X

No headlights, only my highbeams are working

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No headlights, only my highbeams are working

I am new to riding, and I recently bought a 2000 suzuki katana 600. About a week ago my headlight quit Working but my highbeams still work.
    Has anyone had this problem, or does anyone know how to fix this?

Check your bulb first. Its the simplest way to figure out if its bad. Our bulbs have 2 filaments. The Low beam filament could be burned out, and the high beam will still work. change out the bulb and see if that helps. You can get the bulb from autozone for like 10.99 Let us know if the problem persists.
    Captain of Squad 11

Comment

This happened to me about three weeks ago.

I can almost guarantee that a pin in your plug behind the third eye is burned out. You will have to clip the wire on each end of the plug and butt splice it together.

However, there are a few things you should check first, just in case.

1) Fuse. Make sure the fuse isn't burned out. Use a voltmeter to check continuity through the fuse to ensure that it still functions.

2) Lamps. Make sure the lamps in your Kat aren't burned out. If so, you just need to replace the bulb.

If these aren't the problem... I'm pretty sure it's the plug.

This is a pic of the third eye hanging there to expose the plug in question:

Here's a pic of the burnt plug:

And finally a pic of the plug bypassed and the wires spliced:
      Last edited by Fullmetal; 10-15-2009, 11:51 PM. Reason: Picture Errors
      Nuff said.

Comment

Wow what do you suppose caused that?
        Joker
        The newest addition to the Family!
        sigpic
        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Poor or dirty connections, contaminates in the connections, or other similiar issues that cause a connection to be a heat point.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fullmetal View Post
            I can almost guarantee that a pin in your plug behind the third eye is burned out. You will have to clip the wire on each end of the plug and butt splice it together.
            That's an all too familiar procedure.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Sometimes the connections in the left control pod get dirty or corroded as well.

I would start by taking the left pad apart, and spraying it out with electronics cleaner.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I think I have the same problem with my Sv. Only low beams work, it's not the bulbs or fuses. It's the yellow wire that connects to high beam. I'm sure I can trace it to a burnt connector.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fullmetal View Post
                  This happened to me about three weeks ago.

However, there are a few things you should check first, just in case.

1) Fuse. Make sure the fuse isn't burned out. Use a voltmeter to check continuity through the fuse to ensure that it still functions.

2) Lamps. Make sure the lamps in your Kat aren't burned out. If so, you just need to replace the bulb.

If these aren't the problem... I'm pretty sure it's the plug.

This is a pic of the third eye hanging there to expose the plug in question:

Here's a pic of the burnt plug:

And finally a pic of the plug bypassed and the wires spliced:
                  And this can also be attributed to some goof using a "Higher then stock" voltage bulb at one point. Kats were designed at a price point market. Meaning they afforded a lot where it counts, but skimped where they could. The wiring harness is a prime example. The guage wire used for the headlight system afforded the 55w/60, but if someone tossed a higher wattage in, it would definately start heating things up and cause connectors which are weaker then solid wire to overheat.
                  Last edited by Newbie2it; 10-17-2009, 02:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                  Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I just checked the connector and there is a couple of them that are burnt, so I'm going to try it out .Appreciate all of the advice

Comment

No problem at all. Good luck with the fix. Let us know when you get it working right again.
                      Nuff said.

Comment

Sorry to zombie a post, but this fixed my problem. Didn't want the thread to die and wanted to say thank you to Fullmetal. =)
                        sigpic
                        "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
                        "Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite

Comment

I took mine to the shop the other day an my low beams went out as i was going. I did the most fool thing an asked him if he could fix it. Just guess what he said? Awe i'll have to keep it for about a week an trace back the wire. *Yeah right buddy* If could just put it in the shop an just leave it i wouldn't have never got it. But since seeing the photo im going out here an check it out i bet that's what it is cause they just flicker sometime then come back on but now nothing.
                          Freddieboy

Comment

Man I am erked at Suzuki for using cheapo wires. Ive had and fixed this problem 4 times now. I'm just going to order the $80 easternbeaver wore kit next time.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just checked mine out an that connector that's in the picture was burnt pretty good. By-passed it an now the lights work fine. The guy that usually works on my bike told me he would have to keep my bike for a few days just to fix i an then charge me $40. Fixed in less than 15 minutes. I wonder why i would have taken him so long to fix?
                              Freddieboy

Comment

Working...
                              X