona bars, A'ME Heated Grips, Givi PL533, Givi E36NJ, Chopped shovel, modded windscreen with chopped Lockhart Phillips Euro Speed Screen, CyberPoet's mirror extenders, FP 5 Degree Advancer, Ballistic 12 Cell EVO2 battery, Fumoto F-111
BareKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #25
DClark
Kat Daddy

I just got back from a ride...
I drained tank, rinsed it with water, let it dry in the yard, refilled with fresh premium gas (bought today) and added 1 oz of startron (good heavy dose).
The idle was hanging and the bike popped a little. Great- things are clogged!
I took it on the freeway and got a couple of pops, maybe two while cruising.
Top end didn't feel good at all, maybe there is some clogging elsewhere in my carbs.
Pulled into a parking lot, idle is better now. Bike is good and hot, been riding for ten minutes, idle doesn't hang like it used to.
I am thinking that there is still some goo in the carbs, but that it might be melting off under the onslaught of fresh, non-goo gas. With regular e10 gas, I envision many little blobs of goo, like snorkeling in Cozumel when I saw lots of itty bitty jelly fish. One may not clog up the jets, but get a bunch of them and clog they will.
I will take it for a good ride tomorrow and if it is still soft on top, I'll pop the carbs off and look at the pilots and the emulsion tubes. If the pilots are clogged, it is from the before I use the startron. If I clean them and they clog again, then this stuff is no doing the job. But I am optimistic.
Also, Walmart also sells the marine Stabil which states that it is good for E10 gas.

Last edited by DClark; 07-10-2010 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: t
Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #26
4banger
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexazz2 View Post
http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...hlight=ethanol

Somebody told me that all fuel has to have 10% ethanol in Canada regardless of octane grade
Local mechanic at Honda dealer says they see tons of small engine stuff with fuel issues
Shell V-Power contains NO ethanol, midgrade has 5%, regular has 10%, at least in Ontario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareKat View Post
Hey Kreylyn, you could always try this tool to check your fuel... google Daansen Fuel Tester
This tool you mention is $5!!! Does it really work, I mean it's so damn cheap. *edit* I just ordered one. $13 with shipping from sky geek.

Last edited by 4banger; 07-12-2010 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #27
DClark
Kat Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger View Post
Shell V-Power contains NO ethanol, midgrade has 5%, regular has 10%, at least in Ontario.
That's there, this is here. People get brand loyal to a station, not knowing that the same gas is being sold at the quickie mart down the block for $.20 less a gallon.
I saw a delivery truck pull away from the Chevron station and I followed it. It stopped to unload more fuel at a nasty looking generic gas station.
Why does the Chevron stuff cost more when it is the same stuff? Because they have to pay for the advertising budget somehow. Like I have said before, in my area, all gas is made by Tosco/Chevron/BP.At the tank yard, they blend it with ethanol (there is a large tank marked "Ethanol" that's visable from the freeway) In your neck of the woods, it can/will be different.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #28
4banger
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DClark View Post
That's there, this is here. People get brand loyal to a station, not knowing that the same gas is being sold at the quickie mart down the block for $.20 less a gallon.
I saw a delivery truck pull away from the Chevron station and I followed it. It stopped to unload more fuel at a nasty looking generic gas station.
Why does the Chevron stuff cost more when it is the same stuff? Because they have to pay for the advertising budget somehow. Like I have said before, in my area, all gas is made by Tosco/Chevron/BP.At the tank yard, they blend it with ethanol (there is a large tank marked "Ethanol" that's visable from the freeway) In your neck of the woods, it can/will be different.
The person I responded to (rexazz2) lives in Canada, so my post is relevant.
4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #29
bob393
Kat Champion

eBay ID: bob393

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
I've been trying different brands of gas this season and I'm having reasonable good luck with Gulf gas around here, still 10% methanol but the bike appears to be running better than it did on Mobil, Hess, or Quick Check gas. I've wanted to try Sunoco but haven't yet. I too would like to know if the higher octanes have no methanol in the blend. I think they do around here.
Just an update:
I now use Shell high test exclusively. Defiantly runs the best on it!
They call it "Shell V Power" some kind of nitrogen enriched formula
or something but it works for me!

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
3BBB turn signal mirrors,
Black painted seat and rear trim,
Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #30
jbgarretson
Poser

Does anyone know why Its E85 and not E100?

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101