Meanstrk - December 2005 Katana of the Month

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk > Vintage Kats

Vintage Kats Only for Kats made PRIOR to 1988. Pics, Sightings, General Information, Questions;
if it has to do with vintage katana's you'll find it here.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
ukilme
Katrider

Default Which motor GSXR750 or 1100 or GS1100ES?

Well, I am gathering parts for my build. The bike is a 82 Kat 750.

The GS1000 race engine fell through. Not a big deal.

I have an opportunity for the following motors. A working 91 GSXR750 motor with everything to make it run which is the carbs, harness exhaust etc for $700 was pulled in the spring to make a 7/11. There is also a complete 90 GSXR1100 runs but second and third gearing is gone (not a big deal) for $1000 and lastly is a GS1100ES motor with harness, CDI and such. It was just pulled this past Thursday but is running fine. No oil burning, compression is fine and gearing is okay.

Which one you guys go for? I know the GS may be the easy motor to put in. What are the disadvantages or pros for either engine?

The 750 is low on my scale but would like you input. The GSXR 1000, I know I can pick my parts a sell what I do not need or want.

Yes I am picking brains here>

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by ukilme; 10-25-2009 at 01:51 PM..
ukilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Greg B
Squid

That's a no brainer. GS1100ES.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
bubba600
Katrider

I, personally, would go for the 750.
bubba600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
suzukiray
Tank Slapper

eBay ID: suzukiray

The 1100ES motor is by FAR the strongest, most bullet proof, & capable of producing the most power. On top of all that, it's a bolt in! The GS motor is a no brainer for me. Ray.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Waltari

+1 on the 1100es (yes, coming from the guy with the B12 in his)
Old 10-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
tone
Kat Daddy

it depends on what you want it for so purely from a mechanical point of view & disregarding the cost .....

If you want an engine to tune the crap out of at the risk of making it unreliable or finicky for road use or to use purely on the strip buy the es engine

If you want similar power from a stock engine or mildly tune it & keep it reliable for the road buy the gsxr11 & sort the gearbox

if you want a reasonably quick but less torquey engine to put some miles on buy the gsxr750

If you have any questions on fitting the R engines to your frame & the pitfalls feel free to pm me

cheers tone
Old 10-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Waltari

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone View Post
it depends on what you want it for so purely from a mechanical point of view & disregarding the cost .....

If you want an engine to tune the crap out of at the risk of making it unreliable or finicky for road use or to use purely on the strip buy the es engine

If you want similar power from a stock engine or mildly tune it & keep it reliable for the road buy the gsxr11 & sort the gearbox

if you want a reasonably quick but less torquey engine to put some miles on buy the gsxr750

If you have any questions on fitting the R engines to your frame & the pitfalls feel free to pm me

cheers tone

You know to hit me up as well in regards to the oil cooled motor info.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
suzukiray
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone View Post

cheers tone
Where do you come up with this crap?!!! The GS engine is WAAAYYYY more reliable than the GSXR & a LOT less high strung when modified! I build 1400 cc GS motors that are DAILY DRIVERS & have absolutely NO leaks, glitches, or issues with drivability whatsoever! There is NO way you made the above statement from EXPERIENCE because it simply is not true. Either that or you don't know how to build GS motors. I've been building them for over 30 years now & know for a FACT the GS engines are the strongest, most reliable, most durable, & highest torque producing you can build for a sreet bike! PERIOD! Ray.
suzukiray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
ukilme
Katrider

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Suzukiray, you did not disappoint me. I knew your would say the GS. When I first started riding, it was either the Gpz or the GS bikes you buy because they were the dependable motors and hard to blow up.

Tone and Waltari thanks for your offer's and if I go that path I will pick your brains.

Waltari, you did surprise me with your vote.

Well, I will get to see all the motors on Wednesday. They are all owned by the same guy-well, the GS is his father's. I still don't know how much for the GS motor as of yet.

Decisions, decisions......
ukilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
suzukiray
Tank Slapper

Is the rest of the ES there or only the motor? Ray.
suzukiray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk > Vintage Kats