X

Comfort, Kat vs Gixxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfort, Kat vs Gixxer

Anybody ride a gsxr and find it comfortable for a trip 100 miles or more? I've seen photos of people touring with supersport bikes and it make me wonder. I'm not thinking of trading the Kat though.

I am comfortable on my 05 GSX-R750 for up to around 650-750 miles/day, much more than that and it starts to lose the fun aspect of riding. I have gone 1100 miles in less than 24 hours twice on it, while on an 8621 mile cross country trip last Oct/Nov. Not sure if the newer GSX-R's would be as comfortable as the 04/05 model though. I also use a big tank bag to lean against taking weight off my wrists, and have a factory gel seat which made a huge improvement over the stock seat.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

Well, depends on your size and stuff, but I have rode a '10 ZX-6R and that wasn't comfortable from the get go. I am 5'10" - 200lbs, not too fat, but a bit of a ponch.

I have rode a '08 Gixxer 1K and it was pretty good with the rearsets adjusted all the way down. I could ride it a couple hours but nothing compares with riding a Kat for comfort and even then, I want to do a set of Speigler bars and get a little more upright riding position.

Hope that helps...

Comment

no way....my kat is the only sport bike i have ever ridden that is somewhat comfortable for more then a couple hours of riding
        sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
          Well, depends on your size and stuff, but I have rode a '10 ZX-6R and that wasn't comfortable from the get go. I am 5'10" - 200lbs, not too fat, but a bit of a ponch.

I have rode a '08 Gixxer 1K and it was pretty good with the rearsets adjusted all the way down. I could ride it a couple hours but nothing compares with riding a Kat for comfort and even then, I want to do a set of Speigler bars and get a little more upright riding position.

Hope that helps...
          I don't know, I know I am able to put in more miles on the GSX-R than on my pre Kat 600 (still staying within 5-10mph of the posted speed limits). Part of it is the gel seat on the GSX-R compared to the stock pre 600 seat, but I think the main thing is with the much better suspension on the GSX-R, my body doesn't get fatigued as quickly from being beat up by every bump in the road. I'm 6' and go back and forth between 165 and 185 lbs.
          Last edited by Psycho1; 06-05-2010, 10:19 PM.
          John,
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
            I don't know, I know I am able to put in moe miles on the GSX-R than on my pre Kat 600 (still staying within 5-10mph of the posted speed limits). Part of it is the gel seat on the GSX-R compared to the stock pre 600 seat, but I think the main thing is with the much better suspension on the GSX-R, my body doesn't get fatigued as quickly from being beat up by every bump in the road. I'm 6' and go back and forth between 165 and 185 lbs.

the better suspension does help...but for me being 6'3'' 250 lbs...sport bikes in general are just a bit uncomfortable with large body types
            sigpic2006 KAT 750

Comment

Originally posted by ct3 View Post
              no way....my kat is the only sport bike i have ever ridden that is somewhat comfortable for more then a couple hours of riding
              Try it for 19 hours straight sometime and let us know how you feel in the morning. yeah I can see how being 6'3 something like a GSX-R might be a little too cramped for you, a Busa, ZX-12, or a ZX14 would probably be a more natural fit.
              Last edited by Psycho1; 06-05-2010, 10:22 PM.
              John,
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                Try it for 19 hours straight sometime and let us know how you feel in the morning. yeah I can see how being 6'3 something like a GSX-R might be a little too cramped for you, a Busa, ZX-12, or a ZX14 would probably be a more natural fit.

lol...yeah i've rode a zx14 before and it was "roomier" but still not the best, but such is the life for a baby huey!!!
                sigpic2006 KAT 750

Comment

I just had to wonder because my kat makes my neck ache a bit after 40-50 miles and my hands hurt also ( need good larger diameter grips) Did 80 miles in one ride and my behind started to ache too. I sat on an R1 once and I nearly had to be helped off due to the riding position. Sat on a new '00 Harley Superglide and it felt like it was made for me. ( I was going to sell the kat and buy the superglide back then) BTW: I'm 6' 158 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by MeowKat View Post
                    I just had to wonder because my kat makes my neck ache a bit after 40-50 miles and my hands hurt also ( need good larger diameter grips) Did 80 miles in one ride and my behind started to ache too. I sat on an R1 once and I nearly had to be helped off due to the riding position. Sat on a new '00 Harley Superglide and it felt like it was made for me. ( I was going to sell the kat and buy the superglide back then) BTW: I'm 6' 158 lbs

Hands hurting, and neck hurting are clear signs of over gripping/tensing up on the bike. You back won't hurt if you do not arch it (roll your hips forward a tad like your pushing your belly button towards the tank. It's also called sitting up straight... )

If your tense, and tight when riding... no bike is going to "relieve" that.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Hands hurting, and neck hurting are clear signs of over gripping/tensing up on the bike. You back won't hurt if you do not arch it (roll your hips forward a tad like your pushing your belly button towards the tank. It's also called sitting up straight... )

If your tense, and tight when riding... no bike is going to "relieve" that.

Krey
                      +1
                      On any lean forward kind of bike, the gorilla grip of death on the bars will wear you out in no time...

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
                        +1
                        On any lean forward kind of bike, the gorilla grip of death on the bars will wear you out in no time...
                        Heck just supporting your weight on your arms will kill them.
                        Add the grip of death and your toast!
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                        Black painted seat and rear trim,
                        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by MeowKat View Post
                          I just had to wonder because my kat makes my neck ache a bit after 40-50 miles
                          I've noticed with myself that my neck becomes sore quicker in the colder winter season then it does in the warmer periods of the year. The conclusion I've drawn is it because of my leather jacket, specifically the rigid collar of leather as opposed to the softer, more pliable summer fabric jacket I use. My neck muscles are fighting against the rigid leather collar.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

A lot of it could do with conditioning too. The more often you takw those long rides, the stronger your neck, and the rest of your muscles used when riding will get stronger and used to it, then the pain will slowly dissapear (provided there isn't some sort of physical medical condition that's causing it). I notice in the spring, after my bikes have all been parked for the winter months, my first few long rides of the season are a little more uncomfortable than normal, but after 2 or 3 long rides (300-400mile days), everything is back to normal again and I'm fine.
                            John,
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the insight. Actually, I know my hands hurt because of the diameter of the grips. I have large hands and it feels like I'm holding onto bicycle bars after a while. I would like to get larger foam grips. I'm not tense on the bike really, and I think the neck ache is just due to leaning forward a bit. I think Spraque is probably right that it could be due to conditioning of the neck muscles.

Comment

Working...
                              X