X

Overfilled the oil by two quarts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overfilled the oil by two quarts

I was draining my oil yesterday at an awkward angle, and apparently I overfilled/underdrained the bike by about two quarts. I rode around for 20 minutes yesterday, but today the problems started.

The bike wouldn't start, and the battery ran down very quickly from my ignition attempts. I figured out the problem after about an hour of igniting/chargng/then igniting again. I drained out all the excess oil (about two quarts) and it is at a perfect level now when upright. The problem is, the bike won't start.

I have done a bit of searching on the problem, and apparently the air filter is the place I should check because it may be flooded. Does this sound correct? Any other advice? What have I done to my engine?

Let it sit and come back to it later, maybe you just flooded it.

Comment

Engine-wise, I think you'll be ok. If anything, you may have fouled your plugs with all the attempts at starting. Change the plugs, make sure your battery is fully charged, and you should be fine. LOL..... I did the same thing once.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

if the over fill of oil had done anything you should have seen
        Blue smoke from exhaust IMO

I would check the air filter to make sure it did not get soaked with oil , that could cause the engine to flood
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Usually when you overfill with oil, the oil will overflow the valve seals and leak into the cylendars. Did you notice any smoke when you where riding? You probably will need to replace the sparkplugs and check your air filter.

Just my two cents.

Comment

I checked the air filter. It appeared to be fine except a few teaspoons of oil had seeped into the plastic housing from the cylinders. There was no smoke when I rode it the other day.

It seems every time I try to start it, the bike gets a bit closer to starting up. Tomorrow is the day, I'm sure.

I ordered some new NGK Cr9EKs, but I did not inspect the old plugs. The next week's weather here is in the mid-30's so I'm in no rush to get any work done.

Thanks to everyone for not reaffirming my doomsday fears.

Cheers.

Comment

are you using the choke ??
              Make sure the battery is charged up with new plugs

the little bit of oil in the housing is "normal"

Comment

ive accidently over filled my bike a couple times, it just burned it off... but ive nvr over filled it by 2 quarts lol
                "When in doubt, throttle out."
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by safariplanet View Post
                  I ordered some new NGK Cr9EKs
                  Just an FYI, Advance Auto Parts carries these plugs (at least here in TN), but are NGK4548 in their computer system. If you look at the box when you get them it does say Cr9EK right on them, as well as on the plug. Not sure why they go by a different number. Current price (on their website) is $5.99
                  "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shipster View Post
                    Just an FYI, Advance Auto Parts carries these plugs (at least here in TN), but are NGK4548 in their computer system. If you look at the box when you get them it does say Cr9EK right on them, as well as on the plug. Not sure why they go by a different number. Current price (on their website) is $5.99

4548 is the stocking #
                    makes it a PIA ,because most can not just cross reference any more
                    Usually they now have to look up application

Comment

Working...
                    X