X

i t-boned a SUV today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i t-boned a SUV today

nothing real special, probably the same story as 99% of crashes with a SUV. basically i was on a 30 mph road. i was going threw an S curve, they wernt real sharp put still impaired my line of sight. as i pass threw the 2nd curve i see an SUV approaching a stop sign, he started slowing down and i cover my breaks as i always do when i see someone approach a stop sign. then my worst nightmare came true. he ran the stop sign, only doing a california stop. i knew when he started moving how it was going to end. i grabbed as much break as i could and instantly felt my tires start sliding. i started turning my front wheel to stop from going over, but finally was stopped by his rear driverside tire. i remember a horrible sound then feeling my helmet hit the ground. i always told my self if i went down i would stay down, but that didnt even run through my mind. i instantly popped up to see the driver exiting his vehicle. the first words out of my mouth were "dude, please tell you have insurance" lol. i had the fire dept. check me out just to be sure. my shoulder kind of is bothering me, my knee kind of hurts too along with a few other places. plus right now i can tell im going to wake up with one hell of a headache. and just as always the reason he ran the stop sign was "i didnt see you".

i remember the exact moment i realized i was going to hit him, i wasnt scared or thinking about how i was gonna come out, all i felt was hope. hope that some how i was going to make it out with the rubber side down. are you wondering how his SUV made it out? well let me tell you! he had a 1-2 inch scratch on his rim. i didnt even puncture his tire. i dont really remember much other then right before i hit him, the noise, and then popping up. i dont remember how i landed, although i know it was on my back. i dont remember if i slide although i think i did just a bit. and im not really sure how i didnt get thrown into his nissan. the bike (a 06 yamaha yzf600r) is probably going to be totaled. the forks got smashed back, and because my tire was turned it it got pushed probably past where it should be allowed to turn. i couldnt move my bike out of the road cause i couldnt turn my wheel back. and when the tow truck came it had to dragged up onto the bed. i couldnt watch, i had to walk away. i called my insurance company and there gonna get in touch with his insurance but i dont really know what is to come so any REAL advice is appreciated, and any comments along the lines of "i would have killed him" are always welcome o yea, and the guy didnt have a license. i think he genuinely didnt know but still. i heard the cop say it was suspended for failure to comply...whatever that means. and one more thing 20 minutes before the accident i had just gotten my M endorsmetn...so yay! lol. i dont have any pics cause my phone is worthless and i didnt have my camera. also the clutch is slipping on my car so i was going to turn the bike into my primary means of transportation since i got my endorsement. you think i could get a loaner car?
    Last edited by delkampg; 11-15-2009, 03:47 PM.
    99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
    06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
    06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
    lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

That sux.............
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Dude, thank god ur ok.

Comment

Guess what? your lucky to be here telling us about this. the rest of that stuff is replacable. Be glad your were wearing your gear and noticed the bonehead making his move. We got insurance, He is totally legally at fault for this if he did not have a license since, even if he didn't know it was suspended" He shouldn't have been on the road.

Insurance co's have different rules depending on the state. Here in RI if you get into an accident driving on a suspended, you are the sole person responsible for all damages and injuries. As for the bonehead in the SUV, if I was able to pop up after the crash, I would have cleaned his clocktower, then laid back down as the police arrived.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
          Guess what? your lucky to be here telling us about this. the rest of that stuff is replacable. Be glad your were wearing your gear and noticed the bonehead making his move. We got insurance, He is totally legally at fault for this if he did not have a license since, even if he didn't know it was suspended" He shouldn't have been on the road.

Insurance co's have different rules depending on the state. Here in RI if you get into an accident driving on a suspended, you are the sole person responsible for all damages and injuries. As for the bonehead in the SUV, if I was able to pop up after the crash, I would have cleaned his clocktower, then laid back down as the police arrived.
          im very lucky, i dont doubt the helmet saved my life or at the very least saved my function to do everyday activities. i felt the impact threw my helmet, i dont like to think about how it would have felt with out one. congratulations on being smoke free, i quit 4 months ago but still have one every few weeks, its a real challenge

Comment

What is an endomestn or however it is spelt? That is just all ****ty I'd be so choked. The dragging made me cringe no joke. That's f***ed.

And editing this bit in probably makes my character look bad but I'm glad u didn't get f***ed up.
            Last edited by Islandsteve; 11-13-2009, 12:07 AM. Reason: Ipd
            For sale thread Album
            1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
              What is an endomestn or however it is spelt? That is just all ****ty I'd be so choked. The dragging made me cringe no joke. That's f***ed.

And editing this bit in probably makes my character look bad but I'm glad u didn't get f***ed up.
              motorcycle endorsment, it basically a motorcycle license. here you can get a permit valid for 6 months (which i had) but eventually you have to get get your motorcycle license called a motorcycle endorsement. the dragging was probably the worst part. it reminded me of when you see someone go through something so painful you can almost feel it yourself.

Comment

I used to be a claims adjuster and I remember and accident where a guy on a Honda Hurricane 1000 t-boned a CRX.
                The CRX had the sunroof open and driver didn't have her belt on. She was thrown out through the roof, died.
                The driver of the hurricane flew over, had nice suit and helmet, was ok.
                We insured the CRX. Bummer...
                My point here is that people are always saying that bikes are two wheeled death, but if you wear the appropriate garb, you can do ok.

