Katana of the Month - May 2008 – XMAN75

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
cablerum
Chicken Strip

Default Slip-on Exhaust

Hi, I have a 98 Kat 750, still has the stock exhaust. I was thinking of adding an aftermarket slip-on. Just wondering 2 things. First, I would rather not have to do anything with the jets or carbs & second, is there a preferred brand or model for 750 kats to give the best sound or performance? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
cablerum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Nero
Look at my C-l-e-a-v-a-g-e!

eBay ID: Stix0816

You won't need to do anything with a slip-on exhaust. You just put them on and go. Nothing else is required.

The preferred brand is the one that sounds best to you at the right price. For my former Kat, a Good 'ol D&D was the best because I liked loud and cheap, just the way I like my women!

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
LAsunbird86
Kat Champion

Theres a yoshi RS3 for sale on the forum for $150.00. Great sound, not super loud and you'd be getting a GREAT deal on a yosh system.

LAsunbird86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
krunchkat99
Tank Slapper

I love my D&D but my first Kat had a Hindle and that was really good as well.
krunchkat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #5
akarob
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
You won't need to do anything with a slip-on exhaust. You just put them on and go. Nothing else is required.

The preferred brand is the one that sounds best to you at the right price. For my former Kat, a Good 'ol D&D was the best because I liked loud and cheap, just the way I like my women!

How does one have 22,000 posts and still reply with complete bull**** advice? This is just wrong.

Everytime you change the airflow either into or out of your engine, your fuel needs change as well. He'll need bigger jets for sure. As a matter of fact, I'd be surprised if the bike ran well at all after the change. It would be running dangerously lean and he'd risk damage to his engine.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
doblerj14
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
How does one have 22,000 posts and still reply with complete bull**** advice? This is just wrong.

Everytime you change the airflow either into or out of your engine, your fuel needs change as well. He'll need bigger jets for sure. As a matter of fact, I'd be surprised if the bike ran well at all after the change. It would be running dangerously lean and he'd risk damage to his engine.
From my understanding the most restrictive part of the Kat’s exhaust is not the muffler and mid pipe but the header tubes. I can speak from expericane that you can put a slip on on and not adjust the carbs from factory at all. A lot of people will adjust the A/F mix screw but that is it for a slip on.
doblerj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Free Coffee
Kat Master

eBay ID: Breedurh8

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post

Neg. There are plenty of Kats here with slipons that perform just fine without rejetting..

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
-Travis of the Cosmos

Last edited by Free Coffee; 05-14-2010 at 08:54 AM..
Free Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
GregS
Track Rider

Kids, kids, stop the bickering. Actually some of the "street legal" mufflers are even more restrictive than the stock part. Thus "need" no jetting. You could benefit from a jet kit but that could be said of a totally stock Kat.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
akarob
Tank Slapper

Yea, your right (I suppose). Although, I have no idea why anyone would purchase an aftermarket exhaust if it didn't provide more air flow. The stock dual pipes are a pretty sweet seamless design. I suppose it's possible someone could put on an aftermarket system with the exact same air flow as stock.

So, to clarify, if you purchase an exhaust that increases (or decreases) flow through the engine, you need to rejet.

Last edited by akarob; 05-14-2010 at 08:54 AM..
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
bob393
Kat Champion

eBay ID: bob393

WOW, sounds like it's up to you! Slip on for better sound and looks, re-jet for more power and drive-ability. Or both for the best of both worlds!

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
3BBB turn signal mirrors,
Black painted seat and rear trim,
Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101