X

New to the forum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum

I bought a kat last march its a 1990 600. I'm still working out a few bugs. I joined the site shortly after that and have learned so much from just reading and using that handy search function. However this is my first post. Once I came across the streetfighter section I fell in love with the look and these bikes IMO look so much better as a streetfighter plus I really get the chance to make it mine and one of a kind, more or less.

I attached a pic of when I first bought her to the point shes at now.

I'm always looking for more ideas and suggestions as I'm sure I'll have questions in the future as I continue to change the bike.

Like if anyone has found a good combination to make the Filter pods work for this these bikes? Cause I've read a lot about them not working so well but I see quite a few guys that run them... wondering if there is any kind of magic combination?

Sooner or later I'll be looking more into performance and handling options such as rear shock, front forks, and brakes.

Its a long term build and time is my friend. I'm 20 minutes from a bone yard and parts are pretty much endless.

Thanks in advance for any info, advice or comment.

Nick
    Attached Files

was there somehing wrong with the bike, or did you just decide to convert it for the hell of it?
    ROLL TIDE!

Comment

if you have good fairings i'm sure you could sell them quickly.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

The bike had been laid down before I bought it and the plastics had been repaired then to make matters worse I dropped it in the driveway and right where they had repaired it (with what looks like J.B. weld) all broke out so the left side is kinda rough but could still probably be fixed easy enough. The tail section may or may not make it back onto the bike. As for now the plastics all sit in my garage. But selling them as is may not be a bad idea.

I have had to do a bit of work on the bike. Cleaning and rebuilding the carbs, replacing the head and a lot of electrical work before I actually got it running somewhat clean after taking the plastics off over and over and over I realized that its a pain to work on it in addition to looking at it more and more I just liked the rough naked look to it.

None of my vehicles look or perform the way they did from factory. I'm one of those guys where good enough can't be left alone.

On another note... I just ordered a Hayabusa rear shock and am piecing together the Busa front end as I can afford it.

Comment

I am running filter pods. Trick is to have a good flowing exhaust, a stage 3 jet kit, and some time to sit down and figure your a/f ratio and you should be just fine with pods.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thank you, have you had any problems through any RPM range? I have the yoshi set up on it now. The can was cut back 6.5 inches to get rid of the gouges. My goal isn't to achieve a HP gain but more the look of them since its completely exposed with out the fairings.

Do you think that would flow enough or should I look into a different system?

Comment

No, but I am running a gixxer 1100 engine. We did increase the main jets a bit, I can't remember what size, but you can buy the mains, 2 for like $6 bucks through DennisKirk.com, so for all 4 it was like 13 bucks, thing is you gota know what size you need to be running. In doing so, you just wouldn't have adjustable needles, but you can always get some small washers to adjust the height i have heard. But this is a lot cheaper than dropping like $130 bucks on a kit.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks again for the advice SweetLou I'll have to look into that more and see what I can figure out. I still have the 600 motor in it. I'm not going nuts trying to get more power out of it. When I reach the point where the power just isn't good enough for me then I'll be looking into the 1100 swap. For now I'm more interested in the handling aspects and trying to get it to look the way I want it. Minnesota doesn't give riders a very long season so I'm trying to save bigger projects for the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                  Thanks again for the advice SweetLou I'll have to look into that more and see what I can figure out. I still have the 600 motor in it. I'm not going nuts trying to get more power out of it. When I reach the point where the power just isn't good enough for me then I'll be looking into the 1100 swap. For now I'm more interested in the handling aspects and trying to get it to look the way I want it. Minnesota doesn't give riders a very long season so I'm trying to save bigger projects for the winter.

True that, you should check out the MN section, there is a bike show coming up next month that one of the members here started. Few of us will prolly be attending.

And if you ever need any help, give a hollar!
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

The rear busa shock came in yesterday. Easy swap, bolts right in and boy it feels so much better. It puts the bike up between 1 or 2 inches. Next I'm piecing the busa front end together I hope that goes in as well as the rear shock went in. Let me know what you guys think.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou View Post
                      True that, you should check out the MN section, there is a bike show coming up next month that one of the members here started. Few of us will prolly be attending.

And if you ever need any help, give a hollar!
                      LOL Theirs a MN section? I honestly didn't realize that n thank you for informing me. I'll have to check that out. A local Kat show might be kinda cool. I'd love to meet people in the area and check out what other people have done with this bike. And thanks again man I appreciate the help!

Comment

I like the Naked look with the busa shock. I have the same shock in mine. I had to mount the battery box backwards so it had an angle, but other then that. Your right it made the bike a whole lot better. Beside the fact that I am around 300 pounds I think that it make the steering alot more responsive. I really like the bike so far, keep it going!
                        My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
                        Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                          LOL Theirs a MN section? I honestly didn't realize that n thank you for informing me. I'll have to check that out. A local Kat show might be kinda cool. I'd love to meet people in the area and check out what other people have done with this bike. And thanks again man I appreciate the help!

The bike show is for all bikes, and was actually started by a member here by the name of DumbLuck, great guy. If ya need any help with anything, shoot me a PM. I may be getting pretty busy though coming up with the nurses strike and all, sounds like we will be getting some OT
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Long time since my last post here, and picture are worth more than words so here ya go.

Just kicking an idea around here.

Well get more to these guys later...

A lot has happened between when I first decided to fighter it up till the point I'm at now. I fitted a k3, I believe, gsxr tail on there for a while I may still use that, not sure yet, pretty much making this up as I go... Hope to hear some good input/criticism from the katrider guys. Thanks!!

Comment

That's certainly a long way from stock! Looks good so far.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X