Comment

Bro, I'm glad you're okay.

Like others said, the fact that you walked away is a win in this situation. Everything else can be replaced. If you have rental on your coverage, you can probably get one, but probably only for a limited time.

Also, don't forget to replace your helmet now that it's been smacked.
                  Project "I wear my sunglasses at night" is complete: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103420

Comment

Originally posted by uno View Post
                    Bro, I'm glad you're okay.

Like others said, the fact that you walked away is a win in this situation. Everything else can be replaced. If you have rental on your coverage, you can probably get one, but probably only for a limited time.

Also, don't forget to replace your helmet now that it's been smacked.
                    i agree im lucky as ****! im sure insurance will buy me a new helmet (that i was gonna get in 2 weeks when it came off back order anyways )

Comment

A few thoughts on this.

1) Rest and take it easy for a couple of days. Call in sick to work regardless of whether you think you need to or not. If you don't remember the impact there's a good chance you took a decent blow to the head, in spite of the helmet. Minor concussions often occur and go undetected as a result of head trauma.

2) Talk to your insurance company and find out what you're entitled to. Review your policy as well...time to read the fine print; well past time actually. In most cases the insurance company will start a claim for you and then go after the responsible party on your behalf. Find out if your insurance offers compensation for missed work, the limits of the medical costs, a daily allowance for a rental vehicle, etc. Also ask if they will raise your premiums under any circumstances.

3) Get checked out by a doctor for any pains or abnormalities, and follow through with this. Since the other guy is probably uninsured as well as unlicensed the insurance company will probably try to talk you out of this.

13 years ago I was at work and a 1200 lb sign fell on me from 7 feet. It bounced off my mid left thigh, causing the leg to swell substantially. No bones were broken. This was at work so it was covered by workmans comp, but I didn't push for an MRI or anything special to understand the extent of the damage. I've been able to hack squat 550 in recent years (about half my max when I was 15), but it does act up in the cold, which makes snowboarding painful after about 45 minutes. I wish I had followed through with the doctor, rather than not going back. C'est la vie, a 31 years old version is a touch wiser than the 18 year old me.
                      Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

MAn oh MAn
                        glad your OK. bummer tho. Its great your in one piece but make sure on the fall you didnt get a concussion.

Comment

Glad you are Ok. You did the right move by getting in the brake mode as a precaution as a rule and I do the same. After wiping out 2 times on my Banshee and breaking a few things in the last year, I know that scary feeling before impact. Im ok...you are too !
                          sigpic

Comment

amazing how momentum works huh? That bike stops and you just keep going. Glad your ok. BigFish has got a good bead on this. First things first, get looked after by your Dr. Let him tell you what kinda condition your actually in. Your insurance company will do most of the leg work for ya providing their any good. and the rental car is gonna depend on the type of coverages that the two of you have. Best of luck on your recovery for both you and the bike! I coulda been far worse.
                            Joker
                            The newest addition to the Family!
                            sigpic
                            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFish View Post
                              A few thoughts on this.

1) Rest and take it easy for a couple of days. Call in sick to work regardless of whether you think you need to or not. If you don't remember the impact there's a good chance you took a decent blow to the head, in spite of the helmet. Minor concussions often occur and go undetected as a result of head trauma.

2) Talk to your insurance company and find out what you're entitled to. Review your policy as well...time to read the fine print; well past time actually. In most cases the insurance company will start a claim for you and then go after the responsible party on your behalf. Find out if your insurance offers compensation for missed work, the limits of the medical costs, a daily allowance for a rental vehicle, etc. Also ask if they will raise your premiums under any circumstances.

3) Get checked out by a doctor for any pains or abnormalities, and follow through with this. Since the other guy is probably uninsured as well as unlicensed the insurance company will probably try to talk you out of this.

13 years ago I was at work and a 1200 lb sign fell on me from 7 feet. It bounced off my mid left thigh, causing the leg to swell substantially. No bones were broken. This was at work so it was covered by workmans comp, but I didn't push for an MRI or anything special to understand the extent of the damage. I've been able to hack squat 550 in recent years (about half my max when I was 15), but it does act up in the cold, which makes snowboarding painful after about 45 minutes. I wish I had followed through with the doctor, rather than not going back. C'est la vie, a 31 years old version is a touch wiser than the 18 year old me.
                              im kinda sure that his insurance is valid because in AZ if a vehicles insurance is canceled the insurance company alerts the state, then the state cancels the registration. i plan on calling my insurance company first thing tomorrow to see what coverage ive got. also someone is suppose to call me tomorrow and im hoping they will be able to confirm his insurance is valid. quite a few people have told me to see a doctor to make sure. so ill most likely do that (plus it wouldnt hurt to get this rash looked at on my pen...j/k) if i cant get to the doc tomorrow or he doesnt confirm im ok ill probably call into work, but i dont work til sat. so ill be able to have a decent idea of what going on with me. my job is really physical and already beats me up pretty good so im not gonna mess around with it.

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                              amazing how momentum works huh?
                              i know, i dont get why Einstein invented momentum. what an a-hole
                              Last edited by delkampg; 11-13-2009, 03:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X