X

Sprocket and chain horror show!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket and chain horror show!

Well, I finally got around to taking my wheel, sprockets, chain, and swing arm off tonight, and got some good pictures of how bad they were. A number of causes were discussed in the previous thread, and it looks like misalignment may have had a significant role.

Rear sprocket:

Front sprocket:

The rear sprocket was worn more on one side than the other. Metal on one side had folded over more and the corner on that side was worn down more:

By comparison, the other side of the sprocket was relatively square:

In addition, the o-rings on the chain were missing and damaged on one side of the chain, whereas the other side of the chain's o-rings were intact. Some rollers are damaged and missing as well:

Closeup of a couple damaged o-rings:

So... gonna spend extra time aligning the rear wheel!

sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
    k9 GSX-R 600
    GO VOLS!

Comment

I dunno.... looks good ta me! Actually the top one does look pretty neat from the side. lol
      Joker
      The newest addition to the Family!
      sigpic
      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Wow, thats bad!!
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

ugly !!!!!!! look like mine lol j/p

Comment

Just turn it over and your good to go.
            "Don't mess with a nation, that needs medication"- Christopher Titus-

Comment

That chain could do with some LUB..........

Tok

Comment

Very nice macro photography work!

Oh, and a little 40W motor oil and you're good for another 50,000 miles!

Comment

What camera/lens are you using. Pretty good shots!

Comment

wowsers!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by krayman View Post
                      What camera/lens are you using. Pretty good shots!
                      Casio EX-Z1080, subcompact point and shoot. I just make sure it focuses where I want it and have plenty of light (or use the flash). Since they're 10MP pictures, I can crop it down for a close-up and still end up with a large picture. I really like the subcompact Exilim cameras, they're small enough it's not inconvenient to take them everywhere, good picture quality, and amazing battery life.

Comment

I'd pay a bit more attention to chain maintenance on your new setup - usually every third fuel up a shot of chain wax or oil is all it takes.
                        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
                          Casio EX-Z1080, subcompact point and shoot. I just make sure it focuses where I want it and have plenty of light (or use the flash). Since they're 10MP pictures, I can crop it down for a close-up and still end up with a large picture. I really like the subcompact Exilim cameras, they're small enough it's not inconvenient to take them everywhere, good picture quality, and amazing battery life.
                          WOW! I'm impressed. Great shots for a point and shoot. I'll have to try that with my little canon.

Comment

Originally posted by krayman View Post
                            WOW! I'm impressed. Great shots for a point and shoot. I'll have to try that with my little canon.
                            Well, I lost the camera a couple days ago. Best I can figure, it fell out of my jacket pocket while riding.

Fortunately, the only pictures on it were a series of photos I took that evening while riveting my chain.

This is the second time I've lost this exact same model of camera, both times while riding. The first time it fell out of my jeans pocket cause I didn't shove it in the pocket very far. This time I think I forgot to snap the jacket pocket shut. I now have two battery chargers for this camera but no camera. Maybe this time I'll learn. ****.

(yeah that icon is awesome)

Comment

Working...
                            